LR3 Navigation Question

Jwestpro

Explorer
Some of the aftermarket units that fit nicely in the slot would be a much better option.

my iphone 6 is almost as big but i imagine an iphone 6 plus would be great mounted there ;) There are some mapping apps that should still work when there's no cell tower signal using only gps.

onslowb

Thanks for the responses. Really helpful. I am looking for one as a third car when I need more than 4 seats (kids + friends or family members) and to explore a little off road. I have some experience with VW Syncro's and have been up to Hollister Hills and a few other places. I'd like to do the Mojave Trail and similar routes with the family. I'm looking at prices around $12K. I will maintain it and do most repairs. I'm not a mechanic but have rebuilt and swapped engines. I am looking at a few today and now have some idea what to look for but it seems like good history and the IID tool would make me happier than nav and locker.

GORM

Adventurer
Note, lots of NAV units will be on HSEs that will also have 19" wheels. Any amount of research here will yield many comments about the crappy choices for that wheel size. Unless you were already planning on swapping out for rims and getting new tires make sure you think about wheel size in your quest. I wish I would have gotten 18" wheels and gone without the NAV, I have iPad with excellent mapping software for $20 - way cheaper than new wheels.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
How many LR3s have actually ended up in a situation where having a rear locker would have saved them? Their traction control is very capable and with good tires 99% of LR3 owners would never need a rear locker.

That's a great question. I did a lot of testing back and forth, and the answer, in my experience, is Never. However, it does make it easier to get through certain obstacles. A little less velocity, a little less momentum, a little less vigor, a little less drama. Having a locker, just like in a traditional vehicle, is easier on the trail and vehicle. But at no time was I unable to accomplish an obstacle on traction control only.

perkj

Explorer
That's a great question. I did a lot of testing back and forth, and the answer, in my experience, is Never. However, it does make it easier to get through certain obstacles. A little less velocity, a little less momentum, a little less vigor, a little less drama. Having a locker, just like in a traditional vehicle, is easier on the trail and vehicle. But at no time was I unable to accomplish an obstacle on traction control only.

Like I said the one time you do end up needing it you'll be glad you have it. I agree 99.9% of the time you won't need it and likely never may need it. Its like a winch, rarely used but invaluable when needed. I personally put the HD package as an absolute on list along with black interior, nav, heated seats/winter package, very low miles, impeccable service history, arm rest cooler, and color narrowed to only white, silver or grey. was able to find mine within 47 days on the used market and at a great price to boot and it even included the LUX package. It took daily searching and many calls to the dealership to determine whether a certain VIN had the HD package or not. Had many opportunities to jump on other very nice LR3s that didn't quite have everything I wanted and almost jumped on a couple of them (including one that had everything but was a black exterior), but in the end I was very glad I held out for exactly what I wanted.

zelatore

Explorer
First, my rig. '07 HSE with HD. I think it literally has every option available with the exception of headrest video screens (if those were factory options).

I find the rear locker engages OFTEN. OK, maybe not when out driving a fire road but if you get into more serious rocks ... and I'm not saying Rubicon levels of rocks, but heading that direction ... the locker will be active A LOT. And yes, I've gotten myself into spots (intentionally) where even the stock rear/center lockers were not enough and I had to break out the high-lift to get off a rock. Had I had a front locker, I could likely have continued without the extra-vehicular activities.

When you're using your armor and actually sliding along that slider with a tire in the air, you'll be glad you have a locker even it it's only the rear. And let's face it, these trucks are never going to have massive clearance and articulation so you can expect to get good use out of your armor.

I agree that ARBs front and rear would be the most capable, but the costs would be substantial and for milder wheeling or snowy roads they wouldn't work as well as the stock HD's variable locking rear. Of course, in most of those situations the standard TC would likely be adequate.

You need to weigh how you'll use the truck. Fire roads and more 'expo' type use and the TC alone should be fine. Want to push it harder and play in the rocks more? Get the HD. Want to REALLY push it? Get a pair of ARBs.

It's like the Jeep guys - The Sport (i.e LR3 w/o HD) is plenty for the average wheeler. The Rubi (i.e. LR3 w/HD), with it's full manual lockers, is very capable and can really get out there. But the hard core guys will just buy a low-spec rig because they know they'll build their own gear at a higher spec (i.e LR3 w/ARBs front/rear) than what the Rubi offers so why bother paying for it only to replace it.

As for Nav...I rarely ever use it for nav. Too much of a PITA to enter destinations and it doesn't know traffic conditions, not to mention mine is still stuck in '07 and sometimes tries to route me far out of the way because it doesn't know a new road exists. It does have more fire roads than I would have expected, though just this last weekend I found it was about 1/8-1/4 mile off on it's mapping for a lot of the old logging roads I was on, so it was of limited use. The 4x4 info screen is largely entertainment. I usually turn it on when wheeling, but seldom look at it. I have not tried the off-road nav ... I just use an iPad w/MotionX instead for that and my phone with google maps for on-road nav.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior