2015 Colorado. Any plans for a review?

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
The only outstanding feature of any of the Hummer H3's that I could think of was the optional 4:1 transfercase. Even at that, it was electric shift so….meh. I'd rather have a Jeep Rubicon. Even being a GM fan, I did not shed one tear when the Hummer brand died. It was a brand GM shouldn't have ever gotten involved with in the first place.

Here is another video from the TFL guys.

superbuickguy

Explorer
The only outstanding feature of any of the Hummer H3's that I could think of was the optional 4:1 transfercase. Even at that, it was electric shift so….meh. I'd rather have a Jeep Rubicon. Even being a GM fan, I did not shed one tear when the Hummer brand died. It was a brand GM shouldn't have ever gotten involved with in the first place.

Here is another video from the TFL guys.

I don't get this - the Rubicon has electric shift too... do I really need to climb under my wife's JK and take a picture for you?

The Hummer was finally GM doing something right - Land Rover and Land Cruisers for decades owned Africa and the outback because they took reliable stuff off their shelves, stuck those parts onto the vehicles then sold the hell out of them... GM did that with the Hummer, nothing on it was ground breaking, but it had 4:1 transfer case, electric lockers front and rear, 33" tires standard (and 35s are done by simply turning the bars up 1" (do that with a jeep... oh wait, those come with 28" tires), they used Avalanche parts in a small frame, added strength to the colorado frame, used a 10" 8.6" rear differential (40 years of reliability there), motors that were developed for longevity (250,000 miles is routine with the I5), 700r4 transmission or Aisin/Warner 5 speeds that Toyota also uses... in short, you were getting a reliable truck. Going up market was stupid, and Bob Lutz was right - it should have been sold and packaged under the GMC brand.... but what kills is that all the other similar size SUVs of the era got worse mileage... of course, those were all foreign made - and it's somehow safe to bash on your fellow Americans - just don't call foreign cars crap... which, Asian cars really are our old tech repackaged as "reliable" and resold to Americans (that is the tech they didn't simply steal), or needlessly complex German crap, and don't get me started on the English.... there is a reason that George Lucas called it the Dark Side... and why English like warm beer - their refrigerators are made by Lucas

Clutch

<---Pass
I had a Tacoma, and I should have known better... Tacoma Washington is not a terribly nice town. It couldn't haul 2 dirt bikes without being on its bump stops, it's car motor had no torque, and I got a vehicle that Toyota had bought back to avoid a lemon designation on it because it had front end vibration problems... the kicker in all that was they kept telling me how reliable Toyotas were... which, my SR5 and 7 FJ40s I had before were.... that line about reliability was the one that lit me up - all cars break. What was worse for the Tacoma was I went from an SR5 that I still miss, it truly was a small truck that could be abused with absolute abandon and it would come back for more... the Tacoma, it couldn't keep itself out of the dealership... So to recap, unreliable, a car with a pickup bed, and arrogant dealership/manufacturer that saddled me with a car that should have been scrapped.

Interesting, mine has 285K miles on it...just now wearing it out...still going though.

Hear you on the stock suspension...it isn't the greatest. Have a mix of Camburg and Old Man Emu on mine.

but back to the colorado - you're arguing that a CJ5 is useless because it can't haul as much as a JK... small trucks really aren't that small - full sized trucks of the 50s are put on S-10 pickup frames.... my little H3 weighs more than my 3/4 ton diesel truck... no kidding, 5200 lbs to 6000 lbs. The days when we go back to simple trucks is going to end in 2016 with the all independent suspension Jeeps... today it must have a/c, air bags, door bars, full ladder frames, long beds, double wall construction and 300 hp. I love listening to people trash on the I5 H3 hummers, but they pause when I point out that the underpowered one, the 2006 gets nearly 20 mpg, the 2007-2010 I5 gets 15-17 (50 more hp), and the H3 alpha (@6000 lbs) gets 11.... I don't care about mileage, I care whether or not I have to walk 10 miles when I can't squeeze my vehicle between two granite walls. I love diesels, not because they get awesome mpg (ask the guys who turned up their 4bts what their mpg is now), but because they have useable torque.

No, not saying the Colorado is useless because it can't haul as much as a full-size.

This guy pretty much nails it...more or less what I have been saying on here.

Love the torque of diesels, not sure if the money spent is worth it though on a small platform like the Colorado, for $40K I can get a 3/4 Ton Cummins...that would be worth it, shoot at $40K+ does fuel economy even matter then?

superbuickguy

Explorer
what will kill it for me is if it requires cow piss additive... the converter causes so much heat that I'd be concerned that I'd have to walk out (or run) because my truck burned itself and the forest down.

those things will be excellent with some 35s or 37s under it.... lose that stupid air dam

Have I mentioned I've developed a turbo system for that 3.6VVT motor? :D 500 hp and 25 mpg

Clutch

<---Pass
what will kill it for me is if it requires cow piss additive... the converter causes so much heat that I'd be concerned that I'd have to walk out (or run) because my truck burned itself and the forest down.

That and among other things, yeah not too excited about the new gen diesels. Good torque and decent mileage (ie Ram Eco) and that is about it.

I was having high hopes for the Colorado, a bit disappointed...might as well get a fullsize.

mikeJKUR

Adventurer
Haven't paid a attention to the HT3...what features do you like?

The front and rear lockers is a big one. Nissan and Toyota have been doing rear lockers for over 10 years but the HT3 was the first and only to do a front. The bed tie down system was a great. The only other company that has a better on is Nissan. The different bed assessors that worked with the tie down system were cool too. I don't understand why there is not one in the Colorado. I think there was low gear transfer case, v8, and 33's.

Now things I didn't like, the torsion bar suspension in the front. When first saw it I immediate thought it was outdate compared to the coilover suspension that is on the Nissan and Toyota. For me I love a compact truck ( like a gen1 Taco, or Ranger ) so all the mid size truck feel a little to big for me. The HT3 had the longer wheel base and longer bed compared to the other two.

Clutch

<---Pass
The front and rear lockers is a big one. Nissan and Toyota have been doing rear lockers for over 10 years but the HT3 was the first and only to do a front. The bed tie down system was a great. The only other company that has a better on is Nissan. The different bed assessors that worked with the tie down system were cool too. I don't understand why there is not one in the Colorado. I think there was low gear transfer case, v8, and 33's.

Thanks

Now things I didn't like, the torsion bar suspension in the front. When first saw it I immediate thought it was outdate compared to the coilover suspension that is on the Nissan and Toyota. For me I love a compact truck ( like a gen1 Taco, or Ranger ) so all the mid size truck feel a little to big for me. The HT3 had the longer wheel base and longer bed compared to the other two.

Perhaps that is the "problem", no one is offering a true compact anymore...with these midsizes being so close in size, specs, and price to a 1/2 ton...it is hard to see the value of them. Not that I don't like them, just looking at what you get for roughly the same money. Perhaps if a manufacture went back to the true compact, we would see stellar fuel economy.

Last edited:

superbuickguy

Explorer

what is an HT3? there's a H3T - the pickup version of the H3... as for lockers, you could get front/rear lockers in any H3 2009 up (2011 was the last year). You can retro-fit the e-locker to the front of a 2008 Alpha, or, after you break your aluminum case front differential, put a cast-iron front differential in any H3... even today (for as long as there is stock) you can buy an entire cast-iron front differential assembly brand new (with the e-locker) for ~1,500.

The HT3 had the longer wheel base and longer bed compared to the other two.

This is the sort of thing that drives me nuts when going with the local Toyota club. If you check the specs of a similarly equipped Tacoma it's actually 4" longer than a H3T.

It seems there are all sorts of weird unexplainable misconceptions when it comes to the line of Hummers.

Sent from handheld smoke signal device

tweenerlj

Adventurer
I went and sat in a couple. At 6'5", the headrest sticks out and hits me right between the shoulder blades even at the highest setting. Fix that, then I'll have a closer look.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
This is the sort of thing that drives me nuts when going with the local Toyota club. If you check the specs of a similarly equipped Tacoma it's actually 4" longer than a H3T.

It seems there are all sorts of weird unexplainable misconceptions when it comes to the line of Hummers.

Sent from handheld smoke signal device

I think you guys are right, there are a lot of misconceptions of the H3 and specifically the HT3. With it only being a 2 year vehicle there weren’t many out there for a lot of guys to look over to really appreciate them. For some reason Hummer is a brand that is easy to hate probably because of the bling bling 22" spinner wheel rapper rig H2 stereotype. I am guilty of that myself. After the H2 was introduced I viewed the Hummer brand as just another Cadillac Escalade. I might even harbor some bad feelings towards GM (and the Federal Government) how they saddled many of dealers into building expensive Quonset Hut dealership then in the blink of the eye slam the doors on them. Many dealers were still under construction at the time of the demise. It is probably not really the vehicle I dislike so much (okay, I may dislike the H2 a little…or a lot) but more of the stereotype that follows the HUMMER brand that I disliked. I had a friend with a H3 5 cylinder. It was a loud gutless wonder even at low altitude in Michigan but the vehicle itself was kind of neat and decent looking too. I would love to drive an Alpha with a 5.3L.

After all of the talk of the HT3 in this thread I went out trolling the depts of the internet and researched them last night. You know, they are pretty cool rigs. Wish I could see one in person someday. Not a fan of electric shift 4x4 or torsion bar front suspension but the rest of the package was really neat like the bed storage and what not. I actually had no idea the Adventure Package included rear and FRONT lockers. I guess I disliked the brand so much back in the day I paid no attention to them plus I never figured GM would have the gonads to actually offer something with a front lockers with IFS. I could see how those familiar with the HT3 can say they wish there was more HT3 in the new Colorado. I see your point now after spending an evening reading up on them. HT3 is a misunderstood truck. Sad they had to die. I'm still more sad Pontiac had to die at the same time too. Sniff, sniff

Clutch

<---Pass
I think you guys are right, there are a lot of misconceptions of the H3 and specifically the HT3. With it only being a 2 year vehicle there weren't many out there for a lot of guys to look over to really appreciate them. For some reason Hummer is a brand that is easy to hate probably because of the bling bling 22" spinner wheel rapper rig H2 stereotype. I am guilty of that myself. After the H2 was introduced I viewed the Hummer brand as just another Cadillac Escalade. I might even harbor some bad feelings towards GM (and the Federal Government) how they saddled many of dealers into building expensive Quonset Hut dealership then in the blink of the eye slam the doors on them. Many dealers were still under construction at the time of the demise. It is probably not really the vehicle I dislike so much (okay, I may dislike the H2 a little&#8230;or a lot) but more of the stereotype that follows the HUMMER brand that I disliked. I had a friend with a H3 5 cylinder. It was a loud gutless wonder even at low altitude in Michigan but the vehicle itself was kind of neat and decent looking too. I would love to drive an Alpha with a 5.3L.

After all of the talk of the HT3 in this thread I went out trolling the depts of the internet and researched them last night. You know, they are pretty cool rigs. Wish I could see one in person someday. Not a fan of electric shift 4x4 or torsion bar front suspension but the rest of the package was really neat like the bed storage and what not. I actually had no idea the Adventure Package included rear and FRONT lockers. I guess I disliked the brand so much back in the day I paid no attention to them plus I never figured GM would have the gonads to actually offer something with a front lockers with IFS. I could see how those familiar with the HT3 can say they wish there was more HT3 in the new Colorado. I see your point now after spending an evening reading up on them. HT3 is a misunderstood truck. Sad they had to die. I'm still more sad Pontiac had to die at the same time too. Sniff, sniff

Pretty much the same sentiments here, never paid too much attention the HT3, they sound not too bad

...too bad about Pontiac...not much of a car guy though. About the only thing they had that was somewhat exciting was the G8...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94