ARB Air Locker "replica"

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I have a huge problem with the Chinese STEALING designs and selling them for less, but I have an even bigger problem with those who buy stuff like that which undermines the integrity of all products and honest business.

I've got news for you - this happens all over the world not just in China.

When I worked for General Electric we called this the 'fast follow' strategy. Let someone else prove out the market and then leverage our size and brand recognition to swoop in and take the business with a competing product.

Fair? Who ever said business/life was fair. :)

adventr

Adventurer
Don't take anything personally, I was just curious, as were most reading this thread.

I've built vehicles within the past few years that have used NOTHING but name brand parts (lights,winches,lockers,snorkel,bumpers), and have wound up with a $10k rig that has $25k in accessories. Lol
Just exploring options. My current builder is worth about $2k (on a good day, it IS a rover...), so it's hard to justify $1000+ for a lightbar, or even $1100 for a locker. Name brand snorkel was almost $600. I recently bought a knock off for $80 that literally fit BETTER than the last Safari snorkel that I had installed.
Competition is a good thing, and shows what a gigantic margin there is on the name brand parts.

Aside from all of that, I do have a background in manufacturing (just not in China). I know what it costs to have tooling made (and by that I mean Molds for castings), and at least over here in the states, it's not cheap at all. I've had simple plastic parts made, where the tooling cost $150k and the parts were only worth about $10.
So that's why I was suspect. I do know from first hand experience that the Chinese like to purchase used tooling from the US, and then use it to manufacture over there. Since these are the old style lockers, perhaps the Chinese have gotten their hands on it?

And you mention the lights (I assume from the other thread), I still find it really hard to believe that those are "knock offs." It's not an easy process to reverse engineer something like that, and have it come out so nicely.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Don't take anything personally, I was just curious, as were most reading this thread.

I don't take it personally, just interesting to see you continue to stand behind your false logic.

Competition is a good thing, and shows what a gigantic margin there is on the name brand parts.

No, it shows there is a gigantic R&D cost being first to market with a unique product. If your XYZ snorkel came from a unique mold, backed by their own flow testing, longevity testing and supporting a partner economy with engineers instead of tape measures... guess what, it wouldn't be $80 anymore ;)

Aside from all of that, I do have a background in manufacturing (just not in China). I know what it costs to have tooling made (and by that I mean Molds for castings), and at least over here in the states, it's not cheap at all.

You said it best. Apples and oranges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz