Thinking about buying a toyota

mclovinal

First I just want to say that I love my Jeep, however I am beginning to think that love just isn't practical enough. So I have started looking on craigslist to get some ideas of what is for sale around here. I am pretty sure I want either a Tacoma or a 4Runner. It will be a daily driver, will have frequent off-road use, and be used for camping/ overlanding. I need something with more space and reliability than my TJ is able to offer now. I am spending more in repair bills than in gas. One advantage of the Toyotas is that they seem to be a fair bit cheaper than the Jeep, so if I sell my Jeep I will have surplus money for Modding the new vehicle.

Now, to the point. Are there specific years or models I should avoid or look for? Will an older model Toyota with high mileage be even less reliable than my Jeep? I am a college student, so I'm not exactly rolling in money or time to be constantly working on a car (despite how fun I find working on them). Would you guys feel confident trusting a late 90's early 2000's Tacoma to go on road trips without significant issues? I suppose what I really want to know is if I am just having "grass is always greener" syndrome, or if a Toyota will actually be a reliability improvement over my Jeep. I know it would be a storage space improvement, but a downgrade in off-road ability. How much money I will be spending on repairs is really the deciding factor.

A lot of these are older than my Jeep, and many with more miles, so you can see why I am curious if they really are that much more dependable. I don't want to trade a truck I love for one I don't with the same problems. I realize I'm probably asking the impossible, for an older, cheaper vehicle to be more reliable than my current one. But Jeeps are sports cars, it is more the spirit and character of them that makes them awesome than their practicality. So maybe it is possible to get a cheaper truck that serves my purposes better.
Some samples of possibilities from craigslist:
http://gadsden.craigslist.org/cto/4761185077.html (< seems to cheap to be true, but if it was (improbably) in good shape, I would certainly have leftover cash for mods... and repairs)

http://bham.craigslist.org/cto/4761534490.html (< seems to be more the normal price, still a little cheaper than Wranglers usually go for. Though it is in a different state, don't really know why it was on the Bimingham Craigslist..)

http://gadsden.craigslist.org/cto/4727897782.html (< has some sort of engine issue, but may be repairable... )

Anyway, I came here for help with this because this community is about the same things I want to be about, and because the people here are usually very nice. That is a rare thing on the internet. Most forums I wouldn't post all this on because I would never get any information, just insults and obscenities. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me. I am willing to be convinced to keep my Jeep too, if anyone wants to do that. I'd rather do that really, sentimentally speaking.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Your first link (03 Tacoma 4x4 for $2350) is a scam. 100% guaranteed. It's not even a very good scam (text describes a double cab while the photo is an extended cab.)

adrstout

Adventurer
I think either a Taco or T4R will be quite reliable even with high mileage as long as its been maintained fairly well.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
What's your budget? Sounds like your plan is to sell the jeep and use the $$ to fund the new purchase, correct? If that's the case, tell us a little about your jeep, that might give us an idea of how much money you'll have to spend.

Around here (CO) a TJ in decent shape will typically bring $3k to $5k or possibly more if it is good shape and has good modifications on it.

"Reliability" is a little more questionable. Assuming you are talking about a vehicle that is > 10 years old and has over 150,000 miles on it, "reliable" is going to be a relative thing.

p nut

butter
Depends on your needs, but I prefer a Tacoma myself, because the truck bed is a big advantage for me. HOWEVER, the used market for Tacoma's and their values are 50-100% higher than 4Runners (around me anyway). I'd look for a used 3rd Gen 4Runner, a 99-00 with a rear locker, and have fun with it. Just make sure the timing belt has been done and regular maintenance performed.

mclovinal

Your first link (03 Tacoma 4x4 for $2350) is a scam. 100% guaranteed. It's not even a very good scam (text describes a double cab while the photo is an extended cab.)

What's your budget? Sounds like your plan is to sell the jeep and use the $$ to fund the new purchase, correct? If that's the case, tell us a little about your jeep, that might give us an idea of how much money you'll have to spend.

Around here (CO) a TJ in decent shape will typically bring $3k to $5k or possibly more if it is good shape and has good modifications on it.

"Reliability" is a little more questionable. Assuming you are talking about a vehicle that is > 10 years old and has over 150,000 miles on it, "reliable" is going to be a relative thing.

That is my plan. It's a 1998 Wrangler TJ with a 2 in Budget Boost, Aussie locker in the front, Smittybilt SRC Roof rack, Tuff Designs rear bumper (They are out of business now, has two jerry can holders behind the spare tire,) BFG km2's, a few other minor mods. I have the back seat, figured i'd put that back in instead of my poor carpentry. They are priced on Craigslist here usually upwards of 8K, many 10k and up. I dunno what they actually go for though. I'm sure it's less than that.

20141022_141724_zpsc17f3cb8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20141022_141924_zpsbca9dc8c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I concur with reliability relativity, is suppose it is a case to case kind of thing.

And I agree that the first is a scam. A guy can wish though, right?

ps: It has a back window again now.

mclovinal

Depends on your needs, but I prefer a Tacoma myself, because the truck bed is a big advantage for me. HOWEVER, the used market for Tacoma's and their values are 50-100% higher than 4Runners (around me anyway). I'd look for a used 3rd Gen 4Runner, a 99-00 with a rear locker, and have fun with it. Just make sure the timing belt has been done and regular maintenance performed.

So something like this but with a locker:
http://bham.craigslist.org/cto/4754328151.html

My sister has a 2001 4Runner that has had some serious trans issues, though it seems like the PO didn't treat it well.

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
Hey bud!!

Finally converting to the dark side, huh?

Be looking at 3rd gen 4runners (96-02) and 1st gen Tacomas (96-04).. If they have been maintained well, then they will be more reliable than your TJ.

Avoid the 3.0 V6 in the 89-95 4Runners & Pickups.

22re pickups are very reliable, but will start to need maintenance as they are getting up in age.

mclovinal

Heres a great resource for 3rd gen 4runner info.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-g...ormational-threads-must-read-new-members.html

Stay away from the 3.0 v6 found in the 1st gen and 2nd gen 4runners. I had one and liked it but many others have head gasket issues.
The 3.0 makes for a cramped engine bay as well, and not fun to work around.

That is a great thread. Thanks! I'll definitely be referring back to that in searching.

And I haven't converted yet, just thinking about it. Haha. My dream is still a JKU Rubicon, but that's so far out of my price range... maybe one day.

I'm a Toyota fan (1972 FJ40 and 2013 Tacoma DCSB) and can attest to their reliability and awesomeness, but I can't help but think that hunting down a 'cheap' Toyota and then doing the mods to get it where you can do the overlanding you want will cost you many times more than just working with the TJ you have and adding a small expedition trailer (some awesome home built off road trailers on this site). Your TJ is nicely kitted out. Add a small off road trailer and it is suddenly practical.

Just a thought - Don't take this as trying to disuade you from Toyota 4x4s. They ROCK. Love both of mine. I'm not sure that finding a 'cheap' Toyota will do what you want.

mclovinal

I'm a Toyota fan (1972 FJ40 and 2013 Tacoma DCSB) and can attest to their reliability and awesomeness, but I can't help but think that hunting down a 'cheap' Toyota and then doing the mods to get it where you can do the overlanding you want will cost you many times more than just working with the TJ you have and adding a small expedition trailer (some awesome home built off road trailers on this site). Your TJ is nicely kitted out. Add a small off road trailer and it is suddenly practical.

Just a thought - Don't take this as trying to disuade you from Toyota 4x4s. They ROCK. Love both of mine. I'm not sure that finding a 'cheap' Toyota will do what you want.
Thanks for that, you may be right. It will likely be a little while before I make a decision either way. Lots of good advice on this thread though, and that will help me make a more logical decision. Maybe it would be better to spend some time and money fixing the issues on my Jeep, rather than learning a knew vehicle. It really isn't that unreliable, I've (knock on wood) never had a breakdown that I couldn't fix on the trail enough to get me home. A trailer is a good idea, I may have to think about that more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior