Carrying cases in a JK

daryn1979

Observer
I have three rods I carry with me regularly in my JK: a 4-piece fly rod, a 2-piece medium spinning rod and a 2-piece ultralight rod. The fly rod has a nice tube for storage, but I'm having a helluva time trying to find short tubes for the spinning rods that don't require me to remove the reels. Everything I'm finding are long bags or bulky telescoping tubes- nothing that suits my needs.

I prefer hard cases for my rods- they're not cheap, and I hate knowing that they're sliding around the back of my JK along with other camping gear. I've been considering mounting quick fists to the inside roof of my hard top, but I'm concerned about long-term storage and warping. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

libarata

Expedition Leader
Have you sourced PVC tubing? Most fly fishing stuff I can recall went on the outside of the vehicle.

daryn1979

Observer
I've considered PVC tubing and just cutting a slot to accommodate a reel, then using quickfists to mount it to the inside of the top, but I was wondering if anyone else had an idea that would cover the reels and protect them from sun and dust damage. I suppose I could just pull out the trusty sewing machine and make a cover for the tubes that will also enclose the reels, but if I don't have to reinvent the wheel...

Thanks!

libarata

Expedition Leader
I was figuring that you could purchase a tube large enough to accommodate the reel as attacked. Do you have measurements of the 'thickness' of your rod at the reel?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94