C3500 Sierra - SRW conversion. What's needed?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
What is required to go to a single rear wheel (SRW) on a longbed Dually pickup? I'm assuming the axle is a 14 bolt (Model year 2000 truck)

Obviously, one would need to go to a flatbed or SRW specific bed, to eliminate the "dually hips".

Is the axle able to accept a 3/4 ton wheel, with a spacer, or?

Looking to go SRW, and then install 3/4 springs for ride quality.

This is just one of many possible choices in vehicles I have, and wanted to know what I'd be in for to convert it.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Not 100% on the front swap. The rear is easy a spacer will do. The front how ever I think you would need new hub assemblies. To suck it back in. If you are shopping don't buy a 1 ton dually if you are not after that truck. Look for what you want and get that.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Not 100% on the front swap. The rear is easy a spacer will do. The front how ever I think you would need new hub assemblies. To suck it back in. If you are shopping don't buy a 1 ton dually if you are not after that truck. Look for what you want and get that.

Close family has a gently used truck that I'm considering. It very well may be given to me for cheap/free.

I could leave it as-is, but maintaning 4 tires is much cheaper than six, especially seeing as how I won't be using it to capacity.

I'm not 100% clear on why you'd need to do anything to the front? Can you explain that a bit more?

98dango

Expedition Leader
The wheel mount is wider by 3" per side than a standard truck. So to run the same tiers And wheels all around you would need to Chang it as well. Honestly a dually is not that much more cost. Yes it's 2 more tiers but the rears tend to last longer.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I love my f250 but am also in the market for a 1 ton dually for camper and towing duties.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
The wheel mount is wider by 3" per side than a standard truck. So to run the same tiers And wheels all around you would need to Chang it as well. Honestly a dually is not that much more cost. Yes it's 2 more tiers but the rears tend to last longer.

Ahhh, I see. Thanks for explaining.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz