Need a lift. Thinking ICON 1998 4Runner

AZ4Runner

Observer
Hi,

First some info on my rig...

1998 4Runner 4x4 5speed w/ locker
206K budbuild sckid combo 265/75/16 Duratrecs C, ARB front bumper, Custom rear swing out tire carrier.
Suspension is bone stock!

It is finally time to upgrading my OEM suspension. The Icon setup has me interested. Here is what I'm looking at...

Front non-long travel...
ICON Coilovers 58610 Standard Travel

Rear reserve ...
ICON 2.5" Remote Reservoir Rear Shock Set, 57800

Aiming to grab these for ~$1700 during the black Friday weekend. Anyone else have these? Any advice on what else I will need to complete a lift with these components. I know I will still need a rear spring and maybe a diff drop. What about bump stops and panhand? Planning on keeping my 265/75/16 and not upgrading to an aftermarket UCA. I was going to go with the SS 1.2 but thought why not.

Thanks in advance,

Mason

JasonRedwood

Explorer
I dont have that lift, I have the toytec Boss kit and run 265/75/16's. I did put the diff drop on mine and still had to adjust the front coils to give the CVs a break from having the ribs rub. Also when I installed my lift I did not put on the panhard drop bracket. I noticed a crazy amount of rear side bounce, if thats what it is called. It was almost dangerous at times on the freeways here in L.A. The drop bracket alleviated that. Rear extended brake line looked like it was needed if I was to go off-road so I installed one a week later. I read that people didn't need them though. Just my experiences.
That Icon setup looks niiiiiiiiice.

Last edited:

4runnerteq

Explorer
I have the ss1.2.i don't do any hardcore technical stuff. Mainly forest roads. Truck rides great , however, for my use i thinkOME would have been fine and be a bit less money.

nater

Adventurer
I had the ss1.2 in my 3rd gen 4runner. It flexed like crazy in the rear, and drove really nicely on the roads. I would highly recommend looking at that lift. That being said, I am going icon on my new fj....

470Lexi

If you're not doing the extended travel or remote resi up front then the 2.5 for the rear is over kill. Get the 2.0 resi for the Tacoma and save $500. That's what I ran and worked awesome.

Arktikos

Explorer
How many miles? Have the ball joints and steering rack been replaced? I'd make sure they're in great shape before doing a lift.

AZ4Runner

Observer
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm still in the deciding/ almost ready to buy stage. If I were to buy today I would go...
-Icon Front coilovers non long travel using my stock UCA
-Icon Rear 2.5 w/ remotes (I know they are a bit of an over kill but they are sweet looking and can keep up for the front)
-OEM rear Springs 2890 or 2891 (aiming for a 2-2.5" lift)

My 4Runner has 206k on her (bought her at 168k). I have replaced the lower ball joints and did the tundra 199 brakes at 175K. While I'm installing the suspension I plan on replacing some bushings and checking things out like the steering rack.

Again, I still have a week to decide. I'm for sure going with the Icon Coilovers in front. The rear is the decision. I plan on keeping my 4Runner for the foreseeable future so might just buy the right parts first (Rear 2.5 with remotes).

Here is a picture of my 4Runner how it currently sits...

Mason

BurbanAZ

Explorer
I'm using some of the total chaos stuff and I have been really happy with it. Just another option to think about besides the icon, but of course the icon stuff is awesome too.

xplrn42

Adventurer
You will love the 2.5 resi's on the rear, I have them on my FJ with the Icon 2" springs and the ride is night and day vs stock.
I have the extended travel C/O's up front with TC UCA's. I've had this setup for about 8 months with plenty of highway and trail use, with slight airing down washboards no longer exist. :)
With the rears CDC 2.5's I've removed my sway bar and it's still solid as a rock on the road.

Congrats on the 20% savings!!! LUCKY :wings:

AZ4Runner

Observer
So one reason the icon shocks interest me over the ss 1.2 is that it is not a high lift. I run 265/75/16 tires and want to keep the lift lower as my tires are ~32". I have also been informed that if I keep the 4runner under a 2" lift it would be best for handling and down travel. So what spring would be best to achieve this in the rear? Would nit mind a racked look. In my rear I have gained 63 lbs from the tire swingout and the tire is 60 lbs hanging on the back. It weighs the rear stock spings some.

nater

Adventurer
Look for some pics of my 4runner here on the forum from several years ago, I had those same size tires, and it looked great. The ss lift handled great, highly recommended! If there was more feedback about his fj lift, I would have considered it more.

AZ4Runner

Observer
Thanks for the advice. In the end I don't want to do heavy rock crawling which is what the ss 1.2 lift is really built for. With this 4runner I want it to be an overland rig so a 3in lift is not needed. In the future I would like to buy an auto 4runner for a rock crawler. I think the icon lift will be the best for long forest roads. I just hope I use the rig enough to justify the cost. It is a daily driver so it will have alot of in town pavment miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior