Flashlight flavor of the month

JackW

Explorer
Both of youze guys are bad influences - I went to Costco today to pick up some LED shop lights and saw that 1000 lumen flashlight - somehow it wound up in the cart too....

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
My name is workerdrone, I have a flashlight problem :)

I'm still giddy with the capabilities of LED's ever since the first days of night hiking when I switched out my 4 C cell Petzl halogen headlamp that ran for a couple hours for an LED model that took 4 AA's and ran for about 900 hours straight, putting out a feeble orange light that was barely adequate to see the trail right in front of my feet.

I have paid over $200 for a flashlight. Twice.

Anyway, thought this could be a thread maybe to post screaming deals on decent flashlights - I just bought this one on Amazone last week and I'm pretty impressed -

single AA power, runs great on rechargeables, adjustable flood to spot, darn bright, and -

FOUR bucks free shipping. I'm ordering a few more for stocking stuffers and glove compartments.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006VPPERC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AJZCU7R4O66L8

The problem I have so far with lights like this is the aluminum threads seem to wear out pretty fast and then they won't close or stay closed. Hello, Fenix. Or they're so small they get forgotten in pockets and go through the washer and come out dead on the other side.

But for sub $20 lights, they just keep getting brighter every month and I can't resist trying a new one every once in a while.

Ordered this one, should be in on Monday.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
I got crazy the last time I was at Costco. They had a display of the Duracell LED flashlights I ended up buying a second 3 pack of the 300 lumens lights and a 1000 lumen light.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Eveready 3x LED dry cell lantern in the check-out line at Home Depot $4.97.

This is the LED version of the venerable dry cell lantern we have all seen for decades. They purport that the LED version will burn 10x longer. In my experience, that may be a conservative estimate.

5109LS_large.jpg

Bought that at target, the switch worked when it wanted to. I returned it and bought a different one from a local hardware store, so far so good.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Both of youze guys are bad influences - I went to Costco today to pick up some LED shop lights and saw that 1000 lumen flashlight - somehow it wound up in the cart too....
LEDs are crack and Costco is the crack dealer...

Hit Mike in the head with the butt-end of the flashlight and drag your two arses to CFW next Saturday. Sit by the fire and trade some lies with the common folk.

lugueto

Adventurer
Its funny how that "flashlight flavor of the month" sentence screams Candlepowerforum membership

For some reason, flashlights are one of the things where I can't bring myself to buy cheap equipment. I own a couple Surefire lights, Petzl headlamps and I believe Maglite LED 3D's are the cheapest lights I own, but they sure aren't bad. I refuse to buy Walmart specials for myself (or CostCo, for that matter). Note: I can honestly say I am no collector, I am a strict user. Same applies with knives, guns and gear. I have no drawer or safe queens so every bit of equipment I have gets used and needs to last, that's why I don't buy cheap stuff.

Now, for loaners I have a few Energizer lights that aren't half bad really, but I dont see them lasting very long. I also have a few of those Chinese Bass Pro Shop-branded 9 LED lights that can be bought in packs of 5 for something like 5 bucks around the house so the family always knows where to find a little light in case of a blackout or a similar situation.

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I have an expensive Surefire light, and it's ok. Ironically, it's the only light I've owned that needed repaired (switch wore out), but Surefire did the repair for free so it's all good. It's only about 300 lumen though (I think?).

But reading this thread motivated me to head into Costco. I couldn't find the 1000 lumen Duracell light initially. Store mgr looked them up, had 115 in stock. Turns out a guy about 5 minutes ahead of me took the entire pallet of them! We talked, but he wouldn't give any up. So I went to another Costco (there are 5 of them with 25 miles of my house), and got a couple. That same dude was there too, buying another case of them!

Pretty happy with the flashlight, though it is now the only thing in the house that takes Type C batteries. I also got the three pack of 300 lumen Duracell AA LED lights. I think these are even better than the big one, certainly for general use.

I saw the $40 Snap-on LED work light. Looked pretty well made, bright and cool to the touch. Nice.

What really got my motor turning was the fluorescent strip look-alike LED shop lights. $35 each. They are $120 or so at Home Depot.....

BigRedXJ

Adventurer
I'm a big fan of Fenix lights, but for $9, this looks pretty good!
CREE XM-L T6 LED Bright 2000 Lumens Adjustable Focus Flashlight Torch Lamp
http://www.amazon.com/Enjoydeal-Bri...cp_4_YF12?ie=UTF8&refRID=1A12KACR9G1AZ8EDTQPG
41qvOsxIOsL.jpg

I just got this delivered today actually. Interesting focus on it. The front part slides back and forth like a cheap telescope. Its built pretty well and has a good weight to it, but it certainly doesn't have the advertised light output. It will light up the back edge of my yard about 50 yards away well enough to see my pug when I let him out, but not as good as the cheap Home Depot light I have. I do like the flood pattern though as it evenly spreads the beam without focusing it all all. I think it'll be good for camp prep work and cooking due to the wide spread. If it had a better light output I could see it selling for more due to how well the case it built. Its worth $9, but its certainly nothing to write home about.

EDIT: I found out my dog finds it quite fascinating. Totally worth $9 for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F_r8q123ZQ

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Explorer
Anyone try these: http://www.costco.com/Feit-LED-Flas...-|-Batteries-Included.product.100134566.html?

And I'm wondering if one could get some sort of rechargeable LiOn into 'em.

I bought a 2-pack of the 500lm ones about a year or so back.

Quite well-made as far as the aluminum housing and machining goes, but the 500 lumens claim was a bit optimistic (especially when focused tight), maybe more like 150-300 lumens just guessing (it's between the brightness of the 2nd & 3rd-brightest of 4 settings on my Fenix 800lm light). Also, it's quite hard on batteries (I measured 2 amps on fresh alkaline cells, which this (and it's brightness) will quickly start to drop as the batteries begin to be consumed).
Light color is typical bluish-tinged LED flashlight flavor.
I find the focus ("zoom") moves around on it's own if you don't hold onto it while gripping the light.

Given their price (I paid $25 on sale for my two 500s, $30 normally) I would still say they're a great deal.

HRPINDC

Adventurer
So I decided that I wanted a second really good flashlight. There are some things I don't think are wise to go cheap on, flashlights being one of them. While I have plenty of cheap-o lights around, I also want a couple of good ones. I really liked my Fenix E25, so I picked up a Fenix PD35-2014 that came with the 18650 rechargeable battery and a Nitecore D2 digital charger. This is one nice light. At max it can put out 960 lumens, which is really bright. It has five brightness settings and a strobe. I also like that it can run on the 18650 rechargeable battery or two CR123 batteries. I can't wait to go camping and try it out in the woods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94