2005-2014 Tacoma Safari Snorkel

Wasatch

Observer
Saw this on Tacomaworld:

imagejpg2_zps5fa728d9.jpg

No Part Number yet, but pretty exciting to have a direct fit snorkel from Safari.

Anyone have more insight ?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
We are VERY excited to hear this is finally coming to fruition. It has been rumored off/on for the last few years but the Safari Snorkel engineers were recently in the US and it was a priority application. :cool:

We have been offering the 2nd Gen Tacoma retrofit kit for many years and have sold and installed hundreds of them. While we feel it was the best kit available given the offering, it wasn't 100% perfect and a true application was often a topic of conversation during our continue talks with ARB and Safari.

On the shelf soon* :D

*As soon as they are available. Pricing and part number should pop up in the next few months, inventory to the US Spring of 2015. In the meantime we still have a limited amount of the retrofit snorkels and will be closing them out as the new release draws closer. I'll be at the new Tacoma prototype (at SEMA) in a few hours and will snap some close-ups and suc

Last edited:

chmura

Adventurer
I'm very happy to hear they are coming out with a Safari Snorkel for the 2nd gen Tacoma.

I am still disappointed that it took over 10 years to do so. The Tacoma has been out from 2003 - 2015+ years. That's a long long time! ARB has enough resources that they could of make it come out sooner.

I also do not buy that it takes lots of research and development to produce these. All the research has been done already. They already have their recipe for their plastic formulation they use, all they have to do is do a virtual scan of the fender and pillar and send out the dimensions to the plastic formulation company.

Also the 2003 - 2009 Toyota 4runner shares the same engine as the Tacoma. So all it takes for development is just to get the dimensions of the snorkel correct. The rest is clamps and tubing.

I'm still happy to see this, I hope they make one for the 4th and 5th gen 4runner now as there is purely a market for these here in the U.S.

Also someone mentioned on another forum that the reason why these are not made for North American trucks is because of a lack of communication between ARB Australia folks with ARB North American people which is truly disappointing.

Last edited:

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
Alright... I've got guestions about the use / function / or need for a snorkle. I was under the impression that it was to move the air intake up to keep the engine from flooding when fording deep water. I've also heard some people say that it keeps dust out of the intake, thus making the filters last longer. Most of the vehicles I see with snorkles are usually polished, shiney, have a spotless undercarrage, unscratched armor, no red-neck pin striping, and in the parking lot of the mall or some other yuppie infested area (I live and work in the Dallas metroplex and you will not believe the number of fully outfitted JKs with 3 plus light bars, roll cages/roof racks, LED EVERYTHING, huge tires, and look like 4 wheel parts catalogue vomited on them...). Could someone (without being a jerk about it) please explain the real world need of a snorkle?

Thanks,
Rick

chmura

Adventurer
Alright... I've got guestions about the use / function / or need for a snorkle. I was under the impression that it was to move the air intake up to keep the engine from flooding when fording deep water. I've also heard some people say that it keeps dust out of the intake, thus making the filters last longer. Most of the vehicles I see with snorkles are usually polished, shiney, have a spotless undercarrage, unscratched armor, no red-neck pin striping, and in the parking lot of the mall or some other yuppie infested area (I live and work in the Dallas metroplex and you will not believe the number of fully outfitted JKs with 3 plus light bars, roll cages/roof racks, LED EVERYTHING, huge tires, and look like 4 wheel parts catalogue vomited on them...). Could someone (without being a jerk about it) please explain the real world need of a snorkle?

Thanks,
Rick

I believe for most people it would be the fear water getting into the engine for needing a snorkel. Engine air filters are cheap, repairs for hydro locking an engine is not.

ybu5y3y7.jpg

eqemuna2.jpg

y9y5ezup.jpg

Last edited:

slooowr6

Explorer
Does snorkel provide cooler intake air? Does the snorkel create wind noise at highway speed?
I've a supercharger on my Taco and the idea of having cooler intake air is nice.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
A snorkel is very practical, if you think about it long enough. :snorkel:

Go Safari. Run from Airflow. I'll be buying a new fender (if necessary) to ditch the hated Airflow and put on a proper Safari unit. So happy this seems to be finally coming out!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I'm wondering about all the folks that have done the SS-135 retrofit kit - and cut holes - will the new snorkel require a new fender and different placement of holes drilled in the A pillar?

Is there really any difference in airflow (CFM) delivered to the 1GR-FE or would the change to this new snorkel be purely for cosmetics?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier