Just scored a diesel generator. Now what?

dvorocks

Adventurer
I just picked up a 8hp acme engine ( italian made) diesel generator with electric start and fuel pump to mount tank seperatly. Now that I got it home I realized how loud it is. I plan on making a hush box for it to quiet it down a little but not going to go to crazy because I dont want it to overheat.
I want to make it mobile on a movable cart and mount it on the front of my ford e350. If I do it this way it will be the the furthest away from me when im sleeping and less likely to vibrate the truck to much. I also could roll it even further in the the woods once I set up camp. Im pretty sure the front end would have no trouble carrying the extra weight since similar front ends carry plows which are much heavier. What do you guys think

dvorocks

Adventurer
Well I pretty much travel fulltime and camp in all kinds of different spots. From walmart parking lots to off the beaten path beaches. I dont plan on using it unless its absolutely need more power than my quiet 2k generator can provide. Having traveled extensively over the past year I realized quiet 2k inverter type generators can only do so much. Thanks for asking though

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
8hp...so it's rated at 4 kva? 5?

I camp in an E-250 and I've been steadily downsizing my generators (I carry mine in a box I built on the port side rear door). Started with a 2kw, then downsized to a 1200w, and now running one of those Harbor Freight 800w 2-strokes. It's a POS so when it finally blows up I'll go back to the 1200w, which is still bigger than I need. All I use mine for is battery charging.

Are you running a/c or something that needs a 3kva+ generator?

For a truck with a gas engine, I'd stick with a gas generator.

Love to have an Onan MicroQuiet, but the smallest one at 2800w is way way bigger than I need.

I think I'd spend the money on more battery and a bigger, better inverter before I'd go to a larger generator. Even with a really big gen, it'll still take all day to do a full charge/absorb, so my attitude is; why have more gen than needed to get the job done?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles