Unimog Expedition Camper - Vancouver Island

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Thanks for posting this. It's a pretty capable and handsome looking rig:
42870898_614.jpg

My fellow Mogger George met the owners on a trip to Victoria Island several years ago and found them to be very nice people, FWIW.

There's a good deal more information on their BC Explore website: http://www.bcexplore.com/index.html

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I met the couple down in Mulege about 10 years ago. Really nice folks. The husband did a KILLER remodel of ambulance box. (raised the roof and lengthened). The rear aluminum rack is a piece of art. Whomever buys this rig is going to get a GEM!!!
Apparently a well regarded truck. George wrote back after I sent him the link:

"I wish I could afford that rig...that is a VERY well thought-out build. About the most elegant U-series truck I have seen. I really like it!"

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I had a nice chat with the owner several years ago here in Victoria. He gave me a tour after I told him about my past employment at Unicat :) Very nice Unimog!!

drlee

Observer
cost to import?

to import a truck from Canada to the US is 25%. Does anybody know if an RV can be imported for less?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
to import a truck from Canada to the US is 25%. Does anybody know if an RV can be imported for less?
It's my understanding that the 25% duty is on trucks and not RVs, and that you would pay 2% to import this rig. That was my experience when I imported my Unimog camper.

That said, I felt like Customs was actively looking for a reason to classify things as trucks, so it seemed pretty clear that a potti and a cookstove under a truck canopy wasn't going to do it, nor even a big slide-in camper. It had to be an inseparable RV that couldn't later be subdivided to yield a 25% duty truck.

It's definitely worth looking into, as my expertise is based on a single event, but in 2001, importing a vehicle conceptually identical to this one required I pay only a 2% duty.

Racingdad

Adventurer
Mike,

After reading through the EPA web site I could only find language that now states vehicles older that 21 years can be imported. Has this been changed from the commonly referred to 25 years?
I was trying to sort through the logistics of importing this Unimog and trying to decipher whether an individual can do this or would you need the assistance of a ICI. Certainly a lot of homework needs to done beforehand to consider emissions testing and certification. If you use the ICI the vehicle needs to be held for 15 working days after submission of all EPA certifying paperwork for a non-US vehicle.

I was also looking at the legality of purchasing non-US vehicles already here in the US especially if the above 21 years is now the consideration. The reason why is that Mercedes 817D of John Speed now Margaret, is still sitting here in Reno NV. If 21 is the magic number then it is eligible with one slight wrinkle. The vehicle has exceeded it's temporary import certification and is here illegally. According to EPA documents it cannot legally be sold to a US resident. I would assume something could be worked out but definitely using an ICI would help in this situation.

Tad

Racingdad

Adventurer
Taken from EPA form 3520-1: Vehicles at least 21 years old and in original un-modified configuration are either exempted or excluded from EPA emission requirements, depending on age.

I would assume this means the Unimog above is exempt form emissions testing.

Racingdad

Adventurer
Unfortunately I answered my own question when I cross referenced with the NHTSA Vehicle Importation Guidelines for which vehicles less than 25 years old must comply with all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards. Sorry for the WOB.

The importation legality of the 1991 Mercedes 817D is still a problem though when it does reach 25 years of age in 2016.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Yep, you guys have got it right as per my understanding . . . It takes 25 years before you're clear of the EPA and the DOT agencies. However, once you make 25 years, importation is relatively straightforward, though some people get the assistance of a customs broker. I did it myself and it was a tense two hours waiting for them to announce what problem they found to cause me vast amounts of trouble, but they didn't find anything.

Interestingly, though, I found out later that they could have. Turns out that they could impound a vehicle if it had not been steam cleaned, including the bottom, and CamperMog's underside had no end of ex-Sahara sand and gunk. I assume that this is still enforced, perhaps even more vigorously than before. Having CBP impound the vehicle because it is dirty is not the end of the world, but it would cause much inconvenience and some expense.

I'm sad that Margaret's van now has an additional strike against it. It's pretty easy for CBP to know that the vehicle didn't leave when the year was up, and so the VIN will be flagged whenever someone does try for a legal importation. Kind of a messy situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz