What makes a Land Rover Expedition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlander

Expedition Leader
DaveInDenver said:
I really like that Rovers have such a dedicated following, that is very cool. But you can substitute in your statement as follows for the Toyota lifestyle and it's not really far off.
wine bottle = beer bottle
Shiraz = Aizu Wakamatsu Heukmi
game meat = fish taco
Cameroon leaf Churchill = left to one's blunt imagination...

I think you have successfully defined the ying-yang diversity of the Rover versus Toyota communities.

durango_60

Explorer
DaveInDenver said:
I really like that Rovers have such a dedicated following, that is very cool. But you can substitute in your statement as follows for the Toyota lifestyle and it's not really far off.
wine bottle = beer bottle
Shiraz = Aizu Wakamatsu Heukmi
game meat = fish taco
Cameroon leaf Churchill = left to one's blunt imagination...

Do I dare translate into Jeep?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Almost any vehicle can be classified as Expedition Equipped with the addition on one simple accessory........... The Overland Journal sticker to the rear side window. Everything else is bling ;)

TeriAnn

Explorer
overlander said:
Being miles away from the nearest paved road, enjoying a Shiraz with a well made game meat on a white cloth covered table illuminated by moonlight and campfire, and looking forward to a well earned Cameroon leaf Churchill pretty much says it all. Anything else is just is not keeping with the marque.

That sure sounds like what the BMW & Ford marketing folks have told us about the green oval lifestyle.

Your lifestyle description may represent the ultimate green oval lifestyle but it has been my observation that the black oval lifestyle tends to be a little more blue collar and runs the gamut from cheap beer and eating directly out of an unheated can of beans through gourmet dining.

Black oval owners tend to be individualists with different lifestyles, different preferences and different ways of living. Rugged individualists who tend to ignore social fads. Near as I can tell, about the only thing that most all black oval drivers have in common as a "lifestyle" is the love of the black oval, love and respect for nature and a strong tendency to tread lightly. Everything else is subject to individual tastes.

overlander said:
Land Rover Lifestyle tip: If you don't spend any time during trip prep thinking how to keep the wine bottles from breaking, you aren't planning a Land Rover trip.

I haven't worried about wine bottles breaking for decades. Go to most any wine tasting room and you will find wine offered for sale in wooden boxes that can be shipped via common carrier. Flat boxes of different sizes that can hold from 2 through 4 bottles side by side, each separated by a wood divider. Wine bottles stored in those wood boxes take up minimal space and protect the bottles from most anything. Stack them, stack stuff on them and the wine is protected.

An important aspect is knowing which wines to bring along. One should never bring an aged wine on an off road trip because they are too delicate to handle the shaking and deliver the full flavour you get from the aging process. I personally prefer to bring wines no older than 4 years. The younger wines just seem to stand up to the abuse better.

Personally I usually pack a bottle of a hearty zinfandel, a bottle of dry reisling and a second red, usually a Southern Rhone or Spanish. I also tend to bring along a few bottles of my favorite ales as well.

My Land Rover also has a built in tea cabinet that can hold up to 7 varieties of tea (room for 7 tea boxes).

Yorker

Adventurer
overlander said:
I
Being miles away from the nearest paved road, enjoying a Shiraz with a well made game meat on a white cloth covered table illuminated by moonlight and campfire, and looking forward to a well earned Cameroon leaf Churchill pretty much says it all. Anything else is just is not keeping with the marque.

What?! Is that a coiler thing?! Perhaps this illustrates a difference in perception of the marque amongst LR enthusiasts... The leafsprung adventures I've been on have involved bonfires with whisky, G&T, and beer, Marmite or roast beef or coldcut sandwiches and definitely no fine linen tablecloth in sight. No Cameroon leaf Churchills either just coffin nail Camels...

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
No matter how the question is asked it seems that the answers will inevitably digress down an all too familiar path.

Last edited:

overlander

Expedition Leader
TeriAnn said:
That sure sounds like what the BMW & Ford marketing folks have told us about the green oval lifestyle.
Terri, I respectfully disagree. Ford and BMW wanted Land Rover to be the vehicle that get's you to the Opera during a snowstorm. Not one that takes you to remote unpaved places.

TeriAnn said:
Rugged individualists who tend to ignore social fads.

There are no social fads in the bush. Please don't peg me as such, as I don't follow them either, and the bush is where I prefer to be.

TeriAnn said:
I haven't worried about wine bottles breaking for decades. ... My Land Rover also has a built in tea cabinet that can hold up to 7 varieties of tea (room for 7 tea boxes).

Terri, I think you helped me make my point here. I did realize the one caviat exception for my tip is if you have already solved for how to carry the wine, but didn't want to overexplain things. :friday:

overlander

Expedition Leader
Yorker said:
Perhaps this illustrates a difference in perception of the marque amongst LR enthusiasts......

OK, you win. I still think that Black and Green have more in common than you and Terri state, but I have not effectively articulated it. I hope Graham chimes in and salvages my point.

You Black Oval folks are tough!

Yorker

Adventurer
overlander said:
OK, you win. I still think that Black and Green have more in common than you and Terri state, but I have not effectively articulated it. I hope Graham chimes in and salvages my point.

You Black Oval folks are tough!

Wine storage:
frenchjcan.jpg

The Gin storage and transport situation was solved 300 years ago:
casegin_small.jpg

http://www.sha.org/bottle/liquor.htm#Case%20Gin%20bottles

Elegant to simple storage situations have been a part of campaign furniture for centuries!

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Yorker said:
What?! Is that a coiler thing?! Perhaps this illustrates a difference in perception of the marque amongst LR enthusiasts... The leafsprung adventures I've been on have involved bonfires with whisky, G&T, and beer, Marmite or roast beef or coldcut sandwiches and definitely no fine linen tablecloth in sight. No Cameroon leaf Churchills either just coffin nail Camels...

Exactly. Maybe a Guinness or a Speckled Hen. Meat. Over a fire. On a stick. Eaten with fingers. More Guinness. Dirty hands. Camels or maybe a pipe. Stories of "been there". Up 'till 2:00am working on trucks or talking about working on trucks. Up at 6:00. On the trail at 7:00. Man by night, man by day.

Clinking wine glasses over linen? I don't think so.....

overlander

Expedition Leader
Mercedesrover said:
Exactly. Maybe a Guinness or a Speckled Hen. Meat. Over a fire. On a stick. Eaten with fingers. More Guinness. Dirty hands. Camels or maybe a pipe. Stories of "been there". Up 'till 2:00am working on trucks or talking about working on trucks. Up at 6:00. On the trail at 7:00. Man by night, man by day.

I have had countless moments in recent past, covered in diesel and grease, with a dust tan and goggle eyes, sitting beside a Hummvee or M1 tank in 130 degree heat, with a folding camp table or cooler, and a couple folding chairs, smoking a nice cigar, and drinking gatorade from a tin cup, and having the same moment as the ideal one I illustrated by the campfire. I'm dissappointed that you have so mislabeled me.

Yorker

Adventurer
Mercedesrover said:

Ahhh! Like changing Simon's spun bearings on his 101! That sort of typified a LR event to me.

Or that time someone took their 2.25's head off and lapped their valves overnight using brickdust-only to find out the problem was a wonky distributer.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
overlander said:
....and drinking gatorade from a tin cup, and having the same moment as the ideal one I illustrated by the campfire. I'm dissappointed that you have so mislabeled me.

Nah, not really. If it's a fancy night we'll break out cheap vodka and Crystal Light!

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I guess I'll be hanging with the Toyota and Jeep crowd:friday: . I didnt realize there were requirements to owning a Rover. White table cloth in the backcountry just seems wrong. But then again I use my truck for access to the things I love to do, kayaking, rock climbing, skiing. My truck is used to get me to adventure, not be the adventure.

overlander

Expedition Leader
kellymoe said:
I guess I'll be hanging with the Toyota and Jeep crowd:friday: . I didnt realize there were requirements to owning a Rover. White table cloth in the backcountry just seems wrong. But then again I use my truck for access to the things I love to do, kayaking, rock climbing, skiing. My truck is used to get me to adventure, not be the adventure.

It seems I'm the minority here. I think you're good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles