DRAM 2, Dirt Roads Across Maine.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Great write-up and report! Thanks! LOVE the dirt roads of Maine. It is interesting how many times you find a gate where none was marked or other similar road closings etc. I find DeLorme to be the best but still not perfect. And certainly culvert washouts etc aren't updated as often as we might like....but that's understandable. I think you guys handled the obstacles the right way....find the work around and keep the adventure intact! Good for you! Thanks so much for sharing it!

Ripper

Adventurer
Ripper....anything to report on the fate of your rear gears?

SG

Yea sorry about being late with the info. It turned out to be the spider gears, they were smoked. So clearly it wasnt a direct result of this trip. 5 years of offroading and that was the first major failure I had. Id say I had been doing well. I ended up finding a brand new ring/pinion carrier, and a ton of other stuff for a steal on ebay. The Funvee is all back together, and regeared front and rear. It feels like a brand new truck. Now I just need to get the money together for lockers........

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Just a quick update.

DRAM2 was just featured in Issue #7 of OutdoorX4 magazine!

You can buy a single online PDF, or subscribe to see the whole thing. The magazine is great and the subscription is inexpensive, so I'd highly recommend looking into it, for DRAM2 or otherwise.

Many thanks to Will (Ripper) for writing a great article, and for Ralph for taking such fantastic pictures.

SG

TravelsWithRalph

Adventurer
Video #2 DRAM 2014

You may want to turn the sound down for this one. The wind noise is really annoying. As the last of five vehicle we had smooth travel along this snow covered logging road.

TravelsWithRalph

Adventurer
Video #3: DRAM 2014

Here, we have Jon bringing his super capable Nissan Titan through a rocky section with the help of Ryan (AKA ExploringNH) as spotter. Snow on the rocks certainly didn't help much, but we all got through without major damage.

BenHedrick

Adventurer
Just a quick update.

DRAM2 was just featured in Issue #7 of OutdoorX4 magazine!

You can buy a single online PDF, or subscribe to see the whole thing. The magazine is great and the subscription is inexpensive, so I'd highly recommend looking into it, for DRAM2 or otherwise.

Many thanks to Will (Ripper) for writing a great article, and for Ralph for taking such fantastic pictures.

SG

I have a subscription to OutdoorX4 but I don't think I got sent this issue.... Hmmmmmmmm...

Ripper

Adventurer
Ben, It just came out, I havent received it yet either. The digital issue is available now.

BenHedrick

Adventurer
Ben, It just came out, I havent received it yet either. The digital issue is available now.

Ohhhhh, cool. For some reason I thought that it was an October 2014 issue. Cool. Really looking forward to the article. I like OutdoorX4 a lot. Good magazine with lots to read and great photos too.

Thanks, Ben

I read all of this with excitement! Looks like you had a blast, and look forward to trying it again. I want to do something similar here in Nova Scotia with my Subaru buddies. We all have some cool "backyards" that we can link together. Cape Breton has amazing roads all across it. Pretty cool. Thanks for sharing it!

DetroitDarin

Scratching a 10 year Itch
Spence - I tell ya...you are an inspiration and I am a lot jealous but mostly very happy to read about your adventures; Great group you had with you, it seems; Get on over to Michigan and maybe I'd follow along for a bit! :)

Down at the MAOF, someone mentioned this expedition to me so I decided to take a look. After reading Spencer's outstanding trail report, I have to say I'm blown away, not only because it's probably the best overland-related writing I've seen other than Chris Collard and Jonathan Hanson, but also because of the nature of the expedition itself. What I love about this trip is that you guys took some real risks. You really pushed the envelope at a difficult time of year weather-wise, worked together as a team and did some real overlanding in truly remote locations, things I hope to do someday when I'm not running around like a chicken with my head cut off. Bravo!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior