My New Build: 1990 3-Door Nissan Patrol, 4.2, Diesel

EricMcGrew

Adventurer
Hey man, I didn't mean the phrase to be against you particularly. I have some people tell me that I am a Brand hater. Which is by no means the truth. I have OME springs on my Trooper. I bought Cooper STMaxx tires, and I try to get Isuzu parts if I can for my Motor. So, I respect and understand the bennefit of a name brand. Still, in some areas, I just don't think the bennefits that the name brand provide are worth the extra money they cost. So, as I mentioned earlier, I really do think each person should way the pros and cons.

When I was in the states, I would use certains brands over others because of warranty and because they provide a particular look consistantly. Since shipping is so dang expensive to Chile, I do less of that kind of buying, but I am still willing to spend for a company with trust worthy customer service, and especially, if they have bullet proof products. For instance, I like to buy from www.summitmachine.com for my flex joints, spacers, bushings and so on. They treat me well and go to lengths to help me get what I need. So, the ext a 5% over bigger stores is worth it. Plus, they turn their own parts and warranty them.

As far as the Patrol goes, man that thing is looking good. It's always nice to see those new shiny parts on a rig. I don't know why, but I'm addicted to new parts. I love how new pieces look on an older/used rig. Very cool!

I don't know how the shops are up there, but I would double check the light install. I've had some unfavorable outcomes with "auto electricians", and had to buy a ticket for a friend to come fix the problem. Hope everything works out good though!

Patrollife

Explorer
No worries! I didn't take your comment personally. And totally agree on the new parts. Can't wait to get the new, shiny shocks and springs on so I can get them dirty! Will post pics of the lights once installed. Hopefully they will be done the right way :)

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Between 1988 and 1994, Ford Australia marketed the Patrol as the Ford Maverick

England or the britanic empire based in the North atlantic ocean

used to use Australia( an island in the south Indian/ pacific and southern oceans) as our penal colony , a home for our worst crimnals and vandals

However we set them loose to fend for themselves a tad before 1988 :)

1901 we gave them freedom from the British Empire

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
well there was no war....no boston tea party....

Just an amicable seperation and own rule awarded...

Still part of the commonwealth today, and still has the Union jack as part of their flag.

if we were'nt still friendly I imagine the first thing they would have done was to burn the flag and invent a new one !

local bridge ....

10.2.08+Another+notice+on+the+bridge+at+Lower+Bockhampton.jpg

EricMcGrew

Adventurer
well there was no war....no boston tea party....

Just an amicable seperation and own rule awarded...

Still part of the commonwealth today, and still has the Union jack as part of their flag.

if we were'nt still friendly I imagine the first thing they would have done was to burn the flag and invent a new one !

local bridge ....

10.2.08+Another+notice+on+the+bridge+at+Lower+Bockhampton.jpg

UK 4x4, I dug into what you were saying about the Terranon being the Maverick, and I found that it seems Ford did in the Uk/Europe and OZ, the same that Daihatsu did with Oz, South America and the states. Daihatsu sold the Fourtrak in Oz and South America as a Rocky. However, in the states they sold the Sportrak/Feroza as a Rocky. Which just cnfueses everything. I don't know why they do that stuff.

So, in other words. You, of course were right, and thanks for planting that question in my mind so that I dug into it more. I don't think I know everything, and I definately want to give out good info. I just have to see some detail on it.

Thanks again!

Patrollife

Explorer
Alright, so after THREE WHOLE WEEKS in the shop the Toyota dealership in Quetzaltenango will finally be done working on the Patrol by Friday - I haven't even driven it for that long! (There's no Nissan dealer in Xela). I stopped by again yesterday to see how things were going and was very impressed with the work. I even had the headlights replaced and PIAA LEDs were working great. I can't wait to get her back and continue the work I've been doing with the interior!

EricMcGrew

Adventurer
I hate when a new vehicle of mine is in the shop, and I'm waiting to get it back. I can only imagine how anxious you are to get it back. Glad to hear the piaa's are working good! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Patrollife

Explorer
Thanks, Eric! But all I have to say today is, DANG IT! The shop called and said my car won't be ready until next week. Apparently the brake fluid is leaking. Time to pay them a visit on my way home.

In other news, I will be heading to the capital tomorrow to put a deposit on some ARB goodies.

Last edited:

Patrollife

Explorer
ARB goodies have been ordered. Only bad news is, they won't get here until around mid February. I anticipate a write-up and pics of the install and new look/performance by the end of February or beginning of March. Let the waiting game begin.

Patrollife

Explorer
After four weeks in the shop and two pages of replacement parts and fluids, the Patrol is finally back in my hands. The PIAA LEDs were also installed. Haven't had a chance to check out their function yet, but I will post pics at the first opportunity.

10846260_1523287207920814_513254200325147014_n.jpg

1477340_1523287194587482_8221696683227836988_n.jpg

Patrollife

Explorer
Thanks! I did some more work today and painted the interior with a Black Primer. Thinking about using truck bed liner for the flooring before I lay down the all weather matting. But am wondering if that might be too much. As I was working on the Patrol I noticed the passenger side tire/wheels stick in more than the driver side. I posted these pics on the Mid Atlantic Overland Society Facebook Group (a bunch of guys I wheel with back home in the States) and we think it might be the offset. The conclusion was for me to remove the wheels and see what the stamping on the inside of the wheels say. The Patrol drives perfectly fine, it doesn't pull to one side or the other, and the chasis lines up flush. Here are the pics. I know it's hard to diagnose over the internet but if you can think of anything else, holler! P.S. I also just noticed the passenger rear side wheel is different, as-is my spare.

DRIVER SIDE (stick out more and same set of wheesl)
10455154_1524493587800176_4324672293049653731_n.jpg

1452349_1524493621133506_1192289928785726792_n.jpg

10882115_1524505207799014_7494051227159661451_n.jpg

... btw, can you tell the difference between the iphone 5 and 6 camera. Night and day.

PASSENGER SIDE (sticks in more and different set of wheels)
10398684_1524493711133497_3060830585938923337_n.jpg

10882186_1524493707800164_1983499730226387925_n.jpg

1004560_1524504694465732_8449708940600091340_n.jpg

EricMcGrew

Adventurer
Thats really strang. All you can really do is check all that has to do with the wheels, hubs, studs, ect. Make sure there's no spacers, that the wheels have the same off-set, and make sure that everything is seating correctly. Still, this is wierd.

I had an offset potion issue with my Daihatsu for a while, but that was due to have done a lift, and the pan-hard (track bar) was pulling the axle to the side. It still drove fine. I just had the rear axle a couple inches further to the left than the front.

Clearly that's not the problem here though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94