2014 Express AWD cargo van PNW 4 season camper

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
Nice van.

we got a '14 AWD passenger earlier this year. Love it.

how was disassembly and reassembly of the dash?

iridewheelies

Adventurer
Dash removal is pretty simple except for the thin part under the instrument cluster. You have to bend and flex it around the steering column and shifter. I was worried about snapping it.

There's a great video on express dash removal on YouTube.

http://youtu.be/fMESFJRzoMs

iridewheelies

Adventurer
I got it on eBay from a UK seller with super fast shipping. I ordered it on Sunday night and it was on my porch on Wednesday evening.
d9f6cd7077eb221829983c3afb73bbbd.jpg

24df236cb45456d982c71d64fbb28466.jpg

86cj

Explorer
The very first improvement to the van was to get some better tires. I didn't have faith in the factory tires. We like to drive on old logging roads with sharp gravel. I've seen a lot of silly flat tires from sharp rocks on my friends rigs. I'm not interested in changing a tire in the mud when it's 36 degrees and raining out.
5d5a81a25937d6371290a99a9c6f12a2.jpg

Here I am, investigating a rock stuck in the rotor or something. Squealed like crazy but nothing was there when I got the wheel off

I went with 5 new Cooper Discoverer AT3 in the stock size. I got the 10 ply for supreme durability.

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/DISCOVERER-A-T3.aspx

I'll rotate the spare in to give longer life and keep all 5 tires at the same wear level. That way, if one tire gets a fatal tear in the sidewalk I won't have to buy 4 new tires.

So far I really like them. They are quiet on the road and seem to be great in the dirt. I haven't seen snow with them yet.

Glad to hear that one of the last AWD Vans got a good home, it looks like you have a very full life planned for it. Good score on the options I know how hard these are to find....

Yea, (tires were first on my list of mod's) you will really like the snow performance of the AWD Van. I almost bought those AT3's I bet they do very well in the snow on the AWD Van.

iridewheelies

Adventurer
I added a swivel seat to passenger side.

I ordered the discountvantruck.com swivel. It's not very high quality. Frankly, I'm disappointed. I'm going to make it work though because it's the only option I could find.

It raised the seat about 2" and moved it inboard about the same. I found it to be really uncomfortable and so did my girlfriend. The dog didn't seem to mind.

I ordered a new pedestal on eBay for $25 plus shipping. When it arrived I brought it to Zieglers Welding in downtown Olympia where they removed 2" from the middle.
af5076cb84c115fb1996b32c52a80467.jpg

Compare to unmodified driver side.

7e1266b727d27f63e0b9d1468de2e024.jpg

The seat is now back to its factory height. It feels way better but I'm still not happy. There's so much slop and wiggle in the swivel. It's super annoying for the passenger. I need to figure out how to lock it down tight.

Yeah, the Discount Van swivel is pretty low quality... but only choice as you mentioned. The one shipped to me is at least tight & does not wiggle - I had to use spray-grease all the way around to be able to swivel, no grease fitting of course. No way to tighten that I am aware, welded nut holding it together.

fritz

Traveler
I installed a DiscountVan swivel in my 2010 Express AWD. Completely agree about the quality. Mine squeaks when swiveling. Did the seat base mod myself to maintain stock height.

How have you dealt with the wires that connect to the passenger seat? As you know when connected you cannot swivel, when disconnected you have airbag faults.

I also broke the side plastic cover on the seat during the first swivel as they hit the bolt heads of the swivel base. Not a good design.

iridewheelies

Adventurer
For the wires I pulled the pins out of the connectors, routed the cables through the hollow bolt, then wrapped them in tape and flex loom for protection and put the pins back in the connectors. They were plenty long enough to route through the bolt with length to spare.

I trimmed an inch or so off the side cover with a razor blade. You don't really notice it at all.

I also took the bearing cassette out and packed it full of lithium grease to quiet it down. I didn't like the way it sounded while swiveling. It sounded like a bearing with no grease in it, because it was. When you pull the swivel apart you'll find its three prices. The top, the bottom and a bearing cassette between them. I wish I had taken photos. If I pull it apart again I will be sure to get some.

I didn't think the nut was welded on mine. It was hard to get off, like the nut was an oval locknut or the threads were intentionally distorted to keep it tight with thread tension. I'm tempted to crank it down super tight, mark the spot, then pull it apart and drill a hole for a cotter pin or set screw to keep it from loosening. Or I could just find a nylon lock nut in that size, that would be way easier.

On a positive note, the seat covers I ordered from Coverking arrived and they look and fit fantastic!

bfafe47be00a6155914e9218825cad34.jpg

I got the premium leatherette in charcoal. They seem durable and easy to clean. My cloth seats were already starting to look filthy. My dog turns everything brown and he loves riding shotgun.

48b30547b547774677e0e4e71d088f6f.jpg

This is him. He's a Rhodesian Ridgeback.

iridewheelies

Adventurer
Will you tie this into your vans fuel system? Looking forward to your install.

Yes. That's the plan. I think I can tie into the fuel return line near the tank. If anyone on this forum has done this please let me know how it went because I'm feeling a bit intimidated at the thought of cutting fuel lines. I might pay someone to do it. I'm not sure who though, Northwesty installs these into vans so I might ask them. Van Specialties is another option.

If the return line isn't available I guess I'll have to drop the tank and install a separate fuel tap. Sounds complicated and expensive doesn't it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier