360 Degree Vehicle Lighting Options?

amo292

Adventurer
Hello all, I am looking to you guys to see what I have for options for vehicle lighting that surrounds the truck. I have a 2008 tundra dbl cab and I just put my Bed Cap back on it. I realized while backing into the driveway I really can't see ******t. This is because the caps tinted windows combined with my tinted windows results in straight darkness. Im looking for options that can spread some low intensity light all around my side and back end. '

I have looked at rigid A Series rock lights to aim out from the wheel wells but haven't really seen much for reviews on them. What do you have? Any tips and pics appreciated.

IMG_4935.jpgIMG_0074.jpg

Last edited:

1stDeuce

Explorer
I have the same problem on my GMC with the cap on. What you need isn't low intensity light, it's a LOT of fairly bright light. :) I have two LED work lights on the rear corner of my camper that do a fairly good job of making it daylight back there. On my last truck, I put some 50w halogen bulbs in the factory backup lamps. That worked really well too, but you don't want to sit in reverse for more than a few minutes or you melt the housing. The new truck has the flat blade style lamps, and my round base 1156 style halogens won't go in. :(

Chris

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Have you considered removing the tint? Should make it a bit easier to see when you do put lights up.

AS for lights, I'd mount some LED flood lights to the back of the cap. Something that will throw down a lot of light in the rear so you can back up safely. I'm planning on doing something similar on my Bronco soon.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Even adding Super bright LED bulbs to you back up housing would make a world of difference. I have to get some off ebay for my rigs to see backing up.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Mount a buggy whip. Mine uses an 1156 bulb socket. I put a 50w halogen in it or you can get led bulbs that go into the 1156 socket. A fully lighted led wips are also popular. They don't light up like a headlight but one will knock the dark out of a whole campsite. Mounts that fold down are used and some clamp on a tube. A hundred sites with every flavor is available. Example. http://www.ecrater.com/p/3032651/white-super-bright-led-whip

amo292

Adventurer
I have considered removing the tint but I enjoy the privacy and the cap is only on a few months of the year. I was thinking about mounting lights to the cap but strayed away from that for the same reason.

I actually overlooked just adding brighter lights to the original housings but I still want some side light.

I will look into those whips. Be interesting to see how it would hold up to New England winters.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
Hella AS115 dual bulb work lamp. This lamp has two 55W halogens bulbs and throws a wide pattern. I have the clear lens model mounted to the rear of my LR.

amo292

Adventurer
Thanks all for the tips so far. I considered doing a rear camera, but that was a little more in depth then I really wanted to go. I use my mirrors but still can't always see everything that I want to. That and they are not always an option (need to have them tucked occasionally).

I think I'm going to keep looking into wheel well mounted lights and flush mounted lights on the bumper. Still interested pictures!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Yeah, I forgot about the flush bumper leds. I have them in my to get list. But I would go on ebay and pick up a set of high power LED reverse lights. That will make a big difference right there. if you still don't have enough light, then pop a set of cheap ebay LED flush mounts in your bumper and you should be good then.

trail-explorer

Adventurer
I have these, which would work as rack mounted lights, if you were looking for overhead lighting.

LED Flood Light

DSCN5178.jpg

DSCN5179.jpg

v_man

Explorer
I put a bunch of these under the truck , they are cheap, LED flood style lights . I have them switched and relayed so I can use some , or all of them . You can find a pair all day on Amazon for $20-30....

IMG_0966_zps4aba6f2f.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles