5.4 triton finally dead at 250k I think

98dango

Expedition Leader
So my beloved Super Duty just turned 250k. I have never had a problem with this truck not a real one. She is not a power house but gets the job done. So I lent it to my brother in law he's 17 wanted to go camping/hunting with friends. My truck is outfitted with winches topper and crew cab so they could all ride together save gas. Today I get the dreaded call a very shook up kid my first thought was the worst. Once I get him calmed down and speaking English again. I find out they where pulling a tree back to camp heard a loud knocking and oil poring out. So I calmly assure him this gs happen it can be fixed. I'm not home so I sent a buddy with a duramax up to drop off my extra truck and tow my Super Duty back. He feels the motor is gone be not a mechanic by any means. I won't get to see it till Thursday mid day.

Now the truck is very clean for a 2000 it is a 5.4. Every one wants more power a diesel swap is out of the question the return is not there. Would a v 10 be worth looking in to.

Oh and the kids are doing good only 2 tags left to fill.

And yes there is adults there with them.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
He probably was working it hard, but it was due anyways at 250k. I would put a salvageyard 5.4 back in it. Anything more and your throwing good money after bad.

mires

Adventurer
I can't imagine it's a coincidence that this happened while it was on loan to a group of 17 year olds? And then you sent him another truck? You're a better man than me.

98dango

Expedition Leader
That's my thought or a new one. My wife and father in law both work for a parts house so I get pretty good deals on parts.

There is always the more power want tho.

260 hp 360 tq stock is not alot in a 6000 lb truck.

310 hp and 425 tq from a v 10 is better if 8th not to much hassle.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I can't imagine it's a coincidence that this happened while it was on loan to a group of 17 year olds? And then you sent him another truck? You're a better man than me.

He is a very good kid honor roll all that jazz. He is always there when I nee a hand. It's not like it's a brand new truck that's never been beat on. I use it as a truck so it happens. He offered to buy a new motor about 20 times . When I get home I'll see what's broke for sure and make a plan then.

MikeBoyle

Observer
Dropping in a used or reman is going to be the most cost affective. Unless you can find a wrecked V10 truck as a donor vehicle, trying to do a powertrain swap is going to cost 3 times what you think it will.

Rot Box

Explorer
Oh man sorry to hear the bad news. 250k is a ripe ol' age for most any gas V8. I'd throw in a quality re-man 5.4 with decent warrantee and hit the road. Nice truck and worth putting money into. Best of luck,

Seabass

Idiot
I agree with Rot Box. I got a 97- F-350 crew cab long bed with 300k on it. It's got a 351 and a 5spd. It'll get another 351 when this one goes. I say keep it simple. In another 250k the truck will probably be done anyway. Good luck!

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
That's my thought or a new one. My wife and father in law both work for a parts house so I get pretty good deals on parts.

There is always the more power want tho.

260 hp 360 tq stock is not alot in a 6000 lb truck.

310 hp and 425 tq from a v 10 is better if 8th not to much hassle.

350 hp, 400 tq is childs play with a 5.4L. It's not like the old Dodge 5.8's, the 5.4 will make power if you want to fix one up. It'll still just be a slow 7000 pound truck though, no matter what. Big iron, is big iron.

mdmead

Adventurer
I've got an (early) V-10 in mine and wish for more power... but that being said, if you have been happy with your truck, I'd stick with the 5.4L. Would be a lot less work.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Well just spent ten minutes under my truck and the 250k 5.4 lives well enough to buts the adapter between trans and transfer case. The skid plate is bent in a way the oil pored out the front looking as tho it came from motor.

Freebird

Adventurer
I had a 97 Expedition I put about 140k on. Same engine. Good rig, no problems, regular service.
My son in the SF military needed a rig, so I passed it to him and bought a new rig. It was still in great shape.
Well, my son treated it like he got it free (he did). Abused the hell out of it, maintainence on occasion, typically full gas pedal or a bunch of brake. Always heavily loaded with metal drawers full of heavy gear. Highway speeds well beyond the speed limits (if he got stopped by LEO, he got verbal warnings since he is SF). Any how he was ZOOMING home for Christmas in middle o nowhere Nevada one year, and thinking how good a ride the rig had been, and a few minutes later the engine threw a rod at 240+k miles, and it was DONE. The rig had been abused at they point, so he sold it to be parted out (it had good tires, fresh airbag helpers, other nice mods).
I was AMAZED how well it had done with 100k of tuff love heaped on my milage!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne