Solar panels on roof top tent?

mudshark

Anyone know if you can put solar panels on a 'glass roof top tent? I looking at Maggiolina and James Baroud tents. I was also thinking of moving my Fan-Tastic Vent to the tent roof due to the area ton the floor taken up by the tent.

Arclight

SAR guy
Anyone know if you can put solar panels on a 'glass roof top tent? I looking at Maggiolina and James Baroud tents. I was also thinking of moving my Fan-Tastic Vent to the tent roof due to the area ton the floor taken up by the tent.

If the roof is long enough to allow for self-adhesive solar panels, that's totally the way to go. Unfortunately, these are made for solar building roofs, and tend to be long and skinny. I believe Unisolar makes several. They are popular on trailers and RVs.

Otherwise, it will come down to whether or not you want to drill holes and put 20lbs or so on the roof.

Arclight

We have a company we deal with called Power Film. These are solar panels on a heavy duty canvas that we put on top of our tents.

joelbert

Adventurer
I had been wondering the same thing and looking at James Baroud tents wondering which one would be best to affix a solar panel to and how it could be done.

Any pictures of the heavy duty canvas solar panels installed or more details from anyone that has solar installed this way?

I would not need a lot of solar, but enought to keep a fridge/batteries charged, minimal lights, etc. Not just the fan that comes with the tent.

rrliljedahl

Observer
I have a Maggiolina roof top tent installed on top of my jeep.

image.jpg

That is a 100 watt solar panel which I simply glued to the "fiberglass" top of the tent using this AM Solar kit to include the 4 optional mounting feet. It does stick up a couple of inches but that has yet to be a problem.

http://www.amsolar.com/home/amr/page_106_43/s-gs100_solar_panel_kit.html

It has been up there for over 4 years and no failure yet of the "dicore" adhesive AM solar had me use.

image.jpg

This was the smallest 100 watt panel at 20x40 inches , lightest at 14.5 pounds and most efficient (18.3%) that I could find.

AM Solar has always been great to work with.

Ron

Last edited:

Fatma

Dear Mudshark,

Can you please update me with what you've done with regards to the solar film on top of a rooftop tent? I have a Jamesbaroud explorer evo which I want to install a solar film on.

mkitchen

Explorer
Solar Film

With a Solar Film, you do not need to affix it to the tent. SF, as stated above is a fold-able canvas base and folds into a 10" by 10" by 2" unit and can be tied to anything handy. I quite often just lay it across my hood and windshield of my truck. Mine is a 60 watt and keeps tow batteries up without problem. Power Film is a great way to go.
Mikey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier