Where do you put the kids?

JMacs

Observer
As I contemplate what I want to build, I want to know what you do with the kids during the trip. I want to build a camper on the back of a cab over (an old ford C800 would put a big smile on my face). Letting the kid ride in the back if we had a walk through doesn't seem like it would raise any eyebrows. But if the camper was isolated from the cab, it seems like people would have a problem with that. I don't think the construction of a walk through is that much stronger.

Yes, I know the C800 would not be a good choice for a base for many reasons, but I think they look cool. Practicality will probably win out. But that is irrelevant to the question at hand.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
55072_small.jpg

JMacs

Observer
Something about the old cab overs I just really dig. But I was thinking the box would be more of a Unicat / GXV Pangea LT. Or like the 'Unimog witha FliPac'. (Put that into a search and you will go to a Mercedes forum. I seem to be having some issues posting on this one.)

If I win the lottery, it would have a Wrightspeed Route power train conversion. Battery and generators become one with the entire vehicle. After a few technical details get worked out. :)

JMacs

Observer
So, back to the question that sated it all, does no one travel with their 8 year old? Starting from Nebraska, any camping generally starts with a minimum of a 6 hour drive. Having her sit between the wife and I for that long might not be that good for anyone involved.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
So, back to the question that sated it all, does no one travel with their 8 year old? Starting from Nebraska, any camping generally starts with a minimum of a 6 hour drive. Having her sit between the wife and I for that long might not be that good for anyone involved.

I think you are going to end up needing a larger cab.

bahndo

Supporting Sponsor: Bahn Camper Works
Two words- Crew Cab.... Unless you build a true "motorhome" having anyone ride in the back is a bad idea and not legal in the US. When I was a teenager driving cross country for kayaking trips and competitions we used to ride in the back of a pickup with a shell to sleep between driving shifts. We all survived and never got arrested/ticketed but then again there were plenty of things we got away with.....

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Two words- Crew Cab.... Unless you build a true "motorhome" having anyone ride in the back is a bad idea and not legal in the US. When I was a teenager driving cross country for kayaking trips and competitions we used to ride in the back of a pickup with a shell to sleep between driving shifts. We all survived and never got arrested/ticketed but then again there were plenty of things we got away with.....

Strange as it may seem, it is legal to have passengers in a truck camper. I know, makes no sense and certainly doesn't seem like a good idea.

http://www.rvsafely.com/rvroadlaws.htm

JMacs

Observer
Good link to the road laws. Amazing how many states it is legal to ride in a 5th wheel.

I think the only way I will get the crew-cab with the C-800 is to start with an old fire truck and add back doors (most seem to be open in the back), or go back to the "winning the lottery" idea so I can pay someone to do it for me. Don't see me developing that kind of skill in the future.

This dream might have to wait till the daughter is off to college. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz