Texas to California and back in a formerly derelict 1966 VW Beetle

slowlane

Observer
Here are some more pictures from the Utah portion of the trip.

Black Dragon Canyon from the I-70 overlook.
15566406777_cff52ddaca_c.jpg

Black Dragon Canyon
15566405797_5aae7be1a5_c.jpg

San Rafael Swell I-70 overlook
15566136198_8b969fb15d_c.jpg

I-70 winds down into another hot Utah valley.
15131617034_ee3a5679a3_c.jpg

The Utah desert horizon was sometimes filled with thunderstorms that I never quite reached.
15565707759_679c8a7e3a_c.jpg

The gravel road along I-70.
15566475527_4165ccc095_c.jpg

Almost in any direction there were spectacular views along this road.
15727858546_624a34c19d_c.jpg

One of two old rail tunnels the road went through.
15566745280_7f2fc1e20b_c.jpg

Descending out of the mountains toward Salina, UT.
15566211538_3283d62678_c.jpg

Barrows

Adventurer
Thanks for posting the trip report, it looks like a blast. This is such a nice change from the roof top tent, engel fridge, carry the whole house with me trip reports. What was your camping setup like?

slowlane

Observer
Thanks for posting the trip report, it looks like a blast. This is such a nice change from the roof top tent, engel fridge, carry the whole house with me trip reports. What was your camping setup like?

I had an REI Halfdome, a lightweight sleeping bag, and a pillow. I didn't bring cooking provisions, so I just ate at restaurants along the way and bought crackers, chips, apples and gallon jugs of water for on the road snacking. Pretty basic. I found plans to build a folding cot that fits in the Beetle after you remove the passenger and rear seats, allowing a 6'3" person to sleep inside the car. I might build that setup for a longer trip that will hopefully happen the summer after next.

slowlane

Observer
The great thing about the desert is that unlike Dallas, it actually cooled off nicely overnight leaving me with a nice

dry morning with temperatures in the mid 60’s. I performed the a little VW maintenance (oil level and a quick timing

check), packed up, filled up with gas and headed out into the desert. The desert was kind to the Volkswagen and me, with

clouds covering the majority of the sky for about half the morning. The VW buzzed merrily along this practically empty

section of highway, strained up a small mountain pass, and cruised along the next valley floor to the Nevada state line,

only coming across four other vehicles the whole way.

I stopped for gas at a station on the Utah/Nevada border and saw two filthy motorcycles with large gas tanks and gear

packed on them. I asked the owners if they were riding the Trans America Trail, which passes very near here, and sure

enough, that was exactly what they were doing. They had started in Colorado and were on their way to Oregon. We talked

about riding the TAT for a bit, which is something I plan to do one day. The riders and I wished each other luck and then

headed off on our separate ways. The drive from the state line to Ely had some truly amazing views.

In Ely, Nevada I gassed up and continue west onto the “Loneliest Road in America”. This section of US-50, from Ely to

Fallon, Nevada, definitely has very little traffic, but I would hardly consider it the loneliest road. Heck I was on some

much lonelier stretches on my own trip, and I am sure thousands of miles of more deserted stretches of road exist than I

was even on. I am sure the “Loneliest Road” title has probably contributed to more traffic than there was before the

title. In any case, it was a really nice road with plenty of empty-black-top-strip-to-the-horizon views to be had. There

is just something that captivates me about a long, straight road disappearing into the distance. It has that staring into

infinity feel to it and I love those roads, even though the act of driving on them is less than exciting.

There were several passes to be crossed, and the one I remember most was Austin Pass. I pulled over at the crest to give

the hard working Volkswagen engine a rest and there were three bicyclists also taking a break at the top. I had seen a

bicycle or two here and there all through Utah and Nevada, loaded down for travel, as the three on this pass were. I asked

them what all the bicyclists were up to and they told me that US-50 is also a bicycle route for Pennsylvania to

California. They said they had left Pennsylvania 46 days ago and were on their way to the end in CA. I have great respect

for that, as I could feel the elevation affecting me just walking around at the top of those passes, much less riding a

bicycle up them all. The road wound down to the town of Austin, Nevada where I had lunch and continued westward.

While heading toward Fallon, NV I saw some dark objects swirling up and down by the side of the road ahead of me. It

looked like vultures or something fighting over some road-kill. As I got closer, I realized it was a large dust devil

tossing tumbleweeds into the air and it was now across the whole road right in front of me. The clouds had obscured the

dust column from far away so I hadn’t realized what it was at first. With no way to avoid an impact I pushed down on the

gas and braced the steering wheel. The VW was momentarily pummeled by a hail of tumbleweeds and wind. A small piece of

tumbleweed was still stuck on the left rear fender when I pulled into Fallon and ended my day. Tomorrow I would be in

California!

Shoe tree at the edge of Hinckley, UT on US-50
15193815283_535d8dae5a_c.jpg

The vanishing point.
15193311654_a2d40dd39c_c.jpg

This was one of my favorite views of the whole trip. The picture does not really convey the true immensity of that rocky peak. I was in awe.
15814830912_aac211fb35_c.jpg

Cooling off in the Nevada desert. The VW wasn't really overheating, I just found that opening the hood let the heat escape quicker while taking a break after long highway runs in this hot climate.
15628084307_dedc9904f3_c.jpg

Four nicely spaced clouds and sage brush to eternity.
15627457109_4bed9a4791_c.jpg

Sand Mountain almost glows against its darker surroundings.
15813267085_b0a8c6ede4_c.jpg

I cannot remember what Nevada road this was (maybe State Route 722).
15789587686_1b3d9a9d18_c.jpg

It really was amazingly empty through much of Nevada.
15811378691_61e4ee9773_c.jpg

The VW on NV-722.
15193817233_b6322af77b_c.jpg

722 gets twisty going up a pass.
15628079997_cc0ff066cb_c.jpg

On the pass there were lots of these flowers along the side of the road. The beauty of flower itself was deceptive, as every square inch of the remainder of the plant was covered in thorns.
15813265215_54cd40b219_c.jpg

15628083667_ec34f386bd_c.jpg

15193819583_308df578b5_c.jpg

The mineral layering on some of these mountains was incredibly pronounced.
15193821373_53ce0e6747_c.jpg

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Tim - What a great trip! My first car was a '64 Beattle the color of your passenger door. Makes me wonder (and hope) if a piece of that old bug still lives on and is along for the ride. Driving a 40 HP car makes you slow down and you have time to see the world around you. You miss that racing down the road.

Safe travels and keep posting!

Buckstopper

YetiX

Great thread! I had a '67 Bug that I restored with my step-dad when I was in high school. It was the same color as the majority of yours. The 12v electrical system was a great upgrade over the '66 as was the bigger engine.

I love threads like this that are "different" and involve seeing our world from a different perspective. Thanks for taking us along!

SSEITEL

BoneStock
Slow lane, great story! More, please. Your pictures inspire me; you're an accomplished photographer. I know it's the skill that counts, but can you tell us something about your camera equipment antway?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94