ARB Air Locker "replica"

duke90

Adventurer
And to clarify mine, that $580 price did not include shipping. May be able to make an offer to the seller though...

And my stuff was for my rover D2

I was seeing if he would give discounts for multiple purchases (i.e. front and rear locker) and he said no. $860 is still a great deal though especially since it includes the switch and compressor

Gator

Adventurer
you tube ARB vs. Yukon zip locker. You pay more for an ARB, but you get way more quality.
Lator.....

marty1977

Adventurer
I dont know if you guys have seen this but if it helps.

Video is from 2009 so suppliers might have changes but be careful what you get guys.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Chances are good that these rolled off the same assembly line as the name brand parts.
Same thing with the led light bars... That's the chance you take when you have your parts manufactured over there.

No, chances are not good ;)

In fact your absolutely wrong on both Air Lockers (Made in Australia) and ARB's LED Intensities (made in USA). Perhaps a bit of due diligence before taking "chances" with our comments in the future :D

Watch the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewt7f-h8Wn4

There isn't just one Chinese factory making copies (in most cases of much older ARB designs) rather there are several... and none of them have likely don't any air locker testing, install or use beyond reverse engineering an old locker design. Buy once, cry once... you get what you pay for.

Ripper

Adventurer

In fact your absolutely wrong on both Air Lockers (Made in Australia) and ARB's LED Intensities (made in USA). Perhaps a bit of due diligence before taking "chances" with our comments in the future :D

There isn't just one Chinese factory making copies (in most cases of much older ARB designs) rather there are several... and none of them have likely don't any air locker testing, install or use beyond reverse engineering an old locker design. Buy once, cry once... you get what you pay for.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I remember seeing the vid and the Chinese knock offs failed at a much lower pressure rate.

The difference in quality between the two is astounding.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
you tube ARB vs. Yukon zip locker. You pay more for an ARB, but you get way more quality.
Lator.....

Zip locker is ARB old design that Yukon bought from them. So your paying for the latest ARB air locker design not just the name.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cruiseroutfit

Zip locker is ARB old design that Yukon bought from them. So your paying for the latest ARB air locker design not just the name...

Old ARB design - check. Yukon bought from them... not so check ;)

But agree, the new ARB designs are big improvements over what were already solid and proven designs. The one-piece cases, better o-ring and sealing, better pistons and better gear sets, etc are all welcome. And the new bulkhead fitting kits that ditch the brass line ferrules... oh baby :D

adventr

Adventurer

Sounds like you have an inside view into all of this. Can you prove your statement?

Videos from either side don't really prove much, as they would be from a biased source.

Only reason that I would be suspect, is that it would take 100s of 1000s of dollars to create all of the tooling to reproduce those parts, plus all of the time spent reverse engineering. And for what? How many are they really going to sell? I mean, there's only 1 seller on ebay with them.

MotoDave

Explorer
When you factor in how much it'll cost to get one of these installed and set up right, I just can't see taking a risk over a few hundred $$. Not to mention whatever ethical issues you have over buying a blatant copy of a product, but I guess that's up to you.

At a previous employer I was told a story that they were thinking of buying castings from China, and went to visit a factory there. When they showed up the factory manager proudly showed them a 100% copy of their product, down to the logo cast in the side of the part. There's not anything they could do to stop it, the Chinese government pretty much laughs at any attempts to enforce patents or trademarks there. Its pretty disappointing to know that you've poured decades of hard work and engineering into a product only to have a crap knockoff company potentially ruin your reputation selling counterfeit copies on the same market.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
China can't be 100% at fault. What about the US government allowing importing goods from china. Oh yea. The US likes $$ to much when they collect the import tax.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Sounds like you have an inside view into all of this. Can you prove your statement?

Videos from either side don't really prove much, as they would be from a biased source.

Only reason that I would be suspect, is that it would take 100s of 1000s of dollars to create all of the tooling to reproduce those parts, plus all of the time spent reverse engineering. And for what? How many are they really going to sell? I mean, there's only 1 seller on ebay with them.

I don't think there is a lot of tooling required, it is all CNC machined. I've also dealt with products from China and I know the "quality" of their metals...

I've bought knockoff products before (cheap LEDs, OBD2 programmers, etc) - there's a time and a place for them. For me, the cost of failure of a locker (and the installation cost) makes it too big a roll-of-the-dice.

I've had an ARB rear locker in my 110 for well over 10 years now and the thing has been absolutely rock solid bulletproof.

IdahoXJ

IdahoXJ
I have a huge problem with the Chinese STEALING designs and selling them for less, but I have an even bigger problem with those who buy stuff like that which undermines the integrity of all products and honest business. Yes, ARB air lockers are expensive, but they last, work as they should and are backed up with integrity. I had a failure in my ARB compressor after years of use. ARB fixed it and sent it back all at no charge.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that we could go through your car and your house and find a dozen examples of things that make your statement ridiculous and hypocritical..you'd be very surprised to find what has been "stolen" by the Chinese and have made a better product..

cruiseroutfit

And which part would you like me to "prove"?

I've personally watched ARB lockers being manufactured in their Kilsyth Australia factory (visited twice) and I can assure you they didn't stage a machine shop and assembly area just to impress me ;). Beyond that, I've met with their locker engineers and discussed their ongoing upgrades including the sway away from the 3-piece housing that is being used by Yukon and others. I've also personally inspected first hand many of the knock-offs at SEMA and elsewhere and been approached by Chinese manufactures about selling their air lockers. Beyond that, we are a Yukon* dealer as well so I was up to speed on their introduction of a Zip locker when that all unfolded. What more do I need to prove beyond the fact your comments were wrong and it's apparent you have an appetite for knock-off goods?

There are several factories in China offering these, and the tooling isn't going to take "100s of 1000s of dollars", hardly. Perhaps a few thousand dollars for a Chinese factory but that is nothing. Again... due diligence my friend. You seemingly lack concept of how inexpensive it is to manufacture something you don't have to design, be it an LED light or an air locker. Again, the designs being offered via China are the older ARB style that has been simply reverse engineered although parts are not necessarily directly interchangeable so if/when you need a spare, let's hope your ebay seller has them lol :D

IMG_1169_zps24715d11.jpg

IMG_1167_zps65b9cf72.jpg

*Yukon isn't shy about saying they are using an older ARB design that involved an expired patent. Read the "Yukon Zip Locker Facts":
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/axles-tires-wheels/792107-yukon-zip-lockers-cheap.html

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz