Expeditionist LX 470 build

expeditionist

Observer
After two decades of owning and building many different Toyota 4x4s, I have finally taken the plunge into the world of luxury 4x4 travel. I have traditionally gravitated towards the bare bones manual transmission offerings from Mr. Toyota. Now 20 years later, I have finally decided to saddle up into something that is truly more 'practical' for what I like to do.

Enter a '99 LX 470. 15 years old yes, but for me it's the perfect platform to start a build. Milage is 142K. Condition is excellent for it's age and the price was right so it was an easy decision once I had committed to the search.

This will be a slow build adding on as funds become available. I hope to have the bulk of the mods completed in the next 12 months, with endless small mods and tweaks to continue indefinitely. I'll post a couple pics of what it looked like when I picked it up a couple weeks ago.

Pics taken from the CL ad because I didn't take any when I got home:
Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 8.53.05 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 8.53.42 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 8.54.03 PM.jpg

Look for more pics to come soon. I have already installed AHC override switch, TJM T-13 front bumper, and 33" Dura tracs. It's already starting to look more like it should.

Last edited:

expeditionist

Observer
Here is what I have thus far. The bumper went on last weekend as well as the tires. Went with 285's. Seems like the perfect size for overland travel and I haven't noticed much of a drop in power. For now I will keep the AHC override as the lift but I don't see this as a long term solution for lifting the truck.

IMG_1632.jpg
IMG_1634.jpg
IMG_1635.jpg

Next order of business is pulling the running boards and adding an LED flasher. The TJM comes with LED turn signals which are really nice but require the aftermarket flasher to slow the rate to normal. I'm really impressed by the design of the bumper. Seems very well thought out and price point is a couple hundred less than ARB.

I think the suspension will have to be next because I plan to add full armor as part of the build. I'm thinking I will go with a full OME kit from Slee (I live only 15 mins from Slee's shop) which includes UCA and diff drop. I plan to squeeze as much lift out as possible but I know these trucks do have limitations when it comes to lifting. Stay tuned for more updates.

expeditionist

Observer
Thanks! I'm super excited about this build. I have wanted a 100 series for a while now as the 80 just doesn't have the power to get up and down the mountains here in Colorado. I'm ok trading some off road capability for better road manners. I got the LED flasher installed today. It was a bit of a challenge to get at it up in the dash but I got it done in under an hour.

I am a little concerned about the weak front diff on this truck. Can anyone comment on the scenarios to remedy this? I know adding ARBs would help but would it make more sense to upgrade to the 4 pinion and THEN add the locks? Just curious what everyone else with a 98-99 has done and how much abuse can the diff take before it gives?

mph

Expedition Leader
Congrats on your purchase. Have fun...I have a 99 TLC and put an ARB up front. With a rear and front locker, you can go a lot of places:) It has been pretty bullet proof since I got it. You will enjoy.

lndhark

Adventurer
I'll be following along with your progress. I too wish to build an expedition-ready LX or 100. I also came from bare-bones and basic (read: not comfortable) Toyota 4WD trucks of yesteryear and am looking forward to more plush ride (my current "rig" is a Subaru Outback with A/T tires :sombrero:).

Swapping to a 4-pinion diff is a waste if you plan on a front ARB down the road...no reason to pull the carrier twice. Just be mindful of how you drive on the trail and you should be just fine.

The truck looks great so far and I'm excited to see how it progresses. Congrats!

expeditionist

Observer
It's been a while since I have posted, but I thought it was time for an update. I finally got the LX into Slee a couple weeks ago to get the lift installed. Normally I install my own lifts, but I decided to pony up for this one and let Slee do the dirty work.

I decided to opt for the OME level stance kit which consists of 1.5" springs in the rear (medium load) and 2.5" of lift up front via OME torsion bars and SPC UC arms. OME nitro charger shocks on all 4 corners round out the package. The ride is truck like and firm but not uncomfortable. Definitely instills more confidence at highway speed. Slee did an excellent job on everything including fine tuning the alignment to the perfect specs.

I decided to install a winch before the lift so height and alignment would be set up properly with the extra weight up front. I couldn't get my hands on what I wanted, so went with a low end Smitty 9.5K for now. I'll upgrade to a 12K later on if I feel the need.

Here are a couple shots of before and after.

Before:
LX470B1.jpgLX470B2.jpg

After:
LX470A1.jpgLX470A2.jpg

expeditionist

Observer
Im picking up a set of sliders from BIOR on Friday. They are a gently used set that Mike is turning over so he can showcase his new design (which is pretty impressive if you haven't seen them.) After that, I have a few odds and ends to do such as windshield, stereo upgrade, etc.

The next major upgrade is an ARB locker up front; scheduled for a late May install. ARB has a promotion right now for a free compressor so if you have been thinking about it, now may be the time. I figure if I don't do it now, I'll end up paying for it later!

I'm definitely fortunate to have Slee and some other great shops right in the backyard. And yes, I added the diff drop as well. A must have if you lift the front 2.5".

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Great looking truck!

I love that TJM bar. I had a T15 on my LR Disco and loved it. Really quality stuff.

Your rig looks awesome with the bumper, lift, and tires.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Very nice! I would be even more poor than I am if I lived that close to Christo!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94