Gunsite 250: My 5-Day Pistol Course Experience

Scott Brady

Founder
Having been traveling for most of the last three years, I am glad to be home for a while and have shifted my extra time towards training, alternating efforts to improve my skills as a motorcyclist with my personal interests in firearms. This week, I am checking a big "bucket list" box with the Gunsite Pistol 250 course. This thread will cover my experience with the entire class and overall impressions and lessons learned. My only structured handgun training was in the USAF with the Beretta 9mm- hardly comprehensive. This course is called the "Gunsite Experience" and I have no doubt it will be a game changer for my perspective on defensive carry and my skills as a shooter.

I am fortunate to have the Gunsite Academy within 30 minutes of my office in Prescott, so I took a drive out to visit the campus and talk with their team. Jane from their offices was kind enough to show me around. My initial interest was in their new course emphasizing shooting in and around a vehicle. The course seemed like a possible compliment to the NTV training we provide to MARSOC (and others). I know a bit about NTVs, but have a lot to learn about firearms. The vehicle shooting course looked awesome, but it seemed like the first logical step was to take their pistol 250.

IMG_7322.jpeg

From my initial visit. This is an advanced shooting course that emphasis shooting from within and around stationary and moving vehicles.

IMG_7324.jpeg

We watched from an elevated position as students shot targets through the windshield and side windows. Really interesting seeing the effect glass has on trajectory and visibility.

IMG_7323.jpeg

The shooting houses really got me excited to take the pistol course. Real world scenarios with good and bad guys throughout the facility.

After the tour, I signed up for the 250 class. It starts tomorrow with a 5:00am wakeup, a quick trip to Method Coffee and then on to Paulden.

Scott Brady

Founder
I spent the last few weeks loading up on gear and facing a few decisions. The biggest decision was which sidearm to train with during the course. My primary sidearm has always been an HK USP .45, a pistol I have owned since 1998 and put thousands of rounds through. I qualified for my CCW with it and it feels as familiar as the VDJ78 Land Cruisers I just spent the last three years in- everything comes easily to hand and both have been 100% reliable. However, the USP is a big gun and is not particularly concealable. As a result, I purchased a PARA Ordinance .45 1911 Executive Carry, a three inch barrel compact. The gun conceals easy with an IWB holster, and I like the traditional 1911 design. So, do I take the old standby USP or the new daily carry 1911?

IMG_7692.jpeg

Decisions, decisions. Train with the 1911 compact or the full-size USP service pistol?

The decision went back and forth, even until today. I would shoot better with the USP, but I carry the 1911. In the end, I have decided to train with the 1911. I have practiced recently with both pistols, and even though I am slightly more accurate with the USP, my shooting continued to improve with the 1911. Better to spend a week training with the gun I actually carry, even if it comes at a small cost to marksmanship early in the course. I am bring the USP just in case, along with a backup 1911 Remington R1, just in case.

IMG_7696.jpeg

The 1911 Para Executive Carry. In the belt mounted leathers, the 1911 and USP look similar in size, but once IWB, the 1911 is significantly more concealable, being shorter (in all dimensions) and thinner.

The Executive Carry is an unusual 1911, with only a three-inch, stainless bull barrel. It is an aluminum frame with 8+1 capacity. The sights are trijicon and a few quality upgrades include an Ed Brown Bobtail mainspring housing and a match grade barrel and trigger.

IMG_7697.jpeg

Everything is loaded into the range bag and ready to go.

IMG_7689.jpeg

This is still ExPo, so a shot of the truck I am driving to the training seems appropriate. The G Klasse seemed the only choice, and I hooked up the X-Venture for basecamp. I plan to camp most nights of the training, just to add to the experience and immersion. It also helps that a friend is taking the course with me, and plans to camp all week.

I am pretty excited for five days of pistol training. I will try to post the results of each day and my thoughts on the class.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
:drool:..I am headed down the same road...been adding guns over the last 3 years...now I need to learn how to use them effectively. Yes I can go and shoot at targets, but I wanna learn more. I would have to make a decision on what to train with as well and would probably go with my compact M&P 9mm. I would think the Shield would be too small.

Look forward to your thoughts...

Scott Brady

Founder
Training Day One

I woke at 5am, and through the fog of a too-early alarm, I managed my morning routine and was equally lucky remembering all my stuff. Like all of these complex and fringe pursuits, the gear needed for defensive pistol is extensive.

1. Primary weapon: PARA 1911
2. 8-10 magazines (eight round capacity). Gunsite recommends a minimum of six magazines. I think eight is a good number.
3. Holster. Something without a strap or complex retention system.
4. Magazine pouch for two magazines.
5. Backup weapon: Remington R1 1911
6. Stiff, webbed belt
7. Daytime eye protection
8. Nighttime eye protection
9. Electronic hearing protection (muffs)
10. Cleaning kit
11. Gunsmithy tools
12. Range Bag
13. $500+ in ammo, including frangible for the scenario houses

I rolled through Method Coffee for a triple-cap, and the mood and excitement improved. Gunsite is about 30 minutes from our offices and down a pretty bumpy dirt road. I cringed at the students with low-slung sedans. I pulled up the classroom area and tucked the G-Wagen and trailer into a spot in the shade. We had tons of paperwork to complete, including some gnarly (but appropriate) hold harmless agreements. Basically, even if another student shoots you and kills you, Gunsite is not responsible. I signed the docs and filled out a gift membership to the NRA for Brian (I already had a lifetime membership). Gunsite gives a free one year membership to the NRA with each course. The last step is to order lunches for the week, which has proven to be a great program. Bringing your own food would be foolish- this stuff is fresh and tasty.

The class started with instructor introductions, starting with Ed, our range master. Ed it ex DPS, Marine EOD and a few SF programs. He served from the mid-1960s until after the first Iraq war. Impressive resume and a cool dude. Incidentally, he drives a fully prepped FJ Cruiser and has been a subscriber to Overland Journal for over six years. Purely coincidence, but fun none the less. Other instructors include Chris, a retired Marine and Steve, a serious killing machine with major skills with edged weapons, etc. His specialty was asset protection. A few other instructors have also participated, so the class is well staffed. Not too many, but certainly enough instructors to ensure safety and constant feedback / correction, of which I needed a lot. . .

Fortunately, the class is completely void of the tactical ****************** and wannabe killing machines. About a third are professionals like doctors, attorneys, etc. The other third are LEOs or military. The last third are older retired interested in learning a new skill. Refreshingly, there are many women in the course and most are outshooting the gents. The classroom time continued with an emphasis on safety and a few hard/fast rules. One interesting one was speed holstering. They are ok with a fast draw, but the weapon should be reholstered slowly, reluctantly and only after a thorough area assessment. They talked a lot about dry fire drills and gave some horrific stories of mistakes made, including one student shooting and killing his best friend that was taking the class with him.

We reviewed basic gun handling and the Modern Technique of the Pistol, the combat triad (Mindset, Gun Handling and Marksmanship). As the day would progress, I would quickly come to terms with the fact that I am a pretty good marksman, but a rookie gun handler. The mindset has only been touched on briefly, but is supposed to progress through the week. We reviewed marksmanship, which best describes the shooting I have done for the past 30 years- slow, methodical accuracy shooting as sport. The last points of discussion was weaver stance, push/pull and the 5-step presentation. Everything made sense in the classroom, but then we drove to the range to put it to practice. Humble pie was served.

Driving down to the range, we spent about 30 minutes working on manipulating the firearm, stance and dry fire presentation. Then we started shooting, concentrating on marksmanship. At this point I was feeling like a champ shooting machine, hitting tight groups and certainly within the top three of the 24 person class on accuracy. Then we started incorporating stance, push/pull and the 5-step presentation. With each new piece, my marksmanship started to degrade, even introducing problems like pulling shots and crappy trigger pull. With each new piece, my rookie(ness) was becoming clear. The mental replay shouting, GRIP, CLEAR, CLICK, **********, LOOK - FIRE. The movements were robotic, slow and inconsistent. However, I love learning and embraced my inner rookie- keep trying, keep practicing. By the end of the day, my hands were sore and my ego thoroughly bruised. We went back to the classroom and reviewed safety while dry practicing off-range. Our homework was to spend 20-30 minutes just practicing presentation, ready position and tactical reload.

I decided to camp the first night, so I headed to the (very nice) Gunsite RV and campground area, popped the Jame Baroud and then started dry practice. I went back to the basics and made sure each step was perfect before adding any speed. If I screwed up or missed a step, I slowed down again. After about 15 minutes, I was getting significantly more smooth. The reloads were going exactly as planned and I even surprised myself a few times with a fluid, technically perfect presentation. Not fast, but it was starting to "click". I decided enough was enough and sat down with my friend Dave (who has a sweet EarthRoamer) for some steaks and a few beverages. Ed, the Range Master stopped by for a few minutes to chat and the conversation shifted to overlanding. Great way to end the evening and I was thoroughly spent, falling to sleep before 10.

Day one was humbling, but no less awesome.

The Good:
1. I am a pretty good shot, so long as I am just pointing the gun at the target and have a ton of time to shoot. Essentially, lots of years "plinking", but no real work on being a shooter.
2. The PARA is nice to shoot. The small frame required a few adjustments to standard technique and the muzzle lifts more than the USP, but I was able to manage with a strong push/pull. Now my tricep hurts!
3. The Gunsite facility is pretty amazing and feels not only academic, but substantial. The history of that place and the volume of servicemembers that have been trained there is impressive. Kind of like walking the halls of the RGS, but for shooters.

The Bad:
1. My mag pouch started having screw back out. Once in the gravel on the range and then another in the tent. I have it sorted now, but another reminder of showing up at anything important with new and untested gear.
2. I believe I started the class underprepared in a few key areas. I have done a lot of shooting, but had almost no fundamental understanding of the core principals of handgun manipulation and handling. Even starting the class with a basic understanding and experience on push/pull, presentation and tac reload would be huge.
3. I should have taken this class 10 years ago. However, ignorance was bliss. I did not know what I didn't know. . .

More on day two soon!

IMG_7701.jpeg
Birdseye of some of the class. Denise in the lower left is a great shot. In fact, the women in the class were overall better marks"man" than the dudes. You can see Ed, the Range Master instilling wisdom on the eager.

IMG_7700.jpeg
This gives a view of one of the Gunsite ranges. There are dozens of ranges on the 500+ acre property.

IMG_7704.jpeg
They send you home with a safety plate for dry practice. Given the attention they put to this subject, I suspect NDs are a huge problem amongst the students. Either way, it made me a lot more careful, which is a good thing.

mvbeggs

Adventurer
The class started with instructor introductions, starting with Ed, our range master.....
View attachment 255837

Tell Ed, Mark Beggs from KC said hello. Ed's a great guy and great instructor.

Although the first few days are like trying to drink from a fire hose, by the end of the week you'll be amazed at how much you have learned and how much your shooting has improved. It will be time, and money, well spent.

P.S. Be sure and ask Ed about the "Ed Stock" talking - action figure. Yep, you can actually buy them. LOL http://www.grandgunparts.com/store/ed-stock-talking-hero-action-figure-special-custom-talking-urban-camo-shooting-accessories-gun-rifle.html

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Training Day Two: The Rookie Improves

Day two also came early, but mostly from the generous drams of Oban the night before. Head pounding slightly from the previous day's time in the sun and light dehydration, I climbed down from the roof tent and addressed the most important task of the morning- coffee. Fortunately, Dave's EarthRoamer has a caffeination options galore and a heater. It was cold through the night, the 15 degree bag proving barely sufficient. A few more dry practice drills and I was ready for whatever adventures Ed had in store for us.

Skipping the class, we headed directly to the range and started with 3, 5, 7, and 10 yard shooting drills. Not for time, we focused on loosening up a bit and taking two hammer shots to center mass, followed up with a cranio-ocular hit to the head. The remaining distances were paired shots to center mass. My presentation had improved considerably from the "homework" and I stopped thinking about a few of the steps. My accuracy was still good, so long as I had plenty of time.

The first major instruction of the morning was magazine changes, practicing both the tactical reload and the speed reload. Hand positioning was critical with the "TAC" reload and I fumbled quite a bit for the first few practice sessions. As with the rest of it, I made fewer mistakes as the practice progressed. The speed load was pretty easy for me- just dump that mag as you are bringing up the fresh one. Steve (Instructor) referred to it as "two ships passing in the night". The instructors do a great job of creating mental pictures and easy to remember analogies. The clever anecdotes greatly aid retention, at least for me. With the mag change instruction, the drills started to become more complex and at first, they reminded us to change mags- as the day progressed, their "hints" to inserting a fresh mag would change. These mag change drills presented the first real disadvantage of the Executive Carry compared to the HK USP- CAPACITY! The USP carries 12 rounds of .45 in the mag, while the 1911 carries eight. Some of the 9mm platforms in the class allowed 15 or even 18! rounds in a mag.

Quite a few of us were struggling with trigger control, so Ed had some pretty impressive tools for fixing the most common maladies. I don't want to share these really unique and hard-won solutions for Ed and Gunsite, but I will say they are effective. My biggest challenge was anticipation, which was causing a few low hits. Interestingly, it only happened once time was integrated with the session. If I had time, I made great hits. Once things sped up, the misses came often. The instruction started to become more specific and the range officers pointed out some really helpful improvements. They would even watch the eyes of the students, judging twitch and focus, how effective the threat scan was, etc.

We then moved on to three kneeling positions, including kneeling unsupported, kneeling supported and double kneeling. All have their advantages, but I favored the kneeling supported and was able to achieve the position quickly and get good hits. A ran a few clean targets from this position, achieving perfect scores. While the session was relatively complex, it was not a speed drill. By this point of day two, I was coming to terms with my biggest challenge- staying smooth and accurate once the speed ramped up.

After the kneeling drills, we transitioned to rotating targets, the range set up with complex air-driven stations that can rotate for brief moments, controlled by the instructors. We had three seconds to make two hits, center mass from the relaxed position. Draw and present, then take two accurate shots within moments. My first two were pretty rough, but I forced myself to slow down and become deliberate with acquiring the front sight and a strong push/pull. The hits got better, much better.

The day ended with the "Duck of Death" drill, where students compete against each other for hits against a steel target at about 15 yards. Two rows of students, and you are paired essentially at random. Lots of misses for nearly everyone in the class. I did ok and made it through the first round. On the second round, I was just behind the hit of the other shooter. Dave made it to the final shootoff, best of three. Really fun and challenging session.

Day two was both humbling and exhilarating. Everything was getting faster and more complex, and I was tracking along just fine. For me, everything was happening faster and smoother, with improved accuracy. I was still shooting well when things were slow, but I was starting to shoot much better once the exercise included movement and expediency. Still a (really) long way to go, but my confidence is rising and the training is proving extremely effective.

Looking forward to day three!!!

Gunsite_.jpg
Ed's built FJ. Complete with replica anti-personnel mines.

Gunsite_ (1).jpg
Chuck, another of the excellent instructors. They each have their own approach and communication style, but all of them are exceptional.

Gunsite_ (2).jpg
A good reminder!

Scott Brady

Founder
Day Three: Epiphany Time!

Wednesday brought a few epiphany moments and several of the firearm presentation techniques were morphing from conscious to subconscious (muscle memory).

The morning started in the classroom and a critical discussion on mindset. The video was an original recording of Jeff Cooper reviewing mental conditioning for self-defense.

While I have not contemplated his lecture sufficiently to determine the degree I ascribe to Mr. Cooper's viewpoint, the content is certainly worth listening to. Most critical is the decision to act. I have always been a decisive person, but it was good to process the weight of those decisions. The White / Yellow / Orange / Red color guide is useful for any traveler, armed or not.

The classroom session was short, but included some important questions and discussions with Mr. Stock. He entertained a few scenarios, principally the home invasion. The discussion was thorough and included specific recommendations on how to manage that event. The class was surprised when Ed said "First, close and lock your bedroom door and call 911". This approach reinforced the practical nature of this curriculum. They intended to teach us how to defend ourselves with a pistol, but this was no Soldier of Fortune tactical ninja mindset- it is a real world mindset which includes the legal implications of self-defense.

Back to the range, our drills started back to the beginning with 3-yard head shots, 5-yard hammer drills to center mass, 10-yard hammer drills, then kneeling at 15 and prone at 25. The speed started increasing and the instruction began transitioning towards the nuances of our errors. I was still jerking the trigger, but my presentation had improved considerably. I stopped thinking about the motion and the pistol just came to bear. Everything was becoming more fluid and smooth, support hand wrapping quickly and accurately, thumb atop safety, support thumb against the slide. During the slow press drills, my accuracy was still in the top 10% of the class and my timed accuracy improved too, although realistically in the top third of classmates. I was shooting a bit low due the my lame trigger control under time, so I started aiming a bit higher. This would serve me well for the rest of the week, but it is hardly an appropriate solution long term.

Wednesday's final instruction included position shooting, pivots and turns. Good insight here, particularly on identifying the threat before even touching the firearm (reaching for a firearm when the individual you intend to draw against is not a threat can be considered assault). The turns and rotations were pretty straight forward, and I did ok with that. All of this led to the El Presidenté drill, which would eat my lunch. Essentially, the El Pres' is ten seconds to draw from facing up range, rotate, hammer drill on three targets, speed reload, then hammer drill on the same three targets for a second round. My first few attempts were pathetic, taking 16 then 14 seconds and many rounds outside of the x ring. Humbled yet again.

This is how the pros shoot an El Pres'

For the last hour of class, we drove to the house simulator, a shoot-house with several rooms, halls, windows and entry/exits. Charlie provided a thorough review of clearing a house, including techniques for opening doors, position, movement, angles, etc. For day three, we would clear the simulator ourselves. . . stay tuned ;)

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Day Four: Simulators and Flashlights

Thursday was when the course transitioned from educational to awesome, the morning starting with two shooting scenario simulators, the first for me being a wash called the "Donga" and a structure called the "Fun House". These exercises took most of the morning and they were not only an incredible training tool, but took the entire learning process to the next level, requiring all of the foundational elements to occur subconsciously, while the conscious efforts are focused on movement, senses, position, judgement, etc. The shooting needed to be second nature.

The Donga
This scenario is situated along the length of a high desert wash, complete with a sand and rock base and loose slopes. Steve, the lead instructor presented the scenario of a family lost down the wash with a group of "bad dudes" taking them hostage. I felt quite comfortable in the wash, as I have spent significant time walking and hiking in just such environments. Careful of my foot placements and resisting the urge to cross my stride (crossing one foot over the other destabilizes and invites a fall). The goal was to use the natural features of the wash for concealment and cover, and to identify threats and impart a hammer pair to drop the popper steel targets. There was also victims in the wash, so the goal was not to shoot those. I worked hard to "pie" the various cover points along the wash and identify targets. The first couple targets were easy and I only had one miss with the first shot, a lesson in the sight vs. bullet path as my round hit the dirt berm and overshot the target. The second round rang true and dropped the popper.
Gunsite_15.jpg

The instructors follow close behind to ensure safety and prevent errant rounds, etc.

Gunsite_16.jpg

With that, target three went down. Fortunately, I was shooting much better in the simulators than on the paper at the square range.

I didn't shoot the "friendly", which was a relief.

The Fun House
Another scenario, but this one was inside a configurable structure, arranged to look like a home with halls, walls, windows, doors, etc. The situation was a friends house where you hear the family screaming inside.

Even though I knew the entire situation was fake and in a controlled training environment, my heart rate kicked up and I was completely focused.

In we go. . .
Gunsite_20.jpg

Gunsite_21.jpg

I shot the dude holding an ice cream. Lesson learned there! Not all dudes in the house are bad guys. Shot placement was impressive though ;)
Gunsite_22.jpg

Distance and cover is important. One good lesson was not to do the peekaboo, where you look around the corner then come back around cover. Fortunately, I came around the door frame and engaged the threat.
Gunsite_23.jpg

This is just training, so it is important to smile and enjoy the experience. I remembered that after clearing the kitchen. This really was fun!
Gunsite_24.jpg

Once the kitchen was cleared, I initiated a tac reload and continued to the next room
Gunsite_25.jpg

Gunsite_26.jpg

You start by moving back away from the door just opened, then slowly pie the opening at a distance looking for threats. However, you eventually need to enter the room to see along the wall. That is the most intense motion, committing to making the entry.
Gunsite_29.jpg

Another bad guy down.
Gunsite_30.jpg

Last door
Gunsite_31.jpg

Last bad dude, finished with a hammer pair
Gunsite_32.jpg

Gunsite_33.jpg

For the house, my shot placement was pretty good, but I killed the "friendly". I also approached one door from the wrong side, where I should have opened from the side with an exit route, even though it included crossing over the face of the door. Fortunately, this was just the practice run. I would need to get it all correct for Friday and the evaluation runs.

Thursday ended with night drills and flashlight use. We learned both the FBI technique and the Harries technique. The Harries technique certainly should be the most stable, but I actually shot better with the FBI.

Harries:
CCW-Lights-3.jpg

FBI:
CCW-Lights-1.jpg

I also felt the FBI technique provided a margin of safety should the "bad guy" shoot at the light source.
Some flashlight techniques: http://dailycaller.com/2013/09/18/4-tactical-light-techniques-for-concealed-carry/

Friday is next and the final evaluation. I ended Thursday still firmly in the rookie category, but certainly gained some confidence from the simulators.

Scott Brady

Founder
With the night class, I camped again at the Gunsite grounds. It was fun having Dave around for the class and another friend Boyd. Of course, by this point of the week I had made several new friends from classmates. Overall, I was impressed by the caliber of attendees.

The G-Klasse is proving to be the perfect range vehicle. I can strap targets to the rack and carry the long guns in the cavernous interior. I hooked up the XVenture for camping. Holly cow, that James Baroud tent is nice. So comfortable. These were my first nights in the tent.
Gunsite_39.jpg

Evaluation Wash (Outdoor Simulation)
For me, the morning started early with the first scenarios, a 7:20 roll call at the square range to grab bags, frangibles and low light eye protection. I was brought to the wash first, a deeper and more complex version of the day before. The wash was narrower and cover / concealment more varied. A brief introduction to the scenario, which was a hostage situation. Chris was my instructor for this evaluation and the results would count towards my final rating in the course.

There was multiple angles in the wash and the recesses were at all heights and approaches. The first bad, bad popper was an easy hit. After pieing the corner, it became apparent that there was one bad guy WAY down the wash. Probably 40-50 yards from my position. I kept an eye on him but decided to wait for the shot.
Gunsite_40.jpg

Coming around another corner. More bad dudes and a few more hammer rounds. All fell and no misses.
Gunsite_41.jpg

Gunsite_42.jpg

The instructors keep an eye on everything, including trigger control, mag changes, etc. I was continually impressed by what they remembered.
Gunsite_43.jpg

Here, Chris is watching my footwork. They ding you if your stride crosses.
Gunsite_44.jpg

So much fun. You get completely focused and all of the training starts to gell. It was just steel targets, but the rush is undeniable.
Gunsite_45.jpg

Hello Mr. Bad Steel dude
Gunsite_46.jpg

Gute Nacht
Gunsite_48.jpg

After dropping a few more targets, it was time to take a crack at the long shot. I missed and stopped after two shots, then conducted a tac reload. He was still about 35 yards away-too far.
Gunsite_47.jpg

Next came the hostage taker and hostage. Fortunately, I did not whack the friendly and dispatched the bad dude with a hammered pair.

After that, it was time to take the "long shot". It ended up being about 25-30 yards from kneeling on an unstable surface. He dropped with the first round. Not bad for a 3" barrel.
Gunsite_49.jpg

Great feedback from Chris and Steve, but overall, I cleaned the wash properly and had no misses and no friendlies.

The Playhouse (Indoor Simulation)
The indoor simulation was next and included a significantly more complex scenario and more bad guys. There was a hostage scenario. I entered from the outside and into a long hall with multiple doors. The door on the left was slightly ajar, but the one on the right was closer. I chose to take the one on the right, and got the "buzzer" from the instructor. I should have taken the ajar (but against the jam) door, as an assailant could sneak up from behind as I cleared the room on the right without me hearing the door come open. So, I adjusted and cleared the left room first, and didn't shoot the guy holding a beer. I instructed him to set the beer down and turn around. Heads on top of your head and go to kneeling, then lay flat on the floor. With that, the instructor indicated he was out of the fight.

On to the next room, it opened into a kitchen with a target on the left. Hammer pair and clean. There was a big window and I began to pie the opening, but not far enough. I missed a target along the outside wall, which could only be seen after a complete pie had been completed- ding. Fortunately, most of the class missed that dude, but lesson learned. With one remaining door, I swung it open to reveal a wall and a long hallway going right and left. Learning my lesson with the window, I swung way left to gain as much of a view as possible. The right looked clear. Swinging all the way to the right, I could see a shoulder down the left hall. I approached the opening and brought the 1911 to ready, both hands in proper position and a strong push/pull. I remembered the lesson on the "peekaboo", and moved my head, shoulder and pistol past the doorframe. The target was clear, showing a large man holding a gun to a boys head. The front site was right between the man's eyes. "DROP THE GUN" I said, in a firm voice, but not yelling. As the words strung from my lips I was bringing the front site to a razor sharp and aligned position, my grip tightening further and my finger applying two pounds to a three pound trigger. "SCREW YOU, I AM GOING TO SHOOT HIM" the instructor responded on behalf of the target. With that, the last ounces of pressure from my index finger pressed against the skeletonized trigger of the PARA, the break of the hammer surprising me and the round sent in the direction of the assailant. The bullet impacted directly in his right eye- the simulation was over.

While I had made a few mistakes, selecting the wrong door initially and them missing the bad dude in the window, all of my targets were clean hits and the final target was a solid ocular scoring. I was charged and had learned a lot. I now have a little bit of perspective on clearing a house or building and can just imagine how people that do that for real must feel. Give me the wash any day. . .

I have no images from the house clearing, but I do have a full video from several camera angles. I will put that together in the next week or so and post.

The day ended with final scoring on three yards (head shot in 1.5 seconds), seven yards (pair center mass in 2 seconds), 15-yards (kneeling in 3 seconds) and 25-yards (prone in 8 seconds). Being that this is timed, I am happy with my score, missing low with one shot and just barely outside of the x-ring with two other shots. Score of 41.
Ed, laying out the scored exercise
Gunsite_52.jpg

For fun, the final shootout was a man-on-man drill which included a reload. I lasted the first round but was quickly eliminated by faster and more accurate shooters. It was interesting to watch some people wait for slower shooters before walking up. I picked shooters better than me for the challenge, I won the first, but lost the second. The final rounds of shooters was so fun to watch with some really close matches.

The Man-on-Man
Gunsite_53.jpg

Some of the faster shooters
Gunsite_54.jpg

My second round. Beat him on the draw, but struggled with the furthest target.
Gunsite_56.jpg

An iPhone video I captured of a few students completing the drill

The day ended with some encouraging words from Ed and the other instructors, then we were presented with certificates. There was some fun ribbing among the classmates and lots of applause for all in attendance. I was given my certificate and earned their Marksman I rating, generous given my performance early in the week, but no-doubt scored from my shooting the final evaluation day- fortunately for me, a lot came together in the heat of the moment- that is all any of us can ask for.

With the instructors. These guys are all supremely competent and equally interesting.
Gunsite_.jpg

The November 2014 250 Class
Gunsite_%20(1).jpg

I will post a few more thoughts tomorrow, including key lessons and how all of the equipment survived. I was also fortunate to take a walk through of Cooper's Sconce and see the gun room. What a week!

Scott Brady

Founder
Final Thoughts, Lessons learned and How My Gear Survived.

The Gear:
IMG_7692.jpeg

Overall, the PARA 1911 .45 ACP Executive Carry was flawless. With over 1,000 rounds fired, I only had one failure to extract, which after inspection proved to be a bent casing. Otherwise it always fired when prompted. I am still on the fence with the pistol overall, as I love the heritage of the 1911, but the 3" barrel and overall size vs. capacity begs some further consideration. By the end of the week, it felt like an extension of my arm, the beavertail falling neatly into the web of thumb and the overall performance exceeding my expectations. However, it is still a pretty big gun and prints more than preferred with concealed carry (Galco King Tuk IWB). Within 10-15 yards, I do not see it giving much up to the larger service pistols, but I shot the PARA side-by-side with my USP this past Sunday and the grouping was certainly different, particularly in the 20-30 yard range. I would say the the PARA 1911 is as accurate (or maybe more so) than similar 3" barrel options. The matched barrel and quality construction seems worth the price. In general, I am convinced that 1911 mags suck, and I experienced major variations in loading ease and even seating the mags in the mag well. Through the week, I ditched a few oddball mags, one being a Wilson Combat and the other a Chip McCormick. These are supposed to be "legit" mags, but the factory PARA 8-rounds units were honestly the best. I carry with a Wilson Combat because it is a smaller profile, but the PARA mags are what I plan to buy more of. The only minor issue with the PARA was the grip screws. I needed to snug them on day three. For cleaning, I performed a full field strip on Wednesday night and then sprayed a little Ballistol after removing the upper on Thursday night.

For a flashlight, I used the SureFire E1D Defender . It is crazy-bright (300!!! Lumens) for the size, but I actually think the flashlight should be a touch longer, so I am going to get the E2D. I was having difficulty retrieving the light from under my arm after a mag change- just too short. I also want a lanyard on it. The lanyard technique seems much better for mag changes and retention overall.
e1dl.png

For gun leather, I used a FrontLine unit, designed in Israel and used by several of their units. Personally, I like the holster, enough to buy another one for my USP. It was made for a 4" barrel, so a little long for the 3" Para. However, it retained the firearm just fine and was easy to draw from and reholster. They are a three-layer design, with the inside being suede, then a layer of Kydex formed to the pistol, followed by a finished leather outer. They look like a classic leather holster, but have all the benefits of modern Kydex. I used a Galco mag pouch, but had a little trouble with the tension screws falling out. I fixed that with blue loctite.

I was quite prepared for the week, and even had a full gunsmith kit in the Merc. I helped a few fellow students with problems. I also really like the Filson range bag. Not too "TactiCool" and more classic. For clothing, I stuck mostly with TAD gear, although I did use one of the new Underarmor concealed carry collard shirts on Tuesday- I will buy more of those. Those TAD Covert 10s are seriously my favorite shooting pants of all time. They have a knee pad sleeve integrated, which I put some D30 pads from an abandoned pair of Icon motorcycle pants.
Gunsite_26.jpg

The G-Wagen was pretty rad too. I drove it all week and camped out of the XVenture Trailer. That James Baroud tent is unreal. It has been nice to drive a completed project. No modifications are planned for the G-Wagen, it just works. One of the Doctors in the class snapped this shot as I was leaving Gunsite
10507155_10153320394698275_1589665452004899658_o.jpg

Lessons Learned
1. This training is only the beginning. Now I need to practice, practice, practice.
2. I want to take the 350 class, the shotgun course, the edged weapon class, the. . . ;)
3. Test your gear before you take the class. I was shocked by the equipment and gun failure in this class. Not all 1911s are the same- some were a junk show.
4. Go into the class with a bit of gun handling experience. Practice presentation and mag changes with the pistol and gear you intend to take the class with.
5. Marksmanship is not the same as defensive shooting- I learned that lesson the hard way, and quickly.
6. Use the largest caliber you can handle. There were some women and men in the course that had no business shooting a .45 ACP, and their results showed it.
7. Mindset is critical. Be aware of your surrounding and have a plan.
8. Have fun during the training. I watched several students have their tacticool aspirations crushed and they never recovered. The instructors are relentless, so you need to actively improve and take all of their feedback as constructive.
9. Gunsite is a fantastic organization that works hard to maintain Jeff Cooper's original spirit. The entire experience was first class.
10. If you are carrying a gun for self defense, don't wait to get training. Right now, you have no idea what you don't know. . . at all. I waited 10 years too long for training and even though I was active duty military, that training was wholly inadequate. I have a USAF marksmanship ribbon and I would say marksmanship is less than 10% of being a good defensive pistol shooter. That was the hardest lesson of the week. Shooting tight groups is a small piece of the puzzle. ;)

Thanks for reading. I am off to buy more bulk .45 and a few more USP 12-round mags.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz