Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes a Land Rover Expedition?

Alaska Mike is offline Expedition Portal Moderator ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy

Default What makes a Land Rover Expedition?

10/08/08:
    The following is a thread that I, a new Land Rover owner, started a few months ago, trying to get a handle on the whole "Land Rover approach to wheeling". Land Rover (even in the early days) has always had a certain air that set it apart. Jeep has a similar, unique aura about it- a result of marketing and the vehicle's role in history. I was trying to put a finger on what set Land Rover apart so I didn't build it out of my project rig. It got a little heated there for a while and the anger spilled out into other threads, for which I apologize. I learned a lot about my new marque and about the different ways people approach it. Here is a slightly edited version. I removed a few posts that started to go a bit negative, but the honest, thoughtful responses are there. I don't think we settled anything (especially the Green/Black Oval thing), but it was fun while it lasted. Enjoy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Here's a question for you. I'm new to the Land Rover world, and seeing how my Rover is just a pile of parts and a dream, I have plenty of time to sit around and plan incredible adventures. So, what makes a Land Rover Expedition a Land Rover Expedition? What puts that indelible stamp on a trip sets it apart and makes you think it wouldn't be the same in any other marque (no brand-bashing please)?

Obviously there's the endless games of "what's that smell?", "what just fell off (and do I really need it?)", and "find the Whitworth" (among others), but can anyone quantify "it"?

Mikey,

You already know the answer to the question you are asking... Just think of the elements that made the Camel Trophy great.

That, or you need to spend some time on the galleries at Expedition Exchange. Pay particular attention to the FOOD!
    http://www.expeditionexchange.com/adventures/
    Scott Brady
    Overland Journal
    D1 | LJ78 | LR4 | MKIII | J8 | G-Wagen | Range Rover Classic | TE630

Scott, forget the food.

Mike, what kind LR did you get? Disco1 or Disco2?
    Ho Chung -- W6HC

I think there are two essential ingredients to truly be tied to land rover heritage. 1st is to lay the first tire tracks in uncharted territory (not many of those left). The second is the domination of the spartan ruggedness of wilderness in a classic British form, by creating a localized territory of civilization that moves with the vehicle, without leaving any permanence to the land.

Being miles away from the nearest paved road, enjoying a Shiraz with a well made game meat on a white cloth covered table illuminated by moonlight and campfire, and looking forward to a well earned Cameroon leaf Churchill pretty much says it all. Anything else is just is not keeping with the marque.

I have been traveling the Land Rover way since 1996. I also think that EE has the lifestyle mastered. One Life-Live it.

Land Rover Lifestyle tip: If you don't spend any time during trip prep thinking how to keep the wine bottles from breaking, you aren't planning a Land Rover trip.
    Last edited by overlander; 04-01-2008 at 01:42 PM.
    Mark
    Land Rover NAS 110 #234, 2.8 TGV Turbo Diesel
    HAM Tecnician call sign: KM4BOR
    Chronically suffering from wanderlust...
    My Land Rover Profile: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=35729

Shoot, just the uncertainty of the electronics, the fuel pump, the leaky tire, the dripping t-case, the loose exhaust manifold, whining water pump, worn out bushings and rusting tailgate, even a trip to the grocery store can be an expedition.

Oh wait, that's how I felt *before* I fixed everything.

Overlander's definition is pretty good too.
    Michael Slade

Quote Originally Posted by hochung
    Scott, forget the food.

Mike, what kind LR did you get? Disco1 or Disco2?
    Neither. 1973 Series III 88 SW. However, I'm wondering if there is a common thread from the Series rigs to the Disco II/P38 in terms of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike
    Neither. 1973 Series III 88 SW. However, I'm wondering if there is a common thread from the Series rigs to the Disco II/P38 in terms of experience.
    No pics...no proof!

Sweet buy and you'll have fun with it.

One thread that all LR's have in common is the need for constant preventative maintenance. Other than that, I don't think the trucks you mentioned share anything at all other than a name (even the badges are different).
    Michael Slade

The smell of 90wt and red and yellow levers

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Slade
    No pics...no proof!

Sweet buy and you'll have fun with it.
    Proof:
    http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9232

I don't know if it's a sweet buy, but it is a decent project. I'm not expecting it to see the road for more than a year, depending on how the parts fall into my lap and how much time I have to slap them together. Right now it's still a little cold to do much wrenching, but it's getting close. I might do some work on the axles this weekend and start working on the springs.

Hltoppr is offline Overland Training Alumni
    Expedition Portal Moderator
    El Gringo Spectacular!
    Geez...I think just havin' an old Series Rover and going to the local market cranks up the cool factor to 11! Seriously, rovers are just great rigs, that really epitomize the adventure spirit....

Now, ya'll know that I'm a Land Cruiser fan, but I would take an old rover any day! (Although I'd keep the Cruiser for back up.... )

-H-
    Andrew

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast