bad lift?

I just picked up this fj80. its a 91 in good shape but I do question one thing. The lift that it has is blocks welded to the axle and spring perch. keep it or chop it?IMG_20141115_144902625.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
That's nasty! Blocks are never a great idea, especially on the front axle! I'd be looking for a used axle to rebuild, and then swap it in with some OME springs.

On a happier note, congrats on getting an 80 series! Let's see some more pics of your rig!

Last edited:

poriggity

Explorer
Wow.. yeah . Please chop those blocks off the axle... fast, and preferably before you drive it on the street again.

With a lift like this you know there is no caster correct done. It pulls so hard at any crack or snake in the road. I did not think it looked right but I thought it would be good to ask.IMG_20141113_172132723.jpg

zimm

Expedition Leader
well, you cant get axle wrap with a spacer on coil/control arms.

that having been said, that sure was a bunch work to avoid a rather inexpensive spring or even cheaper spacer on top.

I have not gotten to it yet but will be cutting them off and welding the perch back to factory location. Then do OME set up. It looks like most people go to a 16" wheel. I can assume this is from the lack of load ratting from 33" and 35" tires in the 15" range.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have not gotten to it yet but will be cutting them off and welding the perch back to factory location. Then do OME set up. It looks like most people go to a 16" wheel. I can assume this is from the lack of load ratting from 33" and 35" tires in the 15" range.

FF, when you get ready to do the OME stuff, give Kurt (Cruiseroutfit from post above) a call. He is the guy you want to talk to!

NCFJ

Adventurer
Wow, you definitely have a serious issue. I think you are correct with your thoughts on 16" wheels, bigger brakes can also be a benefit as well. You may also consider 17" wheels as well as they are becoming far more popular. Good luck with your truck :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz