LR3 Roof Antenna

ryandavenport

Adventurer
Hi all,

My wife and I bought a 2008 LR3 used a few weeks back and are slowly working our way through it getting it where we want it. It is missing the fin style roof antenna, but it has a black disk with what appears to be a wire coming out and cut off on the hatch. Can anyone help explain what this could possibly be to me? Also, if I buy a new fin antenna, where will it plug in at?

Thanks!

JAK

JAK:JeremySnow
A picture would be helpful. My 2006 does not have the fin. I do have Nav though. The GPS antenna is in a slightly different place on my model year. I am not sure when the cut in year for the fin style mount came into play though.

zelatore

Explorer
I believe the fin antenna was for the satellite radio? My '07 has the fin/sat, though I admit I've never used it.

ryandavenport

Adventurer
Below is a picture of what I am talking about. It appears as though the fin goes on both the rear hatch and the roof. Does that sound correct? If so, I think what I may have are some remnants of the original fin and part of the mounting bracket. I think all I need to complete this is a new antenna and mountain bracket. Sound correct?

ryandavenport

Adventurer
Thanks! Just confirmed matching part numbers with roverlandparts and they are a little less expensive. I'm checking to see if a salvage lot I am talking to has it first before I begin ordering from different locations.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Anyone know how I might REMOVE the dome/fin contraption while retaining GPS/nav? I don't care if it means SAT radio is lost. The dome/bump is often in my way for various roof mounting ideas. For example, my bridging ladders fit perfectly sitting on top of the factory tracks (basically "bridging" across the roof) while also being below my Hannibal rack which is mounted on Yakima towers into the tracks. They are tucked away yet instantly reachable if needed. When the rack is off, they double as a standing platform for scouting, photography, or animal sighting.

Removing the huge antenna bump would allow one to go there instead if I wanted to have 4 and/or more glass roof coverage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles