Smittybilt RTT anyone seen one or use one

1v6pony

Adventurer
It looks like Smittybilt has an RTT that they reveled at SEMA, did anyone have a chance to really look it over?
Does anyone have any experience with one?
Thanks

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Yup, looks identical to any of the "insert your name here" tent companies that all have the exact same styling/design based off of the older/antiquated models of prominent brands. My 2 cents. I did get some humor out of this when I saw their tents at SEMA.

IMG_2034 (Small).JPG

Thought to be fair they are likely the first to put their logo on that tent... so I guess that is in fact original :sombrero:

java

Expedition Leader
Yup, looks identical to any of the "insert your name here" tent companies that all have the exact same styling/design based off of the older/antiquated models of prominent brands. My 2 cents. I did get some humor out of this when I saw their tents at SEMA.

/snip

Thought to be fair they are likely the first to put their logo on that tent... so I guess that is in fact original :sombrero:

Exactly my thoughts, looks like any of the other chinese made tents. (I will say im happy with my chinese one and have used the poop out of it.)

Ernvil

Exactly my thoughts, looks like any of the other chinese made tents. (I will say im happy with my chinese one and have used the poop out of it.)

In shopping around for a RTT, I came across the Smittybilt and my thoughts were the same as far as the comparisons to some of the other companies. What are your impressions with the one you've been using? Good, bad, somewhere in between? Thanks.

java

Expedition Leader
In shopping around for a RTT, I came across the Smittybilt and my thoughts were the same as far as the comparisons to some of the other companies. What are your impressions with the one you've been using? Good, bad, somewhere in between? Thanks.

Problems are: Mattress sucked, Stitching on the bungees that pull the fabric together when folding pulled out on a couple of the bungees, velcro used on the closure straps is weak (after a few years use), screws on the tent poles have rattles out, and the poles will sometimes come out o the socket, I just haven't taken the time to deal with that, just needs some threadlock and a new screw. Hinges tear the flaps that cover the opening there a bit. The changing room is not very water tight (im talking crazy thunderstorms here, not light rain) But the tent fabric (canvas, different that changing room) has held up quite well, is still very water resistant. The changing room has torn a bit in one corner where it meets the piping that connected it to the tent base. But my dogs lean on the walls down there, and it hasn't been an issue, works fine still.

We use the crap out of it, camp almost every weekend over the summer, It was one of the first tents CVT imported, I replaced the travel cover this year, the old one had some pinholes. Im still happy to open it up and sleep in it! I would buy another of the chinese tents again if I was in the market, I do like the look of the "ruggedized" Tetupi ones, the extra sized fly would be a bonus in the PNW.

Mine has special meaning and ill use it until its completely done.

15200865550_d05e5980eb_c.jpg

Ernvil

Great feedback, thank you. I don't mind paying a premium if the quality is that much better, but for my purposes, I think a Chinese would suffice. Much appreciated.

BCzuk

Observer
It looks to be the around the same price as the other small entry level tents but only has a one year warranty

surferdude78

Observer
I'd definitely check out Tepui's Ruggedized line of tents, if I were you. I got the their Kukenam standard model after having considered the more expensive African brands & couldn't be happier with my decision.

Ernvil

I'd definitely check out Tepui's Ruggedized line of tents, if I were you. I got the their Kukenam standard model after having considered the more expensive African brands & couldn't be happier with my decision.

Definitely on the short list.

captwoody

Adventurer
yes i own a smittybuilt

I mounted an Smittybuilt overlander on my adventure trailer and these are my impressions. Rain fly traps water you have to push from underneath to empty but it did not leak onto tent. After 2 days of rain corner of mattress was moist, still dry enough to sleep on but corners were damp, Holes in skirt for tension rods off center putting stress on fabric. so I will reseal seams of tent. and add condensation mat. to use a truck analogy its a stock F150 gets the job done with no bells and whistles.But at $719.00 with 4wheel parts discount hard to beat
IMG_20141206_140359730[1].jpgIMG_20141206_145647790_HDR[1].jpgIMG_20141206_140346076_HDR[1].jpg

captwoody

Adventurer
Took Smittybuilt out for shakedown run and found the following(1) top corners were its gusseted for support bars you can see daylight were its stitched-needs to be sealed.(2)small tear in ripstop were fabric was sewn in corner on seam, probably were moisture got in. needs to be patched and sealed.(3) none of the seams are taped so they all need to be weatherproofed .(4)Appears no quality control prior to leaving factory so lots of little finish items to square away. Nothing insurmountable but you get what you pay for. pluses its bigger than most entry tents,did pretty good in 20 mph wind. And if you are handy you can save about 400 bucs over similar sized quality Chinese tent

1v6pony

Adventurer
Captwoody, Thanks for the review and update, Sounds like I will wait and find a good used RTT.
thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz