2014 Express AWD cargo van PNW 4 season camper

Hanes

Great job!

What have you done, or plan on doing now with the new top, with the interior? Maybe I missed that?

BigDan

Observer
just read all the pages ....

sold my syncro westfalia and replaced it for a Rialta ...great , but too low for my goals
looking too get a used Savannah awd van or a small cube for more space reason ( then the westfalia ) :

two things id like to know ....

did you try the awd system yet ! will it match the syncro ? talk about it please ?

does the components ( t/case etc.)..seems sturdy enough ?

now, what engine do you have ? 5.3 or 6.0L ?

As you can read ,i`m serious at this ! ;-)

Dan ,

iridewheelies

Adventurer
Quick update -
I've had the new top on for a little over one week. I'm impressed with the instal by Van Specialties, the paint on the top and the quality of the fiberglass. The top is very sturdy, it seems like the fiberglass is twice as thick as the Hightop I put on my vanagon. I expected it to be really loud on the highway but it's really not bad at all.

Here's a few bad iPhone photos of the inside
c6fe563bebc8ace1d2ff2a90018561c9.jpg
dca597e4f0efb23ae49974d327471f4b.jpg

Next step is to install the roof fan and start insulating and finishing out the top.

My plan is to use reflectix and foil backed EPS foam as insulation. I'll cover the insulation with 5mm plywood wrapped with marine

I took it skiing on Sunday. The roads weren't bad enough to really test the AWD.

f168a656ac030d8056bf6e79a1985641.jpg

iridewheelies

Adventurer
BigDan - I haven't fully tested the AWD yet. So far it seems like it's about the same as a syncro. One big difference I noticed is the additional 250 horsepower makes it easier to spin the wheels.

I have the 5.3L, it was my only option. The drivetrain seems robust and if I have problems they will be much easier to fix than a syncro, who's transmissions are made of gold.

iridewheelies

Adventurer
Hanes -
I'm going to build a simple interior with a kitchen unit on the driver side behind the driver seat and a dinette in the back. I'll put cabinets on the sides of the roof and storage over the front seats area.

I'm working on a 3D model in sketchup now. I'll post pics when it's done.

iridewheelies

Adventurer
I don't know how much weight the top added to the van. Next time I go to the landfill or by an empty truck scale I'll weigh it and post the results. It feels the same on the highway so not much.

I haven't been able to do any work to the van lately because I had a bad crash on my road bike about a month ago. I don't remember exactly what happened but I know I hit a speed bump, went over the handlebars and slammed the pavement with the right side of my face. I was taken to the hospital in an ambulance. I spent three days there before I could go home. I suffered a pretty bad concussion, cracked my orbital, broke my clavicle into three pieces and cracked one rib. I'm doing alright now but the first few weeks were pretty bad. That head injury messed me up. I couldn't think straight, speak clearly or read anything.

I'm glad that's over. My brain is working fine now but I'm not doing much work on the van until my clavicle is back together.

Not that it mattered anyway because of the complete lack of snow this year, but this ended my snowboard season after only one day on the mountain. Oh well, could have been much worse, right?

Before the crash I installed some carbon fiber seat heaters I got from eBay between the factory seat upholstery and the covering covers. I still need to wire up the power to the switch, I have a good plan to keep it looking really factory and use the factory fuse block. I'll post up some photos when it's done.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Holy crap! Sorry to hear that. Moto or bicycle?

Glad your doing a little better and hope for a full recovery.

iridewheelies

Adventurer
Just my bicycle. No cool story about crashing my dual sport in the mountains. Thanks for the good wishes. I'm doing well. Can't wait to get back out there on some van camping trips.

blueridge

mpg with new top?

Hope you're healing well from your crash.

Do you know if, or how much your new high top has impacted your mpg?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles