Bumper trimming tool - Jigsaw??

Gravity

Observer
Getting ready to install an Aluminess swingarm and cargo box w/ my existing Reunel bumper. It looks like I'll need to trim about a 1/2"x12" section of the bumper where the swingarm rests.

The tricky part is that the Reunel bumper is constructed w/ approx 1/4" steel plate. If I get some good quality metal specific blades for my JigSaw, will it do the trick?

Thanks

-d

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I dont think a jigsaw is up for the task..... i'd invest in a dozen blades if i tried. But heck, maybe your jigsaw is a monster. Use plenty of cutting fluid.

Best bet would be asking to use someones plasma cutter.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
When complete check out Mcmastercarr for edging material. I found some nice stuff that is really strong and metal re-inforced, but rubber on the outside. It "covers" up my ugly trim job nicely and make its looke smoother! :clapsmile

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
That is a lot of cutting for a jig saw.

For the sake of your sanity, check with a local fabrication shop and see what they will charge for cutting it off for you. They typically charge by the hour for custom work...and that would only take a couple minutes.

Honestly, without seeing it, I would only charge someone in the neighborhood of $10 - $20, assuming there was access, and little prep work. If I knew the guy, I would charge 1/2 that.

outsidr

Adventurer
Plasma cutter or torch would be less athletic, check with a shop or your local tool supply. You can get the gas kit pretty cheap...

WJinTRSC

Adventurer
I agree with the above, but if worst comes to worst, short of having some extra C-4 layin' around, a Sawsall(of any brand name) would be my choice.

Just remember that C-4 goes along way. Use sparingly haha. Of course, a guy at work would just say,"Well, you could always chew it off". This atleast makes the jigsaw start looking more attractive. Good luck! Glad I could offer a bit of help.

travel dodge

Adventurer
what about an angle grinder with cut off wheel, lots of sparks but it cuts almost anything and it fairly cheep and very useful

Clark

Observer
I've done some pretty straight cuts recently with a cut off wheel on a grinder. I've read you can get really nice with a larger cut off wheel on a worm drive saw.

JackW

Explorer
A Bosch jigsaw will do the trick - just go slow and let the blade do the work with some coolant. I use mine for all sorts of rude, ugly stuff where I can't get to the cut with my Bosch Panther (sawzall type reciprocating saw)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94