Tundra and a Raven

Tacovendor

Explorer
Started a build thread about the truck and camper.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/133855-2014-Tundra-Crew-Max-Build
I will post up all of my info I can about the pending addition to my Family the Four Wheel Camper "Raven".
As some of you know I've built both an 2007 FJ and 2010 Tacoma. This April my wife and I thought we would try the RV scene, so I purchased a Tundra as a tow vehicle and a new trailer and we were off to travel. It was shortly after a few outings we realized that we are not RV campground compatible. When you run your slide out of the trailer and you're only three feet from your neighbor, reality strikes. Grant you, a real toilet, shower and a flat screen were nice, but they don't have the adventure camping in the outdoors.

We did use the leather clad "Limited" as an off road vehicle, but still went back to the confines of an RV park at the end of the day.

Now the plan:
Suspension: will be an Icon Vehicle Dynamics Stage 6 system supplemented by some quick disconnect air bags.
http://iconvehicledynamics.com/shop...uspension-system-stage-6-with-billet-uca.html

Bumpers/ Sliders: Looking into a Mfg that has the current model.

Accommodations: Four Wheel Campers "Raven", this will be the heart of the build, These campers have proven themselves over the years and are built like a tank. Yes it will have creature comforts, but will be completely self sufficient for extended outings into the outdoors (ie; low wattage lights, solar etc.). I will be posting the progress of the campers construction http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/index.php/products/for-full-size-trucks/raven-8-0-long-bed/

Interior (truck): Marathon seat covers, I'm designing a removable drawer/storage system for the back seat area, this would allow us to remove the seats when travelling and give us a storage solution. And will also give our four legged family a comfortable window seat.

Off road lighting: will be Baja Designs, I have to figure configuration before I know which ones I'll be using.

Tires/Wheels: TBD

I believe I'm going to Rhino line the bed and rockers the same way I did the Tacoma, it really protects the lower portion of the truck.

I should be getting this going and it will be completed for Overland Expo 2015! Wish me luck:sombrero:

Last edited:

Tacovendor

Explorer
10/27/2014 Woodland California

Went to the Four Wheel Camper facility today and were given a detailed tour by Tom Hanagan the owner. To say I was impressed is an understatement, the quality in craftsmanship is impeccable. Tom took the time and we covered all the details of the camper build. I'll be sending him my build specs soon, and look forward to progress reports. If your considering a camper, you will not find anything comparable
334e33d926ac3ddf48dd609be3be7903.jpg
!

11/7/2014
So with my order placed and already having an onsite tour of the Four Wheel Camper facility I wanted to really understand how the best off road camper evolves after the order is placed, so after a few calls to Stan at 4WC this is what I've found out:
Most customers usually research these campers from anywhere from 3 months, to as long as ten years before placing an order. Their introduction to this camper is usually seeing one on a website as this, in person, or just doing plain old research. Once they want to know more they'll go to the companies website http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/ ,it's very informative and they have some great video content as well. This is where a customer would either go to a local dealer, or visit an event attended by 4WC ( i.e. Overland Expo East and West) or as I did, go to Woodland California to see how they are made and see them first hand.

This is where you can ask all of the detailed questions about the camper and most likely be awed by this impressive facility. So when I was ready to go, my two model options were the Hawk and the Raven, the difference in the two basically is the Hawk is 10 inches longer than the Raven. In my application this would mean that the Hawk would hang out of the truck bed about ten inches. I felt that the Raven would be the right choice to eliminate overhang and would keep within the contours of the bed. I now had to choose a floor plan along with what options that I wanted in my camper, as well as fabric, cabinet and exterior colors. It's a great feeling to know you are going to get a custom built camper that is built to YOUR specifications and not by a design team cutting corners and making a cookie cutter camper. So with that I put down the required 15% down to start the order and got the ball rolling. Stan informed me that this is where 4WC will generate a customer ID number and create a "Traveler" for the camper. The Traveler is a production sheet that has all the details about who the camper is for and what options it needs to have installed during it's production. My camper is entered into the production line and a date (birthday) as to when the camper will be completed.
About two weeks before the camper is scheduled to be finished they will weld up the aluminum frame, build the base in the wood shop and mate the two together. So somewhere in this rack of tubing is my camper!

These are the options I ordered:
Mechanical Jacks w/ aluminum brackets
160W Solar Panel w/ charger
80L Two Way Refrigerator/freezer
Forced Air Furnace w/ thermostat
6gl Hot Water Heater w/ outside shower
Power Roof Vent
Front Opening Window
8 ft. Fiamma Awning w/ Second amber light
Yakima Roof Tracks
Dual Batteries
Artic Pak
LED light upgrade
LED Rear Flood lights
Looks like it will be completed right around Christmas! What a present! :sombrero:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Good for you.

I like my Tundra and Raven setup and the Four Wheel Camper guys are great! :)

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Agree with the RV park camping comments... We have owned a travel trailer for years, but it's mostly used for remote week-long hunting camps. I much prefer the mobility and privacy of backcountry camping that's so easy to do with a truck camper.

Tacovendor

Explorer
After some research I'm going to add Firestone Ride Rite air springs, and not to limit the Icon's long travel, I've added some Daystar air bag cradles. Installation will commence when all the parts are in hand.
90045cf71302d81e2526fd02bf9df0de.jpg

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
I just installed the same air bags a couple weeks ago on ours prior to picking up our FWC. I plan on adding the cradles as well. I measured the distance from the fender well to ground with the truck unloaded then aired the bags up to get the same measurement once the camper was installed, handled great on the way home!

Hodakaguy

Advmoto18

Observer
Congratulations on your Raven order!

Not trying to hijack your thread....just adding to your thoughts and why I ordered from FWC.

I ordered my HAWK today!

I had never heard of FWC until October 3. I met Tom, Sean and all the other nice folks from FWC at Overland Expo-East. I rode in on my BMW R1200GS Adventure and tent camped. When I saw the Hawk on that Friday, I knew from that moment I needed one in the back of my Super Duty!

I ordered nearly the same options. I included the front dinette. I did not order the Arctic Pack. I don't think I could get the wife outside if you mention the "A" word! LOL!

I will be having Sean, the WI dealer perform the install. Then its off for 6 weeks exploring WY, CO, UT, NV and AZ with the Super Duty/Hawk/KTM 350! Can't wait!

Last edited:

Tacovendor

Explorer
Congratulations on your order. The thermal pack is not only for cold, but also hot weather also. My son just ordered a Hawk also w/ dinette. Maybe we'll meet out west

longhorn1

Observer
Advmoto18

Congrats on your camper selection. We picked up our Grandby from Sean this past August. Sean and Diane are wonderful people. jd

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94