9/16" Amsteel - thimbles, supplioer?

Howard70

Adventurer
Another quick note here - their prices were standard as in what they advertise on the site. The price break is at 600ft as that is what comes on a roll. I don't know what the exact breakdown of the pricing was, but the lady said she would give me the 600ft discount because between 2 lines I had over the 600 mark, it just won't be on a spool. There wasn't an incremental price drop with, say, up to 100ft, 101-250ft, 251-500ft, etc.

Hello Flyfishermen:

It sounds as though they've changed a policy. When I ordered 1/2 inch Amsteel Blue from them this summer, I called asking what the price would be for a spool (spools of 1/2 inch weren't listed on the web). The guy I spoke with said they didn't have spools of 1/2" and asked how much I wanted. I told him the length (I think it was 350 or so) and he quoted me a price that was lower than that listed on the web. Perhaps they've dropped the "per foot" price on the web (it seems pretty low, but I can't find what I paid to compare).

Howard

FlyFishermen

Observer
I got my rope order in. I need to hit the webbing some more here over the holiday and see what I can come up with. My plan is to cut a piece of rope for a shackle first and leave the rest in tact for now. That way I can practice working with the rope, then move on to all the other pieces as I progress.

FlyFishermen

Observer
I am going to have to do this knot a couple times. I have some 1/8" rope in 2 colors that I can practice with.

This is what is left of an 8ft run of the 9/16" on my first shackle attempt. The calculator mentioned earlier only goes up to 1/2" so the numbers aren't quite right for 9/16". Though, with my target 3ft shackle length, for 1/2" rope it would require 130" of rope (10ft 10in). 9/16" would be more. I incorrectly figured up how much rope I needed thinking I was safe at 8ft - there is a lot more rope in the knot (and needed to effectively tie it) than you think. That's ok - my shackles will just be shorter than I wanted.

ropeshackleattempt1_zps53601856.jpg

Attachments

• rope shackle attempt 1.jpg
    rope shackle attempt 1.jpg
    562.9 KB · Views: 6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior