4XPEDITION DISCOVERY 1 BUILD

4xpedition

Last month I ventured to San Francisco to pick up a 1998 Land Rover Discovery I that I found on Craigslist. The vehicle is in "Marin County Soccer Mom" condition so it is pretty mint. After picking it up I ventured down the PCH on a solo road trip for a few days then on through Joshua Tree National park on my way back home to Scottsdale, Arizona to get her registered. Made it home without much difficulty other than one mishap where she threw up at a rest stop on the I-10 because I put too much coolant in. In typical Land Rover fashion she leaks oil like black rain. Almost thought about leaving an intervenes drip of fresh oil pouring in.

Here is what the vehicle looked like when I picked it up in SF.
photo.jpg

Was a beautiful trip down the PCH. (couple pix)

1.jpg

2.jpg

2a.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Once home I worked to get it registered and it passed emissions with flying colors. Ordered my custom plate and we are off and running to the first phase of the build. I've named this rover HELIX. Always got to start a project with a code name. This one is 4XHELIX.

Once registered, I ran Helix to a couple local Rover mechanics to get professional assessment of the engine. Of course the list was long as expected. The vehicle has 160k miles on it and a few things have been done by the previous owner who kept it in spectacular shape inside and out.

With assessments in hand I started ordering parts which just arrived today straight from Great Britain (LRSeries.com gave me the best prices I could find.) and also ordered from Atlantic British.

Phase 1 will include seals, front and rear brakes, new steering gear, belts, gaskets, etc. I've bought a ticket to fly my bud Dan Cronin, founder of Northwest Overland in Seattle, to come down for a week later this month to help. He's got a lot of Rover experience having rebuilt several. (He's totally stoked since it has been raining there for weeks.) Met some great people on AZLRO who have offered to lend a hand, floor jack, stands, etc. This is going to be a lot of fun!

Phase 2 includes a 3" RTE lift with 16 inch NATO black wheels and 255/85/16 BFGs (I am going to have the wheels painted matte black). And also window tint. (not sure about the gearing. I may have Great Basin gears installed if needed once I give it a drive.

Phase 3 includes RTE front and rear bumpers, a winch, sliders, Baja Racks roof rack, rooftop tent, rear ladder, skid plates, gas cans and mounts, and high lift jack.

Phase 4 includes lighting, snorkel, and maybe some fender flares

Phase 5 includes a 4Xpedition branded vehicle wrap and maybe... just maybe some matching upholstery.

Stay tuned for more pix as this rig gets the juice!

Last edited:

wldkgdm

Adventurer
Land Rover Discovery Awesomeness

By the time we get this old girl in top shape, she is going to be fit. And I mean FIT. One of the best Rover products ever made; Discovery 1. I know a lot of owners have had bad experiences, but we will give this beauty a second lease on life.

I cannot WAIT to get into this beast. Stay tuned for AWESOMENESS!

My baby girl.
IMG_3434.JPG

Attachments

• Banks-Lake-Rover.jpg
    Banks-Lake-Rover.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 88

swrider

Observer
Wow, sounds like an awesome plan. I am not too familiar with Land Rovers as of yet, and I am hesitant with listening to people who just bad mouth the brand. But given the high mileage on this vehicle, are you at all concerned with the longevity of the engine???
Are Rovers in general vehicles that can put 300K miles on the odometer and still keep going???

4xpedition

Wow, sounds like an awesome plan. I am not too familiar with Land Rovers as of yet, and I am hesitant with listening to people who just bad mouth the brand. But given the high mileage on this vehicle, are you at all concerned with the longevity of the engine???
Are Rovers in general vehicles that can put 300K miles on the odometer and still keep going???

Hi there, Swrider!
After long discussions with some Rover aficionados (including Dan), with the modifications and replacement parts I am doing to this V8 )though a smaller V8), and good ongoing maintenance, this engine should last to 300k and possibly higher.

4xpedition

Peter: Just checked out your Rover Tdi build on LandyZone. Got to say I am quite impressed with your skills. Love the custom fab work and the extra touches at the end like the laser engraved mud flaps. Really nice work! Inspiring!

h2os2

Adventurer
Nice truck! Dan is an awesome Rover guy, just make you sure you feed him lots of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale's ;)

marin

---------Just saw the post on page 2, sorry to hear ---------

Great find, I am building a similar white 97' in Phoenix. Look forward to seeing the progress.

Let me know if you need any parts, I bought a 96 parts car to build mine and have all types of parts laying around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier