Texas to California and back in a formerly derelict 1966 VW Beetle

slowlane

Observer
Just happen to run across this trip and was scrolling through the pictures, turns out the Victory school is just a few miles east of where I live. The school closed in the mid 60's and the students transferred to Davidson where I live. The school was first bought by a local farmer who turned it in to a house for his hired hand and his family. I went to school with those kids. Each kid had a whole classroom for a bedroom! And a gymnasium to play in. Years later was purchased by the now owner who used it as a headquarters for his farming operation. He has since retired from farming and has just let it go. Sad to see. Thanks for sharing your trip.

Craig Gaines
Davidson, Oklahoma

Thank you for the brief history of the Victory school. Although I enjoy exploring and photographing them, it is a bit sad to see all the ruins and dying towns throughout the Great Plains, especially ones that you had a personal connection to.

slowlane

Observer
Heading out for another cross-country trip with the '66 VW

Well my grand plans of traveling the country living out of my '85 Chevrolet C20 came to an abrupt halt all of 4 days before departure. Over the past week or so it developed a bad wrist pin knock in the number 5 piston. So the '66 VW is going back in action at the last minute. I filed and gapped the points, adjusted the timing and valve lash, changed the oil, aired up the spare tire, dug out my tent and sleeping bag and am getting ready to head out on Monday for 2 months on the road. I am a bit bummed because I sunk time and money into the truck getting new tires, a bed cap, and building a sleeping platform. Oh well, I am looking forward to another, albeit impromptu, VW adventure. I'll make sure to do a report after the trip is over.

slowlane

Observer
Well the day is here and the VW is packed up to go. It will be interesting to see how two months of living out of a VW Beetle will pan out. I am not taking a computer along so I will do a full report when I return mid-August.

The VW and I ready to set off.
DSCF5750 by louiethespelunker, on Flickr

Pretty basic packing job. Food, propane grille, and clothes are on back seat. Tent and sleeping stuff behind the seat. Spare parts and tools under the hood. water and other stuff on the front floor.
DSCF5748 by louiethespelunker, on Flickr
DSCF5749 by louiethespelunker, on Flickr

See you in August!

Ultralite

Adventurer
Wish I had seen this earlier, there's a great thread on the VW site "the samba" that shows people building a sleep platform inside the Beetle by taking the passenger and backseat out.

Oh well, looking forward to your write up!

ifixpc

Observer
I really enjoyed your report.
I'm a VW guy myself, however never got to own a beetle, yet.
It's great to see that big trips can be done with smaller efforts. Just like the others said, "no fridge, no 4x4, no fancy shmancy stuff" and it's still doable.

Best of all trip well planned with no gps, but regular maps. I remember when I was 18 I took my first road trip with only a map and went from NJ to mid WI.
It's not hard and more enjoyable to plan out a trip and use maps along.

I'm looking forward to your next report!

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
This thread brings back memories! I drove coast to coast in a Beetle in 1968. The car was so loaded down with my stuff that I had to sit with the seat all the way forward. I stopped to ski in New Mexico and Colorado along the way. Life was more simple in those days.

justcuz

Explorer
Love to see the last trip report too.
You mentioned checking the timing quite frequently. I've owned several bugs and the points and the fuel pump pins were more of a concern than timing.
I used to replace the bug shifter with a Karmann Ghia shifter, it was much more comfortable.
Those bugs were truly a versitlle car, I never hesitated going down any dirt road with mine and it seldom got stuck.
When it did it was easy to jack up and shove some more dirt or rocks in the holes and putter out of them.
My favorite bug was my 1958 that was an oxidized salmon color, with a sunroof.

bamboozelled by a beauty in beaufort
scalped by a skin walker in tsegi
over run by a flock of flightless fowl in farmington,
last i heard he set up shop in cisco utah as the town's vw mechanic.
there was rumor he was opening a branch in taos, in john muirs old shop.
but thats just gossip.....

honestly this write up is a delightful mix of
zen and the art, and muirs idiots guide. how much fun can one fellow have?

unkamonkey

Explorer
I see the joke. I've been through Cisco UT many times and have never seen a VW there. Taos, I could believe...
Yeah, I drove a Bug for many years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94