Air or CO2???

OldSven

Explorer
So here is my question, I have an MF-1050 air compressor in my truck and was looking at an air tank install to go with it. But how do the CO2 setups compare up? And can you run both? A compressor to a CO2 tank just incase you run low at the end of a trail?

atavuss

Adventurer
from what I have been reading the MF-1050 compressors are going to have a heck of a time building up enough air pressure to fill even a small tank with anything approaching 100 to 125psi. I was going to do this too until I researched it.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
OldSven said:
So here is my question, I have an MF-1050 air compressor in my truck and was looking at an air tank install to go with it. But how do the CO2 setups compare up? And can you run both? A compressor to a CO2 tank just incase you run low at the end of a trail?

You can have both, but it is not wise to hook you compressor up to a CO2 tank. I currently have a MF-1050 too, but will be upgrading to better compressor down the road. I also have a 5 gal tank that I will use to support the compressor. The (air) tank does have it's downfalls, especially in weight where a stronger compressor can do the job just fine.

If you go with a CO2 tank, I would suggest keeping the compressor as a back up. Redundancy is always good in the middle of "bumfuck and you got a preeetty mouth."

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Both have their ups and downs. It wouldn't be practical to fill a CO2 tank with your air compressor. But if you can afford to have an air compressor AND a CO2 tank for those trips where you want to take it, then you will have the best of both worlds.

I go into a little more commentary here

In a nutshell, if you can only choose one or the other:

1. If you don't plan on doing an extended trip somewhere that will exhaust your CO2 supply, then you will probably enjoy the CO2 more because it is much more powerful and much faster than a compressor.

2. If you don't like the idea of running out of CO2 on an expedition somewhere, and you don't like the idea of having to refill your CO2 tank (costs time & money) then you might want to choose the air compressor.

UncleChris

Adventurer
I have heard that the CO2 is a much better setup.

I have an ARB that starts heating up before it reinflates one tire.

I also have a cigarette lighter air pump that performs much better.

I am considering getting a CO2 system and keeping the ARB as a backup.

Steve Curren

Explorer
I have a Co2 tank and believe it is the way to go, it lasts about 4-5 times filling my 305/70 R16 tires from @ 15 to 35 pounds. I also have two tanks, I got the first one from Power Tank with the regulator, I found a 10 Lb. tank from Williams Ballons in California. I am also thinking hard about a compressor for a back up, the Co2 tank will blow a seal if the tank gets too hot, the seal is easily replaced and the place I filled up had them for free. I had one go on me 2 weekends ago and I had to borrow a friends tank. It only costs $5 to fill a 10 Lb. tank in Tucson.

OldSven

Explorer
For the money my 1050 was a great purchase. For my 255's it takes about 20-25 minutes to fill all of them. I wanted to buil the air tank set up for it but would like to use an air tool off it if the problem calls for it. what do people think of this idea instead of the expensive PowerTank? Thanks for the replys too.
co21.jpg

Steve Curren

Explorer
I have had a Co2 tank for a while and I know those who have had them for many years, make sure they are secured and all should be safe. That is a great price, I paid $83 and that was for a 10 Lb. tank. A good regulator also makes a difference.

Willman

atavuss said:
from what I have been reading the MF-1050 compressors are going to have a heck of a time building up enough air pressure to fill even a small tank with anything approaching 100 to 125psi. I was going to do this too until I researched it.

Great thread Oldsven!!!!!!

I have the same compressor....Out of curiosity......Where did you find that research????????.......I two am doing the air tank/compressor setup.....Thanks!!!

This takes me about 20 mins.....(15 psi to 35 psi)

DSC01123.jpg

Future air tank!!!! :luxhello:

DSC01208.jpg

OldSven

Explorer
That's a sweet white Tacoma in the background:shakin: Well the tank is on the list now to find the regulator?

Willman

nice find on the Wheelers page Flyingwil!!!!

Yes.... that is going to be my air tank....When i'm not out playing in the woods...The tank will have no psi to it.......Just incase some body crashes into me.....(knock on wood).........When i need it...flip a switch...YOU GOT AIR!!!! I'm going to tie my compressor to it w/ all the good stuff like regulators, bleeder, quick-disconnects etc....I think i might need a more beefyer compressor....Does anybody know or is running a great compressor like the one i'm talking about (besides bajataco)?? Where did Scott get his....i lost the link???

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles