2014/2015 GMC Sierra 1500

sargeek

Adventurer
I may get the opportunity to replace my company vehicle and daily driver; a 2008 Chevy Silverado with a 2014 or 2015 GMC Sierra 1500. As much as a would love to get a Ford or Dodge, or fleets are GM, and specifically GMC. My personal vehicles are a 1999 Jeep TJ, and a 2006 Tacoma.

I would prefer a 3/4 ton, but since I use the vehicle to commute 60 miles a day its not justified. I tow trailers on a regular basis and probably exceed the rated capacity a couple times of the year. I supervise the operations on a 3300 acre program facility at 7,000 feet, and 300 acre property at 9,000 feet. Snow, mud, and ice driving are a regular occurrence, and if it gets ugly on any of our properties I am "essential" personal and will respond regardless of the weather. I spend about 50% of my time in suits, and the other 50% in carharts deep in the dirt at work.

It seems like the American Trucks are now prepackaging vehicles similar to the Japanese vehicles. I just want some guidance on the packages and options that will make me happy for the next 6 years and 150k miles.

BASE: GMC Sierra 1500:
Crew Cab, Standard Box (The Short Box would not be a deal breaker)
4 Wheel Drive, SLE Trim (Hopefully its a mistake on the web page, but the base trim Sierra has not transfer case? Its just AWD, like a lot of the new Suburbans?)
Option Packages::
Max Trailering Pack $1700: Automatic Locking Differential, Handling/Trailering Suspension Package, 9.76" rear axle, 3.73 axle ratio, integrated brake controller (I think this is what they used to call the heavy half option, and over sizes the axle/brakes. The only part I do not like is that it requires 18" wheels (P235/65R18) instead of 17". Not many LT tires in 18".) Requires the 5.3L V8.
SLE Value Package:$1620: Power Seats, Remote Start, Fog Lights, Universal Home Remote, Rear defrost, 110 vAC, Dual Zone Climate; Trailering Package.
All-Terrain Package: $1900: Z71 Suspension, Z82 Trailer Packaging, Eaton Locking Differential, Park Assist.
Add: Block Heater: $90.00
External Transmission Oil Cooler: N/C
Integrated Trailer Brake Controller: N/C
Spray-on Bed Liner: $475
Fender Flares (Rugged Look) $399
Total Price $43,925 includes $5,500 incentive.

What do you GM experts think? Remember this is a company vehicle, it is a factory option or you don't get it, unless something breaks. You don't get the option of aftermarket builds.

Add on after purchase: VHF Commercial Band Radio, Larson NMO Antenna (current one on the fender, but I might drill the roof on this one, but they are hell in parking garages)

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Not sure what kind of input you are looking for as each person will have their own idea what they personally would order. To me it looks like you are specing a pretty high content vehicle for a “work” truck. Why does one need an SLE All Terrain for a work truck when a well optioned base Sierra has all you need at a much lower cost?

Ironically, just a few weeks ago I helped my buddy that owns a local rural phone company spec a few 2015 Silverado 1500 double cabs, RAM 4500 regular chassis cabs, and a few RAM 3500 pickups for field work. They are basically buying RAM HD diesels for the heavy work and Silverado half tons with SnugTop toppers for the light work (3 of each). They've ran Fords in the past so there was no problem steering them away from Ford products and we both agreed the RAM 1500 was no longer a contender due to the unproven rotary dial electric shift transmission (these trucks are domiciled way out in rural CO and spend most of their time off-road) and the GM 3500 4x4 was not a contender due to the fact they only buy Cummins when it comes to diesel power plus they prefer manual transmissions for the line trucks although one chassis cab was ordered with an Aisin automatic. The Silverado 1500 spec was a pretty well optioned Victory Red WT1 (V8, Convenience package, trailering, brake controller, spray in liner, LED bed lighting, manual tow mirrors, and 4G LTE) whereas their RAMs were the basic equivalent in Tradesman trim with Flame Red paint. Even their top forman drives the same basic WT1 Silverado as the worker bees.

Your question on the transfercase is straight forward. The real deal hold in your hand dirt reliable floor shifter is standard on base model Sierra's (Silverado WT1 and WT2 in Chevy speak) whereas the electric Auto-crap transfercase is standard on SLT and SLE models (Chevy LT and LTZ). These days everybody continues to overlook base model Sierra's and Silverado WT's because they think they are totally bare bone trucks when in reality those models actually have more option content than SLE (and LS) models had not even 10 years ago. Same with RAM Tradesman, it has the same, if not more, option content than an older SLT.

I`m also looking at updating my daily driver this next year to a 2015 Silverado 1500 as well. I'm looking at ordering the same Silverado 1500 I helped RTC with which is a well optioned Silverado WT1 4x4 crew standard box even down to the vinyl interior (Domestic truck “leather” is just pleather anyway with 90% vinyl and I'll add my own seat heaters) but with carpet. That truck has more option content than my 2001 Silverado LS and with the WT models you get a reliable means of shifting the transfercase and the MSRP comes it at $39,000 which with a GM discount should bring it down to low thirties and probably even less depending what incentives are available then (I suspect aggressive incentives from GM the minute the new F150 hits the lots). It's a tough nut to swallow when thinking of buying a truck with a $50,000+ MSRP although the Silverado LTZ Z71 with a 6.2L looks awfully tempting until you see that price tag and monthly payment. I won't rule out a LTZ Z71 for me, but for now I have my heart set on a WT1.

Your “work” truck spec looks good for you, but it is not what I would spec for a work truck.

sargeek

Adventurer
Follow-up

Larry - you help put this into perspective. It will essentially be my company car that I get the privilege to operate for the company. As for a "work" truck, I get your point, it is really not a hard core 24/7 work truck. It will be a 4x4 town and country vehicle that gets me to the locations to supervise the people who do the real work.

It appears that I will have the chance to go GMC truck shopping, and get the most bang for the buck. My current work truck is 08 Chevy Silverado SLE. I will have to admit that I have gotten spoiled with the remote start and some of the other bells & whistles but I do need a truck with a transfer case, and the ability to tow loaded tandem axle trailers and operate in the snow & mud on semi-remote two tracks.

What I hate about the current truck:
1) It's a GM: Soft mushy ride, low ground clearance.
2) The extended cab is a PITA; stupid suicide doors are a joke.
3) Low axle gearing to try and get some additional fuel mileage.
4) 18' rims are terrible, BFG A/T is the only LT made for that rim, and runs $265 each
5) Cannot run tire chains

Must have items:
Crew Cab, 4x4 w/ low range transfer case, integrated brake controller for trailers.

The feed back I am looking for is:
Skip the all terrain package - waste of money or money well spent.
Max Trailering Package - is what they used to call the "heavy half" is money well spent for the over sized running gear or is it overpriced marketing gimmicks that do not provide any real value.
Stay away from package XYZ

The list was a dream list on paper (computer) and after browsing current inventories no one combines all my favorite packages, so I want to narrow them down. People on this board are way more familiar with GM Product Line, and can make some solid recommendations.Look for this and run from that!

binrat

Observer
My thoughts as I have a 2012 GMC Sierra 1500.
Skip the all terrain package - waste of money or money well spent. - Yes
Max Trailering Package - is what they used to call the "heavy half" is money well spent for the over sized running gear or is it overpriced marketing gimmicks that do not provide any real value. - Keep

duckhunter71

Adventurer
Larry - you help put this into perspective. It will essentially be my company car that I get the privilege to operate for the company. As for a "work" truck, I get your point, it is really not a hard core 24/7 work truck. It will be a 4x4 town and country vehicle that gets me to the locations to supervise the people who do the real work.

It appears that I will have the chance to go GMC truck shopping, and get the most bang for the buck. My current work truck is 08 Chevy Silverado SLE. I will have to admit that I have gotten spoiled with the remote start and some of the other bells & whistles but I do need a truck with a transfer case, and the ability to tow loaded tandem axle trailers and operate in the snow & mud on semi-remote two tracks.

What I hate about the current truck:
1) It's a GM: Soft mushy ride, low ground clearance.
2) The extended cab is a PITA; stupid suicide doors are a joke.
3) Low axle gearing to try and get some additional fuel mileage.
4) 18' rims are terrible, BFG A/T is the only LT made for that rim, and runs $265 each
5) Cannot run tire chains

Must have items:
Crew Cab, 4x4 w/ low range transfer case, integrated brake controller for trailers.

Skip the all terrain package - waste of money or money well spent.
Max Trailering Package - is what they used to call the "heavy half" is money well spent for the over sized running gear or is it overpriced marketing gimmicks that do not provide any real value.
Stay away from package XYZ

The list was a dream list on paper (computer) and after browsing current inventories no one combines all my favorite packages, so I want to narrow them down. People on this board are way more familiar with GM Product Line, and can make some solid recommendations.Look for this and run from that!

2) The new K2XX trucks do not have suicide doors on the extended cab. They're front-hinged a la Dodge/Ram, just shorter than on the crew cab.
4) Cooper offers 18" tires in LT flavor, specifically the Discoverer A/T3. I'm sure their other varieties of tires are available in LT rating as well.

I wouldn't benchmark your 2008 as a prime example of GM trucks. I grew up in a GM family and can contest that the 2007-2013 trucks are among the worst they've ever built quality-wise. The new ones are considerably more solid and refined and it seems like their low stance has been addressed to some extent, they don't seem near as squatty as in years past.

-Also - the heavy half truck (1500HD) was offered on the GMT-800 body style (1999-2007 Classic) beginning in 2001. It was essentially a stretched 2500 light duty chassis that had 8 lug wheels, the 3/4 ton axles, and the 6.0L V8.
-The Max Tow package's greatest benefit is the 3.73 rear axle as it is not available in any other configuration of GM half ton truck. Most everything else would be available with the Z71 package.

Let us know what you end up with!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I wouldn't benchmark your 2008 as a prime example of GM trucks. I grew up in a GM family and can contest that the 2007-2013 trucks are among the worst they've ever built quality-wise. The new ones are considerably more solid and refined and it seems like their low stance has been addressed to some extent, they don't seem near as squatty as in years past

I agree with everything you just said, especially the GMT900’s being the worst GM trucks of all time. Nothing wrong with the chassis or engines, heck...the 1500 series chassis under the K2XX trucks is essentially the same as the GMT900's but the body quality was horrendous. Just as an example, every GMT900 you see have the front inner fenders falling down in plain sight, body side moldings peeling off, obvious body stamp divots in the doors and bedsides, etc. The stupid trucks didn't even have rocker panels below the bottom door edge where the doors rust like crazy in the rust belt. The new K2XX trucks have address all of those issues. I'm a huge fan of the new K2XX trucks! Even as a GM guy, the new K2's are the first new GM trucks I've wanted to buy since 2001/2002. 2003 (2003-2006 ugly face) to 2013 (2006 to 2013 crap bodies) were some dark years for Chevrolet trucks.

sargeek

Adventurer
truck

So I am not crazy - they cannot get the body molding to stick to the side of the truck. I have had one fall off the passenger side and the company paid to put it back on. It has fallen off an three more times at the dealer expense.

The 2008 has been overall pretty reliable with 130k on it. It has been forced to be overloaded a couple of time, and not failed. I have come to accept the fact that most vehicles in the future will not have a manual transmission, or transfer case shiftier. I can also appreciate the "AUTO" setting on the truck for street driving in Colorado winters. The highways and main streets are clear and dry, but the side streets can go from slush, ice, had pack, unpacked snow, and pavement in a block.

Also looking for additional feed back on options. If I can get it OEM no one thinks twice about it, but try and put something aftermarket on it and it's 20,000 questions.

I was working for a different company in 06 and we purchased a 3500 for use as a plow/work truck. OMG the thing was terrible. When you picked up the blade, front of the truck dropped 4". The plow frame must have been only 3" off the ground.It had the GM plow package on it, but it still was terrible. Finally put some Timbren load assist/bump stops on the front. It help but the truck had low clearance.

My impressions of GM vehicles is they are a "Cowboy Cadillac" - The trucks are the king of the highway. If you want a truck that can pull a decent trailer, and spend 12-14 hours in the driver's seat this is the vehicle to own. Add four wheel drive, and you get a decent all weather ride.

If you need a "work" truck, then a Ford or Dodge are better suited. The sit taller, don't sag as much loaded. Both of these brands ride like a truck, stiff when empty, put a 1000# in or on them and they ride perfect.

Question - Where can you find a solid list of GM options and specifications? I would like to get beyond the "official" build it website, and be able to identify options and existing vehicles. I guess a solid VIN decoder?

Thanks for the dump it on the All Terrain Package - any other advise is welcome.

As for the 18' tires - currently run Cooper ATP from Discount Tire P275/65/18 could not find an LT other than the BFG - and it was $60 more per tire. It is a truck, not a sports car, I don't need low profile tires. The 235/85R16 on my Tacoma are respectable and relatively inexpensive. The Coopers seemed to work well through our fist bout of snow this winter, and plowed through the mud well enough.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Question - Where can you find a solid list of GM options and specifications? I would like to get beyond the "official" build it website, and be able to identify options and existing vehicles. I guess a solid VIN decoder?

The Chevrolet website is the best place to identify which options are available with each model and peg group. On the Silverado page go to “Models and Specs”. That is a pretty good list.

You can also look over the actual GM order guide but if you don’t have experience with GM model numbers and know how to read the guide you can get more off track than you are now. My buddy Zoomad75 and I used to live in Detroit and work for GM where we worked extensively with these Order Guides during the launch of the GMT800 Silverado in 1998. Remember “The Truck” campaign? That was a fun time! We were liaisons between the Silverado Brand Team and product order group. We edited many of these Order Guides in our time.

GM Order Guide

duckhunter71

Adventurer
I got this from the Cooper Tire website for the A/T3. It's from the size and spec chart:

SIZES & SPECS

Discoverer A/T3™
Size Service Description UTQG Load Range Sidewall Approved Rim Width Measured Rim Width Section Width Diameter Tread Width Max Load Tread Depth
LT265/70R18 124\121S E OWL 7 - 9 8 10.7 32.64 8.9 3525 16.5
LT275/70R18 125\122S E OWL 7 - 8.5 8 11.1 33.23 8.9 3640 16
LT275/65R18 113\110S C OWL 7.5 - 9.5 8 11.1 32.09 8.9 2535 16
LT275/65R18 123\120S E OWL 7.5 - 9.5 8 11.1 32.09 8.9 3415 16
LT285/65R18 125\122S E OWL 8 - 10 8.5 11.6 32.56 9.41 3640 16
LT325/65R18 127\124R E OWL 9 - 12 9.5 13 34.61 9.41 3860 16.5

free radical

2) The new K2XX trucks do not have suicide doors on the extended cab. They're front-hinged a la Dodge/Ram, just shorter than on the crew cab.
4) Cooper offers 18" tires in LT flavor, specifically the Discoverer A/T3. I'm sure their other varieties of tires are available in LT rating as well.

I wouldn't benchmark your 2008 as a prime example of GM trucks. I grew up in a GM family and can contest that the 2007-2013 trucks are among the worst they've ever built quality-wise. The new ones are considerably more solid and refined and it seems like their low stance has been addressed to some extent, they don't seem near as squatty as in years past.
I have 08 Silverado and only had to fix couple light bulbs in these six years,,still on original brakes too,,pretty dam reliable imo
As for stance it sits way too HIGH for a 2WD..
Had 2000GMC before and put 300K on it with only needing tranny solenoid one engine coil and right ball joint replaced,,very reliable also
Now that one had perfect low stance..and resulting great handling..

Last edited:

binrat

Observer
My 2012 Sierra just finally costed me some money. Upper ball joint went on drivers side at 72k. Other than that just oil changes and some stuff that "I" felt it needed (MBRP cat back exhaust, Airraid cold air kit and PIAA headlights and of course Duratrac tires). I put at least 2 tanks of fuel through it a week right now, so I think it is better than my old 2005 Sierra. I'm liking the new Sierra but limited $$ as I would have to buy 2.

duckhunter71

Adventurer
My 2012 Sierra just finally costed me some money. Upper ball joint went on drivers side at 72k. Other than that just oil changes and some stuff that "I" felt it needed (MBRP cat back exhaust, Airraid cold air kit and PIAA headlights and of course Duratrac tires). I put at least 2 tanks of fuel through it a week right now, so I think it is better than my old 2005 Sierra. I'm liking the new Sierra but limited $$ as I would have to buy 2.

That's pretty common. I had a 2008 Silverado Ext Cab 4x4 that needed the driver's side UBJ replaced at 47k miles. My dad's 2011 Sierra had to have that one replaced at 65k and my 2010 Silverado is probably going to need it within the next 5-10k miles. I'm at 73k right now. Glad you've had good luck so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles