4Runner, V6 vs. V8

• V6

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • V8

Votes: 29 64.4%

• Total voters

jgpoirier

Adventurer
As the title states, I am looking in to buying a 4runner this week. I have a close friend that is a Manager of a Toyota dealership that will basically find me whatever I want. My curiosity is in options. I hate options, as in always wondering if I would have been happier with the other. I guess the V6 vs. V8 dilemma come down to what I'm doing with the vehicle. But I'm looking for people's opinions on which they liked most. Obviously, the V6 would get better fuel economy but does it feel like it's overly sluggish? Or is the V6 as much power as you need? I'm not looking to tow anything too large. We would possibly get a small trailer, possibly an adventure trailer or a trailer for dirt bikes. Hoping to hear some good feedback. Thanks guys,

Guy Poirier

Beanzermin

Observer
V8 thank me later! The power is definitely nice offroad on obstacles. And sunroof! The only option I wish I had!

425runner

I've owned 2 4runners and a Taco all with the 3.4 (you didnt mention wether you were thinking 3.4 or 4.0) and towed with all of them (quads, dirt bikes and jet skis). While they did ok on the flat they always left something to be desired once the elevation started to change (heading over the pass). Don't get me wrong they did it, but it's not something I was comfortable with. Anyways, that's why I say get the V8. Of course larger brakes, tranny cooler etc. etc will also make a huge difference and should make the 4.0 more than adequate to tow dirt bikes and a light weight trailer.

Edit: My next purchase will either be a O5-06 Tundra or a v8 4Runner.

98roamer

Explorer
I have a 98 4Runner with the 3.4 V6 and I tow a 2,500k Popup trailer. It's been fine on the east coast, but we don't have big Mountains for me to comment. I'm also looking at moving to a 4th Gen or newer and it seems to me that the V8 4Runners are pulling a higher price tag. Just my two cents.

03rubicon

Adventurer
Need to know what gen your thinking understanding the V8 only came in the previous generation. The new V6 is a great power house and I am pleased with its abilities to toe and the mileage in stock form is decent as well. We average 20 no matter what we do with it it seems.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've owned 2 4runners and a Taco all with the 3.4 (you didnt mention wether you were thinking 3.4 or 4.0) and towed with all of them (quads, dirt bikes and jet skis). While they did ok on the flat they always left something to be desired once the elevation started to change (heading over the pass). Don't get me wrong they did it, but it's not something I was comfortable with. Anyways, that's why I say get the V8. Of course larger brakes, tranny cooler etc. etc will also make a huge difference and should make the 4.0 more than adequate to tow dirt bikes and a light weight trailer.

Edit: My next purchase will either be a O5-06 Tundra or a v8 4Runner.
Having owned a couple of 3.4's (2004 Taco and 1999 4runner) I can tell you that the 4.0 V6 is significantly more powerful. The 3.4's best feature is its reliability, not its power.
Sounds like the OP is looking at 4th gens. Pros for the V8 are more power (obviously) and I think they might have a higher towing capacity, although I'm not sure about that since towing capacity is based on more than just how much power the engine puts out. The V8 4x4's also have full time 4wd which can either be a plus or a minus depending on how you look at it.
I test drove both and chose the V6. It's been my tow vehicle for a 1,000lb teardrop for 3 summer seasons now (2012 - 2014) and it's worked great. There has never been a time when I wished I'd gotten the V8.

MPG differences can be as low as 2 or as high as 10, depending on a number of factors including how "built" the vehicle is, and how it's driven. There are lots of guys over on T4R.org who are complaining about getting 13 MPG in their 4runners, both V6 and V8. Of course, they have 4" of lift, heavy armor all around, are running 33" MTs, have a full roof rack and are driven by twenty-something kids who mash the pedal to the floor at every startup, so you have to figure that's probably the reason for the lackluster MPG.
The best MPG I've gotten out of my '07 V6 4x4 SR5 was about 23, but of course that was under "ideal" conditions. The overall average since I bought it in 2012 has been about 17.2 but that's skewed a bit low because I'd say 60% or more of that mileage is pulling a trailer (I have a separate DD that I drive to work and around town.) When not pulling the trailer I can get 18 - 19 average with probably 16-18 in the city and 19-20 on the highway. Of course, I'm not a fast or aggressive driver either, which helps (even when not towing, if I'm on the highway I'll usually set the CC at about 65 and let people go around me if they think that's too slow.)
Other factors which may or may not be worthy of consideration: It's not unusual to see a V8 4runner for sale with 95,000 - 110,000 miles on it. That's because the V8 uses a timing belt and 100K is the belt change interval. That's roughly an $800 expense unless you can do it yourself. Many people would apparently rather sell than pay for the T-belt change. The V6 has a timing chain which does not need replacement.
The V6 4x4 has a "multi-mode" 4wd system. You can run it in 2wd or 4wd even on the highway (basically, it is like an AWD vehicle.) Or you can lock the center differential and then it's like a conventional 4x4. Interestingly, this capability was deleted with the 5th gen models which only have conventional 4wd (which means you can't use 4wd on a dry paved road) except for the limited model which is full time 4wd like the 4th gen V8 models.
Potential downsides for the V6 include some problems with the early V6 head gaskets. From what I've seen this is only an issue with the 2003 - 2004 models. I believe the VVT-I (Variable Valve Timing) version of the engine was introduced in 2005 and the HG problem seems to have been fixed as well, at least I don't recall seeing anyone having HG issues with the VVT-I engines. The '03- '04 V6's also have the 4 speed A340 automatic, which is less fuel efficient than the 5 speed auto that was put into the V6's starting in 2005 (The V8's always got the 5 speed.)
Another thing to consider is that since the V6's have a 2wd capability, they have a vacuum actuated Automatic Disconnecting Differential (ADD) on the front axle. This can sometimes fail or need repairs. The V8's, being full time 4wd, don't have this, thus removing a potential failure point.
You really can't go wrong either way, for me the V6 was the right answer but I know the V8 guys love their 4.7's.

Last edited:

hoptroll

Pool Boy
The head gasket issue was quietly resolved after 2005, when they did the styling changes starting in 2006. I did tons of research on this prior to purchase. The 4.0 VVT has always been in the 4th gen, they just redesigned the head gasket. There are cases of 2005 tacomas with the same issue. BTW I came from a 3.4l and the 4 is a power house and efficient

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeremy P.

Adventurer
The one thing I would change with my 4runner would be to have the V8. I tow a camp trailer that's about 4k pounds and the extra torque would be nice. Highway driving in the mountains isn't too bad with the V6 but the 8 would be better. My 4runner does have some extra weight on it though.

In towing, the V6 is rated for 5k or 6k with a weight distribution hitch; the V8 is rated for 7k.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If I was towing 4k on a regular basis, I'd sell the 4runner and get a Sequoia or a Nissan Armada. 4k is close to the weight of a V6 4runner anyway (mine was 4450.)

PaintRock

Adventurer
I say get the V8. That 4.7 is a good engine. The one in my Tundra has been very trouble-free (knocking on wood). The V8 4Runners are definitely cooler. I remember some car rag tested a V8 4Runner with a factory supercharger against a Porsche Cayenne, and the 4Runner out-accelerated the Cayenne.

I realize you're probably not looking to win any drag races with it. But, it will be a more capable rig overall.

nowayout

I've had both and presently the V8. Get the 8 if you can. It's a smoother running engine and the mpg difference for me has been non existent. Big plus is the full time 4wd on the V8.

java

Expedition Leader
I have a V6, power is fine, but get the 5 speed! Mine is a 03 with the older non vvt-i engine, and 4 spd, I have to run 3rd gear towing my little trailer up the mountains. I towed a 3klb travel trailer for a couple winters, not so fun with the V6, but did it.

My truck is heavy ~5400lbs,, tows a small trailer all summer with the RTT on top all summer, and roof basket all winter. I avg about 16MPG overall, lots of city driving in there though.

vr4z06gt

I say the V8. I just bought an '08 V8 and couldn't be happier. We drove it home from the dealership, just shy of a thousand miles and almost all interstate, we maintained 80-90 for the majority of the trip and still got between 19.5-20 mpg based on slips not the computer. It just goes to show it is all about how you drive it not what it is. It is a quite and smooth engine and plenty of low end power means you do not need as many rev's to accomplish the same task as a V6. IMHO this means the V8 should see less wear and tear as well. Also besides the weight of the truck to tote around, there is a reason they are in the Land Cruiser, it simply works day in and day out as long as you take care of them.

The biggest drawback, and it isn't huge, is that it uses a timing belt instead of the timing chain found in the V6, which means that you need them changed every 90k or so as the 4.7L is an interference motor.

I will give you a heads up though, it took us 2-3 months to find one, that was in good shape, with the options I wanted, with low mileage and at a reasonable price. I was asking alot but I knew it could be done so patience was necessary.

I would also second the sunroof, I am 6'4" and without it I would not fit comfortably in the truck. If you are tall and want to avoid a moonroof go get the GX470, it will cost more this time of year but it is stands taller and at the end of the day it is a 120series.

-Best of luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles