LR3 Navigation Question

onslowb

I'm looking at used LR3's and have been reading through threads to learn as much as I can. I do plan on going off road so I know that if I find one with the HD package that is a plus but I can't figure out how important it is to have the factory navigation. I'm not worried about the actual navigation function but more the rest of the info it provides on the 4X4 system. Is it a big deal or should I not worry too much about it. Is there a work around with the IID tool or something else?

Thanks

perkj

Explorer
I think you'll be hard pressed to find an LR3 w/ HD without Navigation already there. I personally find the navigation very useful even off roading as the majority of the trails I go on are fire road that are contained within the maps on the Nav.

onslowb

The three options I decided I want are V8, 7 seater, with navigation. I have been looking at HD as a bonus if it's there because I don't really see many with it here in Los Angeles. If I drop the nav requirement the price goes down and there are more to choose from....many in better shape too. I found one a few weeks ago that had everything but navigation with HD in really good shape with low miles and a good price but passed on it because I was still looking for navigation. Now I'm wondering how useful having the navigation screen is outside of the actual maps. I think you can see 4wd engaging but I don't know how useful that is or what else it does. If I find an LR3 I like with everything but navigation should I pull the trigger or will I kick myself for not getting it. I did find out that it is not something that is easily or cheaply added after the fact so I want to find out what it does before I buy a vehicle.

perkj

Explorer
I personally would be patient and hold out for an HD w/Nav...you'll regret not having that rear locker the day you realize you need it to get out of a bad situation. and like I said, I find the NAv extremely useful for the maps, esp off roading. they are out there just takes more effort and time to find. Extend your range you're looking in too...be willing to drive a day to go get what you want vs settling.

BTW the 4x4 screen is helpful to see when you're bottomed out or over extended on your suspension. you can also add a front and rear camera to the Nav by adding a GVIF interface. I've added both and use them all the time. Front camera is very nice to have when off roading.

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer
No need for the HD option any more with the locking diffs from ARB now readily available. Drop the nav and use an ipad or other nav which can actually be loaded with much more useful maps and also used for everything else.

Again, absolutely no need to "hold out" for one with HD option. Additionally, it isn't hardly ever needed in the first place with how good the terrain control system is without the locker.

Lastly, the ARB air locker is actually better in how you can just choose to have it on BEFORE it's needed, as in, planning ahead. Rather than a computer deciding "oh, maybe now is a good time..."

Much more important would be finding an lr3 with impeccable service history, some warranty, the color combo you want, that sort of thing. The nav option IS nice though even for general driving but my maps aren't even updated since 2007 yet they still have almost all the forest roads and double tracks in the WA state areas I've been.

Jwestpro

Explorer
BTW the 4x4 screen is helpful to see when you're bottomed out or over extended on your suspension. you can also add a front and rear camera to the Nav by adding a GVIF interface. I've added both and use them all the time. Front camera is very nice to have when off roading.

Yes, those are also nice features of the screen interface. The IIDtool showed some functions I saw recently that pertained to plugging in cameras but I do not recall seeing one for the front or more than one. What's the GVIF? Ok, so google says it's "gigabit video interface" Still, how does one use that contraption to provide both front and rear cameras? I would expect the head unit in an lr3 is already set up to receive the rear cam input without too much other equipment...?

Front would be awesome. I sometimes worry about shreading some car parked too close with the Dixon Bates recovery points on the front bumper. On it's own the ARB bumper has friendly rubber vertical "bumpers" so you don't scratch up other cars in town. These Dixon Bates stick out about 3.5" though.

onslowb

Good point about the ARB locker. I knew it had become available but wasn't aware of the computer vs. manual deployment. I'm not worried that much about the maps part of the navigation as that is available stand alone. I was just unsure if there is any "indispensable" benefit I wouldn't get otherwise. Sounds like just the picture of the suspension that shows locker status and articulation? If so then the best condition with 7 seats I can find is what I'll look for, navigation or no navigation.

perkj

Explorer
Have a look at what an ARB locker is going to cost you with installation before opting away from the HD package. Most seller (private and dealer) have no clue what the HD package is let alone what a locker is...and nearly all will have no idea if the LR 3 they are selling has the HD package. Finding a LR3 with HD will likely be near zero overhead cost for the HD package specifically, however an ARB rear locker will set you back a few $$$k's.

Taking into account cost, I personally find it foolish not to hold out for an HD package for anyone wanting to get an LR3 that will be taken off road. The cost savings over an ARB is huge. And you'll be surprised at how quick the computer is to enable the lock on the rear diff....it's also a progressive lock so it'll lock the rear just enough to get the lr3 over whatever it needs to get over. If cost is a factor for you, HD is the route to take over the ARB locker.

Last edited:

perkj

Explorer
Yes, those are also nice features of the screen interface. The IIDtool showed some functions I saw recently that pertained to plugging in cameras but I do not recall seeing one for the front or more than one. What's the GVIF? Ok, so google says it's "gigabit video interface" Still, how does one use that contraption to provide both front and rear cameras? I would expect the head unit in an lr3 is already set up to receive the rear cam input without too much other equipment...?

Front would be awesome. I sometimes worry about shreading some car parked too close with the Dixon Bates recovery points on the front bumper. On it's own the ARB bumper has friendly rubber vertical "bumpers" so you don't scratch up other cars in town. These Dixon Bates stick out about 3.5" though.

GVIF allows for three video inputs to be sent to the Nav screen, with one being triggered from a reverse signal. All three can be selected from the GVIF's video switch button. The gvif plugs in between the nav's DVD unit and the output to the monitor.

The gvif I picked up: http://www.hids4u.co.uk/Land-Rover-...TV-or-Reversing-Camera-on-Sat-Nav-Screen.html

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer
I disagree on the locker issue. The ARB is about $1000 plus a compressor, $300 max for a fast one that could also be used for on board supplemental air. Labor is only few hours according to the shops up here. Considering the rarity of the HD option, it doesn't matter much if it would be nice to find when the other factors are much more important like how it's been taken care of and where.

On top of that, the locker isn;t hardly ever even needed. This is well known. While it IS cool, the system does damn fine without it. The ARB could always be put in later on.

I'd be happy to end up with it if I were buying but wouldn't hesitate one second if the vehicle were just right in all other aspects. You could wait around a year or more if you are being picky on colors. Lastly, if the goal is cheap, then no nav will actually be a cheaper vehicle but like I think you said above, I can't imagine many basic SE without nav got ordered WITH HD. When you start out without a major option, it's likely others will also be missing like heated front and rear seats which my 2nd row passengers do like ;)

Jwestpro

Explorer
I do plan on going off road so I know that if I find one with the HD package that is a plus

"going off road" can mean a wide range of things. You can go quite far into some really nasty stuff without 'needing' the rear locker. The system will still do somewhat of a traction control even without it. I suggest specific research on the forum from people who do use it and from the many who do not have it but still manage to do a hell of a lot with the vehicle.

What's your price range or year range you are considering? You are aware of the expensive repairs that can be required I assume?

t42beal13t

Adventurer
How many LR3s have actually ended up in a situation where having a rear locker would have saved them? Their traction control is very capable and with good tires 99% of LR3 owners would never need a rear locker.

The navigation is nice, especially the function that lets you record your route, but most of the time I used the nav screen as a prop for my iPhone with Google maps since the gps software was very dated.

huskyfargo

Adventurer
My LR3 has the HD package, but the rear locker has rarely, if ever, engaged, and I've been in some very hairy spots. The traction control system has ALWAYS safely dug me out of some messy situations without ever having to use the winch or any other extraction tools.
As far as GPS, I'm on the fence. I like the 4x4 info, but I rarely use the maps anymore. Since they're not making upgrade discs anymore, I've attached a Garmin Nuvi using a proclip setup. I have a 7" Nuvi, and it doesn't block the glove box or interfere with the passenger.
I also continually keep an eye out for audio upgrades, as it would be nice to be able to upgrade the head unit, but I'd still like to keep the 4x4 info.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Agree on the NAV maps and as for back roads here in Canada, the Nav has nothing. It's actually been a bit of a disappointment, except for the offroad features. Some of the aftermarket units that fit nicely in the slot would be a much better option.

DVD

Adventurer
I have an '05 HSE with Nav and HD package. The good news is that I don't think there's typically much of a premium for HD on the used market. Bad news: there are fewer, so it requires more patience. As others have said, it's really very capable with or without - although I don't know about the "without." I have heard it said that the rear locker just makes it a little less dramatic getting through some of the steep / rocky / tough sections.
Re Nav, I sometimes use offroad maps, but it's not my primary navigation. My tablet with ViewRanger app is much better. I use the offroad display more. It's mostly for interest (hm: wonder if the rear locker is engaging?). The only time it's really been helpful was for diagnosing and alerting me to some suspension anomalies, where the height sensor goes wonky and thinks a wheel is down when it's not. The IID tool confirms this, and could provide the same info (in more detail), but I have the old IID display through the dash center, so it would take a while to plug in the unit and drill down to that data.
Re maintenance, knock on wood, but I bought mine used at 90k (with good records and good upkeep) and I've had good results. I've continued preventative maintenance and have done a few fixes myself (replaced a height sensor, replaced both front air suspension shocks when one developed an intermittent leak). There's lots of good DIY procedures on various forums. I think LR3s reliability reputation suffers from sins of previous Land Rovers. Just this past week I was talking to a friend who sold his 03 Range Rover, and he exclaimed that he hated me when I told him about cross country highway trips and multiple overland trips without incident on my '05 with 125k.
Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles