2015 Colorado. Any plans for a review?

Viggen

Just here...
Went to the stealership over Vets Day and took a look at one. Looks great, drove great, good clearance, good spec with locking Dana rear. Seemingly miles ahead of a comparable Tacoma, which feels like a cheap, 15 year old truck new off the showroom floor. Will any Expo people do a review any time soon or is that not going to happen because it is not a Toyota or a Jeep... :snorkel:

Looking for impressions beyond the street biased overview that the typical auto rags do. If one already exists, did I miss it?

michael_l

Observer
I too am thinking the same things. Saw one review posted over on coloradofans by a journalist who snaked one at sema for a half hour of dirt tracks, looked pretty fun.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Not a true off-road review but something to hold you over until the media gets them dirty.

I was finally able to drive a crew cab long bed Z71 a couple weeks ago. All in all, it is a pretty impressive little truck. The only things that I found annoying were the fact the engine is very powertrain protected with torque management. At this altitude is was not quick to get out of the hole one bit whereas the same engine in our 2014 Impala will lay down a front tire fire when the traction control is turned off. The DI 3.6L has gonads, they are just corralled up pretty tight for jackrabbit starts in the Colorado platform. That is probably not something people that are used to driving underpowered Tacomas and Frontiers, or Subaru if you will, would even notice.

The second annoyance was the engine noise. The 3.6L in our Impala is quiet with respect to induction noise whereas the same engine in the Colorado sounds LOUD just like the pathetic little 5 cylinder in the past Colorado. GM could have done a bit better job insulating the engine noise from the cabin but that is just me. With the radio on the induction noise may not even be noticeable.

I’m still partial to the appearance of the thing. The side view with the upward sweeping belt line just looks odd like a child’s toy. Outside of that, GM seems to have a solid winner on their hands. For the money, I'd rather have a Silverado.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
It's pretty interesting and I'm glad they made it. It looks like a honda ridgeline, so I'd probably choose the gmc.

Viggen

Just here...
I like the GMC version slightly more with the exception of the chrome. To be a GMC, management must issue a chrome quota.

The motors are powerful and pretty proven. The transmission was nicely suited to it. There was a good amount of room inside. It has something like a 7k pound tow rating. Seems to me like the perfect alternative to an old tech Tacoma for the same money. I like the Sierra but cannot get over how HUGE they have become. It is almost ridiculous how big trucks have gotten in this arms race between Ford, GM, Dodge, and Toyota (yes, I left out Nissan because, well, who cares).

Clutch

<---Pass
For the money, I'd rather have a Silverado.

Mpg's are too close to the Silvy....maybe if it fetched in the high 20's...I would get off the couch.

On another forum, talked to a guy who said he works for a product focus group or some such thing, can't exactly remember...told me that the Colorado's target market is the Subaru crowd, which seemed odd to me, then again it is a lifestyle truck...if you think of it that way, it kinda makes sense. I would think it would have to get much better fuel consumption.

Have you heard that, Larry?

It's pretty interesting and I'm glad they made it. It looks like a honda ridgeline, so I'd probably choose the gmc.

Ridgeline is supposed to be all new in 2016, from the sketches it looks more truck like.

http://automobiles.honda.com/new-ridgeline/

Honda does have a couple diesel engines too...will the new Ridgeline get one??? hmmm...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/honda-cr-v-22-i-cdti-ex-road-test-review

Seems to me like the perfect alternative to an old tech Tacoma for the same money. I like the Sierra but cannot get over how HUGE they have become. It is almost ridiculous how big trucks have gotten in this arms race between Ford, GM, Dodge, and Toyota (yes, I left out Nissan because, well, who cares).

Yeah...Toyota keeps on draggin' their ******** in the sand with the Tacoma...must of read the business plan of Ford's Econoline...

I dunno, if you use the truck for anything other than a "Lifestyle" truck, the size of the fulls makes sense. Tell you the truth, I am sick of the the size of my Tacoma...great for general running around, but go try and load it with toys such as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, gear and such...it blows. Can't really justify buying a brand new general run around vehicle if it gets poor gas mileage these days. I would toss the Colorado, Tacoma, and Frontier under that blanket. A stripped down $22K AWD Subaru Forester 24/32 mpg makes more sense for that...like OMG, am I GM's target market!?

Diesel is cheaper here than high test during the summer months, the Ram Ecodiesel makes somewhat sense, I can find a RCLB for under $30K...but it is however a Chry product, and the payload is lack luster (a fullsize 1/2 ton truck that doesn't have at least a 2000 lbs pay load, ******, Chry!?)...and who knows how fussy that diesel is going to be when it has 100K on the ODO.

If I was going to get a brand new "small" truck right meow..would pick up a RCSB Silvy or Tundra.

DSC05967.jpg

Last edited:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Mpg's are too close to the Silvy....maybe if it fetched in the high 20's...I would get off the couch.

On another forum, talked to a guy who said he works for a product focus group or some such thing, can't exactly remember...told me that the Colorado's target market is the Subaru crowd, which seemed odd to me, then again it is a lifestyle truck...if you think of it that way, it kinda makes sense. I would think it would have to get much better fuel consumption.

I have not heard that, but I could see how some marketing “car” people would group Subaru’s and midsize trucks into the same category as “life style” vehicles. I see the Colorado/Canyon being a conquest vehicle to do just that…tap into the Tacoma, Frontier, Subaru, Ridgeline and other lifestyle vehicle type customers. I don’t see a large migration of full-size guys running out to trade in their super heavy duty diesel trucks in on a little Colorado/Canyon. You know, people need those big diesel trucks to pull their jet skis to the lake 3 times a year :coffeedrink:

Clutch

<---Pass
I have not heard that, but I could see how some marketing &#8220;car&#8221; people would group Subaru's and midsize trucks into the same category as &#8220;life style&#8221; vehicles. I see the Colorado/Canyon being a conquest vehicle to do just that&#8230;tap into the Tacoma, Frontier, Subaru, Ridgeline and other lifestyle vehicle type customers. I don't see a large migration of full-size guys running out to trade in their super heavy duty diesel trucks in on a little Colorado/Canyon. You know, people need those big diesel trucks to pull their jet skis to the lake 3 times a year :coffeedrink:

Went back and looked at my PM's...he is in an evaluation group in Ann Arbor Michigan, that picks vehicles apart...GM told them about the Suby market share...maybe with their 4 CYL that supposedly gets 27 mpg...guessing that is the 2WD version...so I don't see them stealing anything away from Subaru.

Meh, I am kinda over the midsize truck thing. Think the combo for us is a fuel efficient run around car and a full-size for hauling crap. What is the point of the Colorado, when you can get a Silverado for nearly the same price, and similar mileage? Sure, the Silvy would be the stripped down model...but hey, trucks aren't supposed to tarted up.

A near 30 mpg mid-size might peak my interest again...but now, not impressed.

Viggen

Just here...
I completely understand all of that. My wife has a 2015 Subaru Outback, which she traded her 2012 Outback to get. It is phenomenal in every single way. My daily driver is a 2012 Focus. Running defrost and on the winter regular mix which they have already started to pump out, I am still getting, according to Fuelly, 29 mpg on average. I ride bikes, hike, fly fish, shoot, have a dog and young child, etc... and this, or something like this, I could see myself being happy with.

It had a ~1500 lbs. payload and will tow up to 7k lbs. Would fit perfectly. 17/ 24 is not exactly amazing but people interested in a midsize tuck, are not interested in a fullsize. I borrow my dads 2003 Sierra and it does the job but is a pain in a dense suburban environment like mine. I do not need all the space a full size truck affords.

Littlehouse

Adventurer
Crew cab long box GMC Canyon STARTING at $35k when I build it on the site...no thanks. The base Sierra with the crew cab standard box is $2k LESS right now because of incentives. Move up to SLE trim and you are only $3k more than the Canyon...

Viggen

Just here...
There are incentives on the Colorado as well... It is a GM product. The sticker has NOTHING to do with OTD cost.

DaJudge

Explorer
A fullsize is just too big for what I want. I want something for the occasional run to Home Depot and the Nursery. But also for my offroad adventures. Even the Colorado is pushing the limits when it comes to size. I have had my Cherokee on trails that it barely fit on. I don't want to be limited because my vehicle is too big.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader

Ridgeline is supposed to be all new in 2016, from the sketches it looks more truck like.

http://automobiles.honda.com/new-ridgeline/

Honda does have a couple diesel engines too...will the new Ridgeline get one??? hmmm...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/honda-cr-v-22-i-cdti-ex-road-test-review

Yeah...Toyota keeps on draggin' their ******** in the sand with the Tacoma...must of read the business plan of Ford's Econoline...

I dunno, if you use the truck for anything other than a "Lifestyle" truck, the size of the fulls makes sense. Tell you the truth, I am sick of the the size of my Tacoma...great for general running around, but go try and load it with toys such as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, gear and such...it blows. Can't really justify buying a brand new general run around vehicle if it gets poor gas mileage these days. I would toss the Colorado, Tacoma, and Frontier under that blanket. A stripped down $22K AWD Subaru Forester 24/32 mpg makes more sense for that...like OMG, am I GM's target market!?

Diesel is cheaper here than high test during the summer months, the Ram Ecodiesel makes somewhat sense, I can find a RCLB for under $30K...but it is however a Chry product, and the payload is lack luster (a fullsize 1/2 ton truck that doesn't have at least a 2000 lbs pay load, ******, Chry!?)...and who knows how fussy that diesel is going to be when it has 100K on the ODO.

If I was going to get a brand new "small" truck right meow..would pick up a RCSB Silvy or Tundra.

View attachment 256177

As far as the lifestyle vehicles go, if I could only have one vehicle and didn't need higher ground clearance to get to certain places and needed to tow a boat I would totally rock a Forester, they will easily tow a small trailer with bikes or a snowmobile/ATV loaded up while getting great gas mileage. Plus you can sleep in the back of a Forester quite comfortably from what I hear, and of course more stability on winding roads with rally capability. And after watching that Colorado video posted above I have to say I prefer the styling of the previous body, and you could get it in a V8.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
There are incentives on the Colorado as well... It is a GM product. The sticker has NOTHING to do with OTD cost.

Really? What incentive is that? I see zero incentives on the Colorado other than 3.9% financing for 60 months or $299 monthly lease with $2569 down and that is only applicable to 2wd LTs. Those are hardly incentives. 6 months from now might be a different story but typically brand new products do not have incentives at the new product launch. Once the new F150 starts hitting lots I suspect we'll see more aggressive incentives for the Sily and Colly

Viggen

Just here...
Really? What incentive is that? I see zero incentives on the Colorado other than 3.9% financing for 60 months or $299 monthly lease with $2569 down and that is only applicable to 2wd LTs. Those are hardly incentives. 6 months from now might be a different story but typically brand new products do not have incentives at the new product launch. Once the new F150 starts hitting lots I suspect we'll see more aggressive incentives for the Sily and Colly

True, but when has anyone walked into a Chevy dealer and ever paid anything close to sticker/ online building tool? I know I have never. Even without factory incentives. Dealerships look to move product. In a few months, I am sure that the official incentives will be in. It is hard to compare a Colorado, or any other midsize, to a fullsize Silverado. They are two completely different buyers. People who are interested in a midsize will buy a midsize. People who look at a midsize but end up with a fullsize were always going to end up with a fullsize. People who went in to buy a Tacoma do not leave with a Tundra, and vice versa. There are advantages a midsize offers that a fullsize cannot, and vice versa. I am pretty interested in the Colorado, or a new Ranger. F150s, Sierras, and Silverados do absolutely nothing for me. They offer more drawbacks than advantages.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles