Ideas on new vehicle??

I'm looking for ideas on what vehicles to get after I get back from basic. I've owned a jeep (a stock grand Cherokee non v8) which never really let me down. It made it through several crazy camping/offroadimg trips. Im looking for a idea on newer vehicles that might be good. Something different like 4 door Colorado z71 or Lt. If anybody has any other ideas ill gladly listen. Thanks a ton for any feedback.

BradyD

Observer
in my opinion, it all comes down to "philosophy of use". 1st you need to consider your price range then think about what you will be using it for so you'll know what capabilities you will be needing out of it. Will you be pulling anything with it and if so what is the weight of your trailer? you might need a heavier rig with a V8. if you will be doing some trails you might want something smaller with a tight turning radius. I could go on and on but I find these are the things you have to consider. I do like the Colorados! hard to go wrong with a jeep too. I love my suburban but its not for everyone, heavy, bad MPGs, bulky etc. hope this helps buddy. good luck in basic and thank you for your service.

Well I'm in about to go out for basic for the army national guard and I have to travel daily to Cleveland from Youngstown (Ohio) so decent mpg would be a huge plus. And I'm looking for something that has decent space could have rtt mounted on it. Whether it be on a cap of a bed or w.e. and has to be able to negotiate fairly tight trails. And towing a trailer possibly. I've never towed one off road but I'd like to for longer trips. My price range will be roughly 35 thousand. Give or take.

BradyD

Observer
you should be able to build a nice rig for 35k. if it were me I would try to find a nice platform for around 20 and use the rest for accessories and gear. especially if you are thinking a RTT that kind of gear can add up quickly! There is a guy near where I live that has a well built Colorado with a lot of goodies strapped to it and I have always liked the way it looks and im a full size kind of guy. I find it best that if you aren't sure what you want don't buy anything. just take your time and think about it. I find that 100% of the time people always think of something different/better/cooler that they could have built/bought after the fact. so if you aren't 100% satisfies with your first rig just start planning and saving for rig #2.

BradyD

Observer
Do you happen to know what year Colorado he has? And if he's on here lol.

not sure what year but I think it was one of the early ones. he is not on here, at least not that I know of. do some google image searches. I get a lot of my ideas from google searches!

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Are you dead set on a newer vehicle? I ask because I've always had the philosophy of buying a used vehicle and fixing it up to what I want it to be. Then again, I'm a mechanic, so I'm somewhat partial on the subject. But there are some good reasons to go with an older rig.

1. Insurance. It will be much cheaper with a 10+ year old truck than a bright, shiny new jeep or truck.
2. As you're fixing it up, you're learning about your rig. What it needs, what is weak, what is strong. This is important if you plan on going on a trail and your rig breaks down for some reason. Then you have a decent chance of fixing your rig enough to limp out to the road or something, or even all the way home.
3. They're cheaper. Lets face it, you can get a very capable used truck for a fraction of a new one. Then you have more budget to get it just the way you want it. You have more flexibility that way.
4. You won't feel so bad when you scrape the side along a tree, scratching the hell out of the paint.
5. Easier to fix. Most of the problems you'd encounter have already been encountered and the easiest fixes are already out there. You just need to do the research to find those fixes.

There is one major issue that can be avoided and that's getting ripped off by a dealer or owner. You simply have to do your research and know what to look for in an older vehicle. There are plenty of vehicle specific web forums out there for you to peruse.

As for my vote, any F series truck or bronco made between 1980 and 1997 is a good idea. Tough, reliable, easy to fix, easy to clean and parts are dirt cheap. Upgrading them is simple enough. Check out my build thread to see what I've done with my 91' bronco. Gas mileage is decent for what it is. Pickup trucks are especially good expo and trail rigs. They can fit down the same trails as jeeps, turn tighter than you'd realize and tend to be more stable with greater cargo capacity. If you need a trailer with a pickup, you probably have too much junk. Throw a shell cap on with a decent rack and you've got a perfect spot for a RTT, or sleep in the bed. There are hundreds of ways you can fix up a truck to be your perfect rig.

Kottonlwood I'd love to buy your truck but I won't have the money for 14 weeks. And afbronco you make a really good point. Any pointers for what I should look for when checking out used vehicles.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Each vehicle series has its good and bad points. You just need to pick an era or type and see what you can find out.

There are some universal things to look for though.
1. Servicing records. If the oil and fluids were changed regularly, that means less wear and tear on the engine.
2. Few, if any, modifications or alterations, unless made by someone you actually trust. That applies especially towards lift kits and engine swaps.
3. RUST! The less rust, the better.
4. Interior cleanliness. This includes the engine bay as well as the cab and cargo areas. Food stains, cigarette burns, oil and coolant covered engines and dented to hell pickup beds are all signs to look out for. This shouldn't kill a deal, but they should be asked about.
5. If you're not sure, ask an expert. If you have a mechanical friend who works on vehicles of that type and era, he, or she, should be able to tell you more specifically what to look for.
6. If possible, test drive it. You can decide how you like the way it feels. If its too sloppy, sputters or whatnot, that's a good way to either negotiate down or just walk away.

And finally, the three "R"s. RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH! Knowledge is power, so power up before you go out there. Don't be afraid to say "I'll think about it." and admit your lack of knowledge. The more up-front sellers will point out the bad along with the good. If they say there's nothing weak or wrong or breakable, that's a major red flag. So do your research and learn all you can.

NCFJ

Adventurer
You have a great many choices available to you with the budget you mentioned. I am in the buy a solid used rig and make the improvements you want camp, I also do this for a living. I deal mostly with Land Cruisers and I can tell you that the addition of a V8 drive line into a 60 or 80 series LC turns them into a completely different animal, sam can be said for Land Rovers as well. A huge plus of older vehicles is they do not have all the nanny systems and electronic add ons that most of the new vehicles do. Once out of warranty those systems will cost you a fortune to repair. Do yourself a favor and research all that is out there before you commit to any one platform.

snowaddict91

Adventurer
Since you are in NE OH, when shopping used vehicles I would look at vehicles outside of the local market in areas where rust is less prevalent. Vehicles in Ohio just get destroyed by rust and getting something rust free will at least make your build easier, and with diligent and frequent washes, you can even prolong the inevitable rust from destroying your vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles