Flashlight flavor of the month

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
My name is workerdrone, I have a flashlight problem :)

I'm still giddy with the capabilities of LED's ever since the first days of night hiking when I switched out my 4 C cell Petzl halogen headlamp that ran for a couple hours for an LED model that took 4 AA's and ran for about 900 hours straight, putting out a feeble orange light that was barely adequate to see the trail right in front of my feet.

I have paid over $200 for a flashlight. Twice.

Anyway, thought this could be a thread maybe to post screaming deals on decent flashlights - I just bought this one on Amazone last week and I'm pretty impressed -

single AA power, runs great on rechargeables, adjustable flood to spot, darn bright, and -

FOUR bucks free shipping. I'm ordering a few more for stocking stuffers and glove compartments.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006VPPERC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AJZCU7R4O66L8

The problem I have so far with lights like this is the aluminum threads seem to wear out pretty fast and then they won't close or stay closed. Hello, Fenix. Or they're so small they get forgotten in pockets and go through the washer and come out dead on the other side.

But for sub $20 lights, they just keep getting brighter every month and I can't resist trying a new one every once in a while.

SlowCarFast

Candlepowerforum is great! I had a zebralight that I loved that got killed by a bad battery (never again will I use alkalines). One of these days I'll get another one but it can be tough for me to justify dropping $70 on a light!

fullofdays

Wondering Wanderer
I bought 4 of these last year and they are good for the money. They arent waterproof and they arent 400 lumens but are good for what you are paying. The lens is kinda wonky.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I'm addicted to the 3-pack of Duracell branded waterproff LEDs (aluminum housing) from Costco. 15 bucks including batteries... high and low setting... great lights.

61urMYpBLYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

climber-420

Adventurer
My name is workerdrone, I have a flashlight problem :)

I'm still giddy with the capabilities of LED's ever since the first days of night hiking when I switched out my 4 C cell Petzl halogen headlamp that ran for a couple hours for an LED model that took 4 AA's and ran for about 900 hours straight, putting out a feeble orange light that was barely adequate to see the trail right in front of my feet.

I have paid over $200 for a flashlight. Twice.

Anyway, thought this could be a thread maybe to post screaming deals on decent flashlights - I just bought this one on Amazone last week and I'm pretty impressed -

single AA power, runs great on rechargeables, adjustable flood to spot, darn bright, and -

FOUR bucks free shipping. I'm ordering a few more for stocking stuffers and glove compartments.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006VPPERC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AJZCU7R4O66L8

The problem I have so far with lights like this is the aluminum threads seem to wear out pretty fast and then they won't close or stay closed. Hello, Fenix. Or they're so small they get forgotten in pockets and go through the washer and come out dead on the other side.

But for sub $20 lights, they just keep getting brighter every month and I can't resist trying a new one every once in a while.

I would suggest you contact 1 of the distributors, such as Fenix Lighting, located in Denver, and I am sure that they will take really good care of you, seeing as how Fenix comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I bought some of those $4 flashlights you linked. I could nitpick a lot of things about that flashlight, but they are a great deal at $4. Lots of light and they have been holding up great.

I have numerous expensive flashlights (Surefire, Streamlight, etc). They are great, but I have them because they were issued through work. In other words, I didn't pay for them. As good as they are, I wouldn't spend $50-100 on them. They are WAY better than the $4 flashlight, but not 20x better. It is tough to justify spending that kind of money when there are so many decent LED flashlights for under $10.

My favorite flashlight that hits a real good cost/quality ratio is the Streamlight Scorpion LED. They can be found for about $30 and are a quality light. The downside is they use 123 batteries, but luckily I get those through work as well. It also seems like the prices of high end flashlights have come down, presumably from more players in the market and cheap Chinese competition.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Yeah I could nitpick too but not for four bucks shipped to my front door :)

Thanks for the tip on Fenix warranty, hadn't really considered it but it was a really bright little single AAA model that was the perfect keychain light, maybe I'll send it in.

And yep, I've been on candlepower forum once or twice in the past - great site with lots of people that have the sickness far worse than me haha. Information overload, and I don't want to spend triple digit dollars on a light again so better I stay away.

another vote for an incredible light - streamlight nano. I bought my wife a pink one for a stocking stuffer, I don't like that they use button cells but dang it's the size of some of my vitamins and she's been using it regularly to find keyholes and stuff at the bottom of the purse, etc, for over a year now and kids have played with it, running around with it on, and it's still going strong on the original batteries. think it was $9.99?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Duracell lights from Costco ******.
Two of the 500 lumen (ha ha) for $25 including batteries.
I've had my set for a year now and on the first set of batteries still.

I still have a Leatherman flashlight, their first, that works great. Stainless steel, heavy as hell, ballistic cordura case, about 100 lumen.

mcskibadee1

Adventurer
I am a cyclist and there are no better lights than cycling lights. I got this niterider light for 120 shipped. They are local in san diego so if you ever have a problem you call them and actually talk to a human being and you send it to them. I had a battery go bad, sent it to them and they sent me a brand new light. I was only out 5 bucks for shipping.

I have used those little flashlights and they pretty much suck and you lose them and they break and you toss them. Spend a bit a of scratch and get one light that will be with you for hopefully the rest of your life. These literally are like having a flood beam and will light up a whole campsite. I love pulling it out when everyone is fumbling around with their 200 lumen lights.

Plus, they are usb rechargeable and have low, medium, high and blink settings.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I'd like to see you go to candlepower forums and say "I am a cyclist and there are no better lights than cycling lights". Whatever, as long as you're happy with them.

mcskibadee1

Adventurer
Is there something at the same pricepoint and size that is better? Serious question because I would love to know.

I am sure there are better quality lights but my comment was more at the hand held lights at that pricepoint.

rotti

Adventurer
I'm addicted to the 3-pack of Duracell branded waterproff LEDs (aluminum housing) from Costco. 15 bucks including batteries... high and low setting... great lights.

61urMYpBLYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Agreed.....great lights.
I have nine of them, in the house, garage, car, truck, bike, basement, camper, etc.
I like my Fenix much more but for the price these are great.

And, on edit, they have that great Costco warranty. Any problems, return it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz