200 TDi North America Serviceability.

Pogue

Workin on it
I would much rather do RoRo, but I have quite a few extra parts coming and with the govt really cracking down on rover imports I don't even want them in the truck. As long as the parts are not on the vehicle, they are not subject to any real scrutiny as I understand it. I don't even want them in the back, just to avoid the possible hassle. But back to the OP, importing your own is a very viable option, could free up enough cash to get you a little closer to your final goal.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
e.g. www.paddockspares.com do pistons with rings for 66 dollars each......inlet valve for 8 dollars etc etc ..all plus shipping.

Fitting a Discovery 200tdi to a LHD Defender can be done with only a few bits needing fabrication...or you can buy all that's needed from www.steveparker.co.uk. I have a 300tdi turbo and inlet manifold fitted on my 200tdi to allow this...easily found second hand.

What I find is that older Defenders can be bought here in Europe at OK money for what they are I guess.Have a look at www.leboncoin.com and see what's what. A reasonable LHD plus 25yrs old Defender here will set you back about 7500 dollars upwards...cheaper still in Spain due to the economic crisis there.(I spied a utility 300tdi 5 door station wagon 110 with 400k kms last week going for 3500 dollars...but too young for the US) A rough Defender needing the crap Turbo Diesel from old replaced/or with a seized motor can be bought from 2000 dollars. Here the chassis(if sourced from Southern France) will be relatively rust free compared to the north where they use salt on the roads in winter.

Try www.ebay.co.uk .co.uk and www.autotrader.co.uk to see relative prices for Defenders (and how much IMO you're getting fleeced for)...albeit RHD ones..another site for LHD is www.mobile.de

Thanks for the links they have helped a lot. The took a bit to learn to navigate as being an American I only speak bad English. Now that I have worked them out I have found some good examples. I like the Idea of looking in Spain too.

Thanks again Ohlins.

Ohlins

Thanks for the links they have helped a lot. The took a bit to learn to navigate as being an American I only speak bad English. Now that I have worked them out I have found some good examples. I like the Idea of looking in Spain too.

Thanks again Ohlins.

No problem...just be aware when navigating Spanish sites for the difference in Santana's and Land Rover's at first glance...(usually spotted by the Santana's having different indicators or leaf springs when one wouldn't expect)

:)

DividingCreek

Explorer
The shipping lines do not allow anything in a vehicle shipped ro/ro other than a jack,tool kit and a spare. Anything else can be shipped with the vehicle but the shipping line will invariably want to palletize those items. They will ship with the vehicle and will be on the same bill of lading, they just cannot be inside. Not sure where your information re parts imports scrutiny comes from but I know of several instances where parts have been a huge issue. They get equal scrutiny.
The government/CBP cracked down 2 years ago and nothing other than completely legal/legit vehicles have entered since. Every single used vehicle entering the US via ro/ro is inspected or is supposed to be by both CBP and Dept of Ag. Its not uncommon to find the seat bottoms in the back of the truck and the rear tool locker lid off where a truck has been thoroughly searched.

Last edited:

DividingCreek

Explorer
I am in tx as well, looking at doing much the same as you. As stated above paying the extra to someone that knows what they're doing is usually worth it. A co-worker, my brother and I are looking at buying ex mod defenders in the u.k. But I have just started searching in Spain and France as well. Shipping from the u.k. is roughly $3500 for a 40 ft container. Split 3 ways it's not so bad.

Add on 6% duty at the port and afew processing fees and you're in the u.s., then almost $1000 to ship from the coast to Austin, unless you can find find a shipper that comes into Galveston or Houston, just thought about that, might be less. Then local TTL and you're good to go.

You may be able to fit 3 90's in a 40, I haven't tried. My experience is that companies load and lashing vehicles will not pack them that tight since they are liable and their insurer's will drop them if they do. 2 110's are a tight fit in a 40. Shipping Land Rovers in a container will automatically get you an intensive exam on arrival in the current climate. US CBP's advance targeting unit will single your box out for intensive exam before it even loads on a ship if your ISF filing is handled correctly. Intensive exam means the box will be taken from the stacks on arrival and taken to a privately owned bonded warehouse contracted to US Customs to handle these exams (read very expensive and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it other than not ship via container) where the freight/trucks will be unloaded and inspected and photographed by Customs officers. Usually a snap decision is not made on the ground, instead the photo's are sent the EPA and DOT to research and Customs lets those agencies decide if your vehicles are granted entry. While that process is playing out you are paying exorbitant storage rates to the bonded warehouse. Usually the shipping line will be charging you daily for their container that has not been returned to them @ the port (some do some don't). I have had intensive exams cost anywhere from $810 (the bonded trucking of the container to the warehouse is usually @ least $500)for the cheapest to $3200 for the most expensive one. IE doubling your cost calculations/expectations. For this reason I have only shipped via ro/ro since late 2012 and have avoided these problems and expenses. I had up to that point, done 88 containers. I ship trucks into Galveston/Houston every month. Just did one from Melbourne Australia into Galveston for a guy in Pecos.
BTW import duty on a used vehicle is 2.5% not 6%.

Last edited:

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Doug, Thank you for all that information. I was already thinking about getting hold of you to handling importing for me and you have now pretty well guaranteed my business. I'm a school teacher and I'm not going to have the extra time or finances to mess around with extra fees. Hope to be talking to you no later than this summer!

Nate

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
After thinking about a range rover. I have found a 110 with a 19j 200000 miles. Body and chassie is great and would be good for a transplant in the next year or two. Im getting mixed messages on the motor and the curent owner in vermont knows little about the trucks previous life.

DougC

Observer
Texas TJ--if you are looking at the black 110 in SATX, you should really call British 4x4 off 281. They have the most experience with LRs in Central Texas--including the dealers. (just read you are looking at a VT truck. I would still call Brett at British 4x4).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier