Gunsite 250: My 5-Day Pistol Course Experience

Scott Brady

Founder
The week ended with a tour of the Sconce, Jeff and Janelle Cooper's home on the Gunsite Ranch. A modest home from the exterior, it was thoughtfully designed for both living/entertaining and security.

Janelle was kind enough to show a few of us around the house and share a few stories about Mr. Cooper. She had received a copy of Overland Journal earlier in the week and greatly enjoyed a few of the stories, particularly the ones on Africa.

Janelle reads a bit on the history of the home and Gunsite. She is 94 and as sharp as a tac.
Gunsite_58.jpg

The home has a few thoughtful security touches, none of which look lame or "prepper". This is a gate that closes the bedrooms off from the rest of the house. It can be shut remotely and allowed Jeff to see any intruders from behind the cover of a doorway.
Gunsite_59.jpg

A spiral staircase led to the basement, chock full of books. Jeff was a voracious reader. He particularly enjoyed accounts from military field operations, where he was able to discern trends in behavior and nuances of strategy.
Gunsite_61.jpg

Jeff's Lion, taken from the ground and while walking through the bush
Gunsite_62.jpg

As expected, many 1911s in the gun room
Gunsite_63.jpg

Gunsite_64.jpg

Big bore hunting rifles
Gunsite_65.jpg

A chance for me to sit amongst a legend's workspace
Gunsite_66.jpg

Styre Scout
Gunsite_67.jpg

Gunsite_68.jpg

The tour has inspired me to read a few of Jeff's books. Does anyone have a favorite?
Gunsite_61.jpg

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
Lessons Learned
10. If you are carrying a gun for self defense, don't wait to get training. Right now, you have no idea what you don't know. . . at all. I waited 10 years too long for training and even though I was active duty military, that training was wholly inadequate. I have a USAF marksmanship ribbon and I would say marksmanship is less than 10% of being a good defensive pistol shooter. That was the hardest lesson of the week. Shooting tight groups is a small piece of the puzzle. ;)

This. I know lots of 'gun guys' who have no idea what they don't know. In a real life-and-death situation they would most likely not survive, or end up shooting innocent bystanders, while completely missing the bad guy (if they even got to their gun). Good report, and sounds like a great week.

phxtoad

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure the guy with the ice cream had it coming...

Thanks for the great report.

Someday!

Todd

brentbba

Explorer
As a newbie and not even a gun owner yet, and having taken only the basic one full day class, this was an extremely interesting and informative read on education and practice. Thank you for taking the time to chronicle your experience.

Scott Brady

Founder
As a newbie and not even a gun owner yet, and having taken only the basic one full day class, this was an extremely interesting and informative read on education and practice. Thank you for taking the time to chronicle your experience.

You are welcome.

Prescott and Gunsite are an easy drive from you. Let us know if you come into town!

ssc45

Observer
Nice write up. Do they still teach the weaver stance? I am assuming that is what you were referring to about the push pull? I am surprised and impressed by the para's performance.

Cheer, Steve

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
Now you have to attend the GAS next October. Well worth the time and $ to shoot against other graduates!

brentbba

Explorer
You are welcome.

Prescott and Gunsite are an easy drive from you. Let us know if you come into town!

Just happens that I'm working in Scottsdale now. Temporary position that may become permanent here in December. AZ AND CA living. I've already checked out the drive time to Prescott! :smiley_drive: Now all I have to do is drive the Landcruiser over instead of the Prius! 30 gallons of gas vs 10!

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Awesome report. Thanks for sharing so much detail. Affordability on this kind of thing is a huge factor, but there is no denying the need for those of us who carry and those of us who live "outside" normal law enforcement response times. Has me rethinking my choice of carry weapon and also allocation of resources, to include this type of training.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Awesome report. Thanks for sharing so much detail. Affordability on this kind of thing is a huge factor, but there is no denying the need for those of us who carry and those of us who live "outside" normal law enforcement response times. Has me rethinking my choice of carry weapon and also allocation of resources, to include this type of training.

Training is essential....as is planning. there are a lot of teachers and schools with solid backgrounds that instruct at a fraction of the cost of some of the "big name" schools. the classes are generally smaller, which means more one on one time with instructors and more flexibility in the course itinerary.

It's a good option to consider.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles