Movie on Defender Icarus

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Can we forgive him for calling the land rover a land cruiser in the first couple of minutes..??..2:03 mins..

Better than calling it a "Jeep." Also, I have heard people refer to Land Cruisers as Land Rovers a time or two as well. This guy should know better since he is reviewing it though.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Better than calling it a "Jeep." Also, I have heard people refer to Land Cruisers as Land Rovers a time or two as well. This guy should know better since he is reviewing it though.

When I had a Land Rover, friends and other people called it a Land Cruiser.

Now that I have a Land Cruiser, friends and other people call it a Land Rover, Range Rover, or Jeep.

I don't bother correcting people anymore.

Some friends didn't even realized I switched vehicles.

newhue

Adventurer
Weird how he thinks a 20 year old 70 series Land Cruiser design is modern to a Defender. Leaf pack spring are better, drum rears are better. And overload a LC and it too will drive like crud. I'm guessing he comparing his own LC which no doubt will only have necessary mods compared to a promo vehicle, two very different requirements really. Not a bad review but it's only his view. If LR popped a 3.2 5cyl duratorque in a Defender instead of the 2.2 it would all be very different.
Japan doesn't bother with euro emission standards so going with the V8 has appealed to a lot of land cruiser owners who love to overload them too. Well that's the way it is down here.

ps: what's that thing on the bonnet, storage?

Last edited:

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Weird how he thinks a 20 year old 70 series Land Cruiser design is modern to a Defender. Leaf pack spring are better, drum rears are better. /QUOTE]

Toyota has always been extremely conservative with the Land Cruiser platform. It's a Camry for off road. Land Rover on the other hand introduced full coil long travel suspension way back in 1970 with the Range Rover. It did take the awhile to get it on the workhorse vehicles though.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Too heavy? Really? Can't understand why. Look at all the crap that is bolted to the poor thing. If it were a horse, it would have to be put down!

newhue

Adventurer
Just checking this out again, I think that awning is very very smart. One pole and a huge area is a better option than Hannabal, fox wing, or the super peg I have all put together. It looks however to have the same coverage as a fox wing. Be good to know the weight but I'd imagine around 15kg.
Also think the split roof top and fold up bed platform looks really easy if you like the live in kitchen type thing.

I won't pick ol mates comparison apart, but the way his hanging suff off his land cruiser to copy a Defender, I wonder if his truly honest or has sponsorship obligations.

tacr2man

Adventurer
It never fails to amaze me what utter twaddle people trot out to justify their opinion , they dont even go to the trouble of researching some of the main statements they rely on to justify their opinion . There are so many factual inaccuracies , but then again many current defender buyers dont base their purchase on logic , as shown in the clip by the build ethos of the vendors . JMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior