Dodge V-10 engine

STREGA

Explorer
Did a search but did not come up with much on the V-10 engine found in Dodge trucks. I've been looking for a truck to tow my 30' 5th wheel (my home for 6-9 months a year) that has a GVWR of 15k lbs. for a while now. I have found a 3500 Dodge dually that has the V-10 engine that falls in my price range and mileage/condition parameters and even has a 5th wheel hitch/7 pin connection in the bed/brake controller installed.

I don't know much about this engine other than it has pretty good low end power and gets sucky fuel mileage (which I can live with). Does anyone on the Portal have any experience with the V-10 pro or con? Thanks for any input that will help in making the decision to buy or pass.

chet6.7

Explorer
I had a 97,it is a quiet engine,I liked that.I had the disappering coolent problem and was starting to have oil prerssure problems when I got rid of it.Unless you want to be a V10 guru,I would pass on a V10.The engine is no longer made,even when it was in production there was not a lot of aftermarket support like GM has.
If I was going big block I would go with a 454,just because of the aftermarket support.The 454 had problems as well but just about everyone makes an aftermarket part to fix it.
Look at Summit Racing and see the difference in support.

There was a change in the heads that is worth checking out,
http://dodgeramv10.yuku.com/topic/495/Cracks-in-Heads
and oil pressure problems, http://dodgeramv10.yuku.com/topic/1494/Oil-Pressure

Hawkz

Adventurer
I had a 1995 Ram 2500 with the V10. I loved the truck, but I was young and couldn't afford to keep gas in it, so I traded it. I never had any problems with mine, but it didn't have a lot of miles either, so I'm probably not much help...

Binksman

Observer
I have an 02 Ram 2500 with the V10 (former USFS truck from CA). We just got back from a 1000 mile round trip to the Hatfield-McCoy Trail area in WV and the truck tripped over 185k as we rolled into our home town. This is my work truck, but we usually take it on long trips because we want to haul more stuff or trust the truck more than our high mileage ZJ.

The V10 will haul all day long with nary a complaint. My truck really doesn't care how much weight it hauls either. I haul at my GVWR about once a month with no problems. The cruise control can still handle all but the steepest grades here in the mountains of Central PA, even with that much weight in the bed. I do need to downshift when I have a 4/5k trailer hooked on.

Driving it with a stick shift, the engine feels very similar to a diesel- similar low end torque, similar high end drop-off, similar short rev range. With stock mufflers, it is whisper quiet though. Fuel mileage is my only complaint- I rarely see double digits and it doesn't matter if it is loaded or empty. But its the best work truck I've ever owned and possibly the most reliable that I've ever driven.

At 185k, the only problems my particular truck has experienced have been a leaky rear axle seal, the AC compressor clutch seized up, a thermostat needed replaced, one of my catalytic converters finally went on this recent trip, and I just picked up an error code for the #2 fuel injector. Other than tires and batteries, none of that is anything beyond normal wear and tear on a 22 year old truck with 185k miles. One thing to keep in mind is that during development, Dodge actually put a LOT of R&D into this engine to make it a competitive work/fleet engine to compete with the Cummins option back in the day and the competitors big block engines of the time.

STREGA, the only reasons I would suggest you avoid the V10 is if the truck has an automatic transmission or if you are driving high miles while towing those 6-9 months a year (in which case a diesel would probably save you some fuel money but I'm sure you've consider that).

STREGA

Explorer
Thanks for the input much appreciated. With more searching I have more info on the Dodge V-10 some quite interesting. One of the most important things I learned was there was indeed head issues on the early V-10's but appears that by the 1999 model year the problem had been fixed. The truck I'am looking at is a 2002 so it should be good.

The pictures of the truck on the internet looked very promising but without seeing it in person you never really know how good of a deal it is. Lucky for me my father in law only lives about 30 miles away from it and he went and checked it out for me on Tuesday. Of course he had to mess with me a little bit and he tells me it's a POS, then tells me it's a easy 9 out of a 10 and if I don't buy it he was going to. So I now own a '02 Dodge 3500 2wd dually.

It's a 1 owner truck that's been garaged it's whole life. The guy used it to tow collector cars and took excellent care of it as if it was a collector car. It does have a auto tranny, a stick would probably have been better but can live with it. 79k on the odo not bad for a 12 year old truck. Also has leather interior a first for me. Tires are brand new as is the 5th wheel hitch which for me is a bonus. I won't be able to see it until the week of Christmas when my wife has a week off so we can pick it up.

swirvin21

Hard Corps
I have owned 3 V10 Rams and know a number of other owners from other forums like DodgeOffroad and PavementSucks who give many opinions. Overall it's a decent motor if you take care of it. The spark plug wires need to be routed carefully and per instructions to avoid cross-firing and other than the early head issue the only other thing I know of is making sure the front cover is properly torqued. The oil pump is very unique and rides inside the front cover, so any loosening of the bolts can result in damage to the cover. They were special styrofoam cast in sand units and there are no NIB replacements, only leftovers at the salvage yards. Mine get consistent 9-10mpg regardless of empty or loaded with an automatic. I'm easy on my trucks and use overdrive lockout consistently until I get on the highway at 65 loaded. I feel like my trucks prefer running just at or around 2K rpm in OD to have consistent power and avoid kicking in and out of OD. Best upgrades for the auto are replacing the plastic accumulator and other plastic parts with inexpensive aluminum units, getting a conversion kit to run the Chevy solenoid, oversized pan, good cooler and temp gauge. A simple mild shift kit doesn't hurt either. Check your gears as well, as 3.54s are common and I'm running 265/70R17 3rd gen alloys and need the 2k RPM like I mentioned above to stay in OD.

You'll likely have a D70 rear, which is a decent unit, but you can swap in D80 or AAM 11.5 if you want something larger. If you change out the muffler, go with a large unit like the Flowmaster Big Block mufflers or it'll sound like a lawn mower or ricer. There are a ton of aftermarket headers on Ebay that are okay as long as you have a local shop verify the flanges are flat. The air intake system from K&N is worthwhile, though expensive. You can make your own kit from some of the other filter makers DIY options. The V10 bellhousing is the same as the Cummins, so starters and trans are direct swaps more or less, which makes for easier manual swap if you choose. Motor mounts are almost always bad, believe there is a poly option available and it's likely the same kit as for the Cummins. Radiator is in between the size of a V8 and Cummins, but the radiator support is setup to handle the larger radiators if you want. I believe Griffin makes an aluminum version.

My 2003 V10 is a crew cab and the last of it's breed, so I'm hoping to run it for a long time. I plan to have DTT rebuild or at least use their parts after lots of research. You don't need to get the crazy expensive upgrades unless you're really hard on the truck. I plan on adding an aux trans filter and dual trans gauges to really keep an eye on temps. Can't really think of much else....I have a build thread on my '98 V10 on another site, but need to see which one. I removed the original V10 and swapped in one from my 3rd wrecked truck and completely went through the motor with new gaskets, water pumps, etc, so there are some good pics to show how everything goes together. Yanking those motors is NOT FUN!! Easier to pull the engine mounts off the block than pull the intake IMO. Feel free to ask if you have questions!

docdave

Aspiring overlander
I had a '95 regular cab 4x4. It was a hoot to drive, and hauled and pulled great.... had 4.11 gears. I used to tell people I could pass anything on the road...except a gas station. 8 or 9 mpg with a pop up camper on it... not much difference unloaded.

Rot Box

Explorer
Strega, let us know how you like your new rig :cool:

My 2003 V10 is a crew cab and the last of it's breed, so I'm hoping to run it for a long time.

I always assumed the V10 ended with the 2002 body style so I looked it up. Wow.. sounds like the 3rd gen V10's are super rare :Wow1: Pretty cool.

STREGA

Explorer
Sounds like a nice catch.

I'am feeling pretty good about it, time will tell. I've been looking all year at trucks and came close a couple of times on buying a couple of nice trucks but for one reason or another ended up passing on them. I would of really liked a diesel but could not find one in the budget I had that this truck came with. At one point I considered selling the FJ Cruiser to help pay for a newer truck but really did not like that option much. With this truck the FJ stays. Maybe down the road we might get a hard side camper for trips that don't require off road prowess that's what the FJ/teardrop will be for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94