What makes a Land Rover Expedition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
10/08/08:
The following is a thread that I, a new Land Rover owner, started a few months ago, trying to get a handle on the whole "Land Rover approach to wheeling". Land Rover (even in the early days) has always had a certain air that set it apart. Jeep has a similar, unique aura about it- a result of marketing and the vehicle's role in history. I was trying to put a finger on what set Land Rover apart so I didn't build it out of my project rig. It got a little heated there for a while and the anger spilled out into other threads, for which I apologize. I learned a lot about my new marque and about the different ways people approach it. Here is a slightly edited version. I removed a few posts that started to go a bit negative, but the honest, thoughtful responses are there. I don't think we settled anything (especially the Green/Black Oval thing), but it was fun while it lasted. Enjoy.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's a question for you. I'm new to the Land Rover world, and seeing how my Rover is just a pile of parts and a dream, I have plenty of time to sit around and plan incredible adventures. So, what makes a Land Rover Expedition a Land Rover Expedition? What puts that indelible stamp on a trip sets it apart and makes you think it wouldn't be the same in any other marque (no brand-bashing please)?

Obviously there's the endless games of "what's that smell?", "what just fell off (and do I really need it?)", and "find the Whitworth" (among others), but can anyone quantify "it"?

overlander

Expedition Leader
I think there are two essential ingredients to truly be tied to land rover heritage. 1st is to lay the first tire tracks in uncharted territory (not many of those left). The second is the domination of the spartan ruggedness of wilderness in a classic British form, by creating a localized territory of civilization that moves with the vehicle, without leaving any permanence to the land. :1888fbbd:

Being miles away from the nearest paved road, enjoying a Shiraz with a well made game meat on a white cloth covered table illuminated by moonlight and campfire, and looking forward to a well earned Cameroon leaf Churchill pretty much says it all. Anything else is just is not keeping with the marque.

I have been traveling the Land Rover way since 1996. I also think that EE has the lifestyle mastered. One Life-Live it.

Land Rover Lifestyle tip: If you don't spend any time during trip prep thinking how to keep the wine bottles from breaking, you aren't planning a Land Rover trip.

Last edited:

Michael Slade

Untitled
Shoot, just the uncertainty of the electronics, the fuel pump, the leaky tire, the dripping t-case, the loose exhaust manifold, whining water pump, worn out bushings and rusting tailgate, even a trip to the grocery store can be an expedition.

Oh wait, that's how I felt *before* I fixed everything. :D

Overlander's definition is pretty good too. ;)

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
hochung said:
Scott, forget the food.

Mike, what kind LR did you get? Disco1 or Disco2?
Neither. 1973 Series III 88 SW. However, I'm wondering if there is a common thread from the Series rigs to the Disco II/P38 in terms of experience.

Michael Slade

Untitled
Alaska Mike said:
Neither. 1973 Series III 88 SW. However, I'm wondering if there is a common thread from the Series rigs to the Disco II/P38 in terms of experience.

No pics...no proof!

Sweet buy and you'll have fun with it.

One thread that all LR's have in common is the need for constant preventative maintenance. Other than that, I don't think the trucks you mentioned share anything at all other than a name (even the badges are different).

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Michael Slade said:
No pics...no proof!

Sweet buy and you'll have fun with it.
Proof:
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9232

I don't know if it's a sweet buy, but it is a decent project. I'm not expecting it to see the road for more than a year, depending on how the parts fall into my lap and how much time I have to slap them together. Right now it's still a little cold to do much wrenching, but it's getting close. I might do some work on the axles this weekend and start working on the springs.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Geez...I think just havin' an old Series Rover and going to the local market cranks up the cool factor to 11! Seriously, rovers are just great rigs, that really epitomize the adventure spirit....

Now, ya'll know that I'm a Land Cruiser fan, but I would take an old rover any day! (Although I'd keep the Cruiser for back up....:coffeedrink: )

-H-

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Alaska Mike said:
Obviously there's the endless games of "what's that smell?", "what just fell off (and do I really need it?)", and "find the Whitworth" (among others),...

LOL!

You certainly have the right attitude!

(Sorry, not much help on your question, though.)

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Hltoppr said:
Geez...I think just havin' an old Series Rover and going to the local market cranks up the cool factor to 11! Seriously, rovers are just great rigs, that really epitomize the adventure spirit....

Now, ya'll know that I'm a Land Cruiser fan, but I would take an old rover any day! (Although I'd keep the Cruiser for back up....:coffeedrink: )

-H-
Maybe I'm just imagining a cultured British narrator describing my every move as some kind of epic struggle, even though I'm just navigating the McDonalds drive-thru.

Classic Cruisers are high on my list for "funk factor", right up there with Series Rovers and early Jeeps. A trip in a vehicle like that has its own sort of mystique, as evident in the Make Tacos thread.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Well....once you have the Series up and running...or mostly there...I think a Wilds of Alaska trip would be fantastic...

:26_7_2: A trip through Canada would be good too!

I think we could get Graham to add a bit of S African accent to some film voicework...and there you go!

-H-

TeriAnn

Explorer
Michael Slade said:
One thread that all LR's have in common is the need for constant preventative maintenance. Other than that, I don't think the trucks you mentioned share anything at all other than a name (even the badges are different).

THANK YOU Michael!

See I'm not the only one who thinks so. And Michael drives on both sides of the oval.

seriesI_logo.jpg

I've often wondered if the charisma of Land Rover is based upon our earliest perceptions of expedition vehicles. Part of the childhood widening perception of the world. During the 1950's travelogues were common shows on TV. Every time you saw footage out in the wilds of Africa, South America or Asia the people on expedition were driving a Series Land Rover. Even during the 1960's if Emma and Steed went out to the countryside they took Steed's Series Land Rover. The Bentley & Lotus stayed home.

For me when I first perceived expedition travel during the 1950's, all the examples for that category were Series Land Rovers. Thus I KNEW from day 1 of expedition vehicle perception that expedition vehicle = Series Land Rover and that any other vehicle does not equal expedition vehicle.

I've noticed that younger folks who grew up without Land Rover based travelogues think other vehicles can make as good or better expedition vehicles.

I think the answer to your question may lay upon your earliest childhood perception of expedition vehicles and how a Series Land Rover was first introduced to you.

If you just KNOW deep in your gut that a vehicle is the essential essence of THE expedition vehicle you will overlook a ton of failings. But if a vehicle does not match your mind's vision of the essential expedition vehicle, any fault found will be magnified and used as a shiny example as to why that vehicle is not IT.

There is no universal essential expedition vehicle. The ultimate expedition vehicle is a vehicle that your mind perceives as the essential expedition vehicle that has been optimized to meed your perceived needs.

For some folks an Xterra, Forerunner or YJ might be the ultimate expedition vehicle. Though personally I wonder about vehicles that require decals that read "4X4", "off road" or "Rubicon" to establish their identity. Just a glance at a Series Land Rover and you know you are looking at a vehicle that was designed from the frame up to live in the bush. City streets and highways are not a Series Land Rover's native environment. They can sorta make due there but they look out of place and a bit uncomfortable on a city street. Kinda like seeing a horse being ridden down a city street.

A Series Land Rover is not a city car that was factory modified to venture off pavement. A Series Land Rover does not waste space or weight distribution on accessories not needed to get you into the bush and back again. You won't find electric windows, fancy trim or sound systems. You will find essentials, an interior that can be hosed out, a yellow knob and a red knob that will help you go wherever you wish to go.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
overlander said:
Being miles away from the nearest paved road, enjoying a Shiraz with a well made game meat on a white cloth covered table illuminated by moonlight and campfire, and looking forward to a well earned Cameroon leaf Churchill pretty much says it all. Anything else is just is not keeping with the marque.

Land Rover Lifestyle tip: If you don't spend any time during trip prep thinking how to keep the wine bottles from breaking, you aren't planning a Land Rover trip.
I really like that Rovers have such a dedicated following, that is very cool. But you can substitute in your statement as follows for the Toyota lifestyle and it's not really far off.
wine bottle = beer bottle
Shiraz = Aizu Wakamatsu Heukmi
game meat = fish taco
Cameroon leaf Churchill = left to one's blunt imagination...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles