Thoughts about GSI hard anodized camp ovens

Joanne

Adventurer
It turned out alright the first loaf I made. I still did the same time and temp but didn't do it in a dutch oven and used the steaming pan of water. My problem was that I shaped the loaf too long and thin so it made for some small sandwiches. I'm going to start another loaf for the dutch oven tonight and back tomorrow for Thanksgiving, this one will be different because I'm going to substitute a bit of rye.

If the loaf is too long and thin, maybe cut the loaf along the length and made a sub style sandwich.

I'm thinking about baking up some more loaves for Thanksgiving. I have some unexpected company showing up so that might help feed the hungry.

Joanne

Joanne

Adventurer
Ok, I get that the thread has morphed into a bread baking thread but I just stumbled across a web page that shows the correlation between hydration and the crumb structure of the bread. Very good pictures that show the direct effect of hydration.

http://www.artisanbakers.com/crumb.html

I hope that you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving with friends and family.

Giving thanks for all the blessings in my life,
Joanne

java

Expedition Leader
Ok, I get that the thread has morphed into a bread baking thread but I just stumbled across a web page that shows the correlation between hydration and the crumb structure of the bread. Very good pictures that show the direct effect of hydration.

http://www.artisanbakers.com/crumb.html

I hope that you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving with friends and family.

Giving thanks for all the blessings in my life,
Joanne

Oh very good. Ill try a bit more water next time.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
If the loaf is too long and thin, maybe cut the loaf along the length and made a sub style sandwich.

It was a little big for subs but it was nice for dipping in some roasted poblano soup that I made.

I made my dough for the loaf with some rye substituted today and it seems a bit denser already, it will be interesting to see how it turns out when its done. I substituted 2/3 cup rye for 2/3 cup all purpose, so a little more than 25% of the total flour. From what I read you can usually substitute up to 50% safely.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I'm just a wee bit excited to dig into this loaf but it has to wait. For some reason it smells extra sour, not sure if it's just the rye or if something went wrong.

image.jpg

Edit: sorry for the sideways pic, stupid iphone.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
It was good, and it didn't last long enough for anyone to have seconds. The crumb was a lot denser than with all AP flour and seemed a bit nuttier flavored also.

java

Expedition Leader
OK I tried on coals last night, and with a quick dough. I only let it rise for a couple hours.

Burnt the bottom, couldn't keep the DO hot enough (it was really cold out!), and it fell. Still was pretty tasty though, a little dense, but the crust was good. I opened the DO too early, and I think that and not hot enough to start with, and that let the dough fall. It looked about the same as the overnight version when it went in.

sad loaf...
15738333919_21831e3e1d_c.jpg

Happier indoor loaf.
15215222253_f6cf07e566_c.jpg

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Practice makes perfect!

Wind and humidity make a huge difference with dutch ovens over coals. There is a thing out there called a volcano grill that you can use a dutch oven inside, I've used one once and it worked really well especially with the insulated cover over the top.

java

Expedition Leader
Practice makes perfect!

Wind and humidity make a huge difference with dutch ovens over coals. There is a thing out there called a volcano grill that you can use a dutch oven inside, I've used one once and it worked really well especially with the insulated cover over the top.

Yeah I learned that I need to make about twice as many coals as I think I will need. I think they burned out quick.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
When it's nasty out I put my GSI DO into the base from my smoker.
Here's my wife guarding our Thanksgiving meal last week as it baked.

039_zps7fd7d8ac.jpg

I baked bread twice over the weekend too and scones; everything perfect. I'll never go back to cast iron for camping.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Yeah I learned that I need to make about twice as many coals as I think I will need. I think they burned out quick.

Get yourself a big charcoal starter chimney and fill it to the brim even if you don't need all of them. For baking bread try prewarming the dutch oven before you drop the loaf in, and take a couple coals from the bottom and plop them on top.

Joanne

Adventurer
OK I tried on coals last night, and with a quick dough. I only let it rise for a couple hours.

Burnt the bottom, couldn't keep the DO hot enough (it was really cold out!), and it fell. Still was pretty tasty though, a little dense, but the crust was good. I opened the DO too early, and I think that and not hot enough to start with, and that let the dough fall. It looked about the same as the overnight version when it went in.

sad loaf...

Happier indoor loaf.

Wow, some pretty difficult conditions for a first try outdoors. Sounds like you did pretty good considering.

I don't know how you placed your bottom coals, but the most frequent cause of burned food is placing coals under the center of the oven. A ring of coals around the parameter is the best for general cooking and baking. The heat naturally conducts towards the center, so it can become a hot spot especially if coals are placed there. The same thing is true on the lid, but the effect is less. A ring around the outer rim provides good heat.

Preheating the entire oven is the best option, but if you are using your oven to raise your dough (I normally do), then just before starting to bake you can throw the coals on the lid to pre-heat it. You can start baking once your lid is good and hot.

s5ffo5.jpg

Joanne

java

Expedition Leader
I lit all the coals in a pile on the lid of the DO. Coals were around the outside on the bottom, but I got frustrated at the end with it not getting hot and piled coals on the bottom and lid and just lit them. Might have had something to do with the burnt bottom ☺I'll try again, it was a good try, and still edible!

Honu

lost on the mainland
glad you finally got a set of these I know you had been curious :)

as I say for off roading camping where weight is some concern I love love love love ours still lots to learn though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94