Fenix,ambit,fenix2,ambit2???

madmaths

Observer
Hi!! Sorry again for my poor english! Its harder on my cell phone cause I don't have auto correction... Any way!

I'm looking at some gps watch ( for short running, hikking, snowboarding.....) so I'm looking at the suunto ambit and the garmin fenix... I found some very good deal from garmin refurbish for some fenix with HR band! ( 200$)! But any one could help me with this wich one is the best garmin or suunto?! Its worth to pay more to have a more recent version?? Thanks for your help!!

Howard70

Adventurer
Hello:

I have used a Fenix for the last 2.5 years. It is basically a sturdy track logger as I find the screen too small to be helpful with any navigation. The altitude can be estimated from barometric functions or the GPS #D fix just like many handheld units. Garmin is great at updating products with software updates that fix bugs and add new features. The problem is that there is no single "go to" place to figure out what the added functions are and how to use them. The electronic manuals are not updated with the new features as they come out.

If I'm training and thus trying to hold a certain speed for an interval or long steady distance it is more convenient than a hand held. I used to use Polar products when I was cycling seriously and I found them much better in terms of visibility, etc. At that time Polar wasn't doing GPS based motion recording so they weren't much help in the backcountry. I think Polar has some GPS based products now so you might look into those. Garmin Connect (an online site where you can upload, log and summarize your fenix data) is nice and I use it for keeping track of monthly and annual totals, etc. However, I haven't found a means of backing the Garmin Connect data on my hard drive - it's a cloud based system. That's convenient, but I like having a backup of my data in a format that can be opened in Excel when everything Garmin goes south.

Howard

htruter

Hi, i have a Fenix and use it for running and at times (when i forget to charge my Edge810) for cycling. Works great for my needs, though i do not run seriously. Nice gadget to keep track of Heart rate, speed, etc. And Like Howard said, GarminConnect is a nice app to keep all your data in useable format.

I had one of the first watch-gps units made by Suunto - the X9 i thnk it was called. Useless and so un-user friendly, but that was years ago, so can't comment on their new stuff.

I have quite a few Garmin gps' and will continue with them in the future...

H

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Storz

Explorer
I am happy with my Fenix, granted I don't use all of the features all the time. Its basically my daily wear watch that can do some neat GPS tricks while out on the trail or while running.

IMG_0302.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz