Engine swap

mab

Observer
Is the idea of swapping a 4m50 turbo engine from an fg84 into an fg649 to replace the 4d34t viable?
Are there any other obvious or proven engine swaps for the Fg 649? With the super singles & the amount of crap I cart around, I find the power a little lacking, especially when towing.

Flys Lo

Adventurer
I'd keep the 4d34t and seek more power from it if possible, unless you are having issues with your current motor. It will be far away the cheapest and easiest options.
I'd fit an EGT guage pre-turbo, swap the turbo and start winding up the fuel screw.

If you want to do an engine swap, I'd look for something that is mechanically injected still, and not go down the path of Common Rail & EGR, although not sure what the bellhousing pattern is and what would be able to be dropped in without some machine work on an adapter.

dtruzinski

Explorer
@Flyslo - can you give us some product and part numbers for your recommendation? I am 100% aligned with MAB; I have a 2004 FG 649 and it would be absolutely welcomed to find a way to increase power without risking the reliability.

mab

Observer
Hello Flys Lo,
Thanks for the input. I can see the logic in your thinking. If I were to follow this path, do you have any idea what sort of increases are possible? I expect increase in power would be proportional to dollars spent?

Amesz00

Adventurer
Hi mab, by the sounds your 4d34 is stock? If so there are quite substantial gains to be had, 1st thing is to open up the exhaust, 3" with a hotdog style muffler, including 3" brake if possible. Next is intake, in the stock intake pipe there's a bunch of noise baffle things, best thing is to replace the plastic vertical tube with a 4" pipe with ram head. Next is chip (ultimately more power needs more fuel), I had a DPchip which worked ok but did increase the idle speed which was annoying. Due to the semi electrical IP there doesn't seem to be an easy way to adjust idle manually. I believe chiptuning do one also, though I have no exp.
Don't forget that more fuel = more heat so boost needs to be upped to compensate. I just unplugged the wastegate line (intending to fit a boost controller) and it didn't do anything crazy so I just left it. Stock boost is 10, WG unplugged it ran 14 (maxed out) and with chip ran 16 easily.
Before chip + extra boost I got 5.6km/L, after it got 5.85. I can't give you any kind of factual evidence of how much it improved, but it was marked.
Just my 2c...

mab

Observer
thanks for the info Amesz,

Part way there. have just removed the oem snorkel (which was rusted through)and installed a prototype 4" intake. Made out of pvc pipe but just to use as a mock up for a stainless one to be made. It does feel a little free-er with the bigger intake but the difference is subtle.
a 3" exhaust has been fitted but with a 2.5" exhaust brake so that seemed to defeat the idea of the 3" exhaust to me.
I have had it suggested that I replace the oem water separator in the fuel line with something less restrictive & ensure that there are no restrictions in the fuel line between tank & pump.
Do you see benefit in upgrading the turbo size as well vs the increased oomph from the intake/exhaust/chip scenario?

Note, I am an electrician so my mechanical knowledge is limited to self drilling screws and lego blocks. But I'm will to learn & have mechanical friends keen to punch the information into me.

I will need to find myself an reputable engine modificator locally to assist with pricing options, but that may take some research.

Amesz00

Adventurer
The latter pages of this thread has some suggestions for turbo's etc. The engine is fitted to a Landcruiser in this case, but the theory is the same.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/mitsubishi-4d34-2at3b-diesel-swap-into-96-fzj80.489409/

Thanks for the link flyslo, interesting conversion. Also raises another issue with the 3AT electronic version in the 649 that I had forgotten about. There is no actual 'boost compensator' on the fuel pump, rather its part of the ECU control. It allows next to zero off boost fuel, a large reason for why the motor is so doughy under 2000. The DPchip did nothing in particular to help this, just seemed to increase fuel by a linear amount across the board.

Ropey84

Amesz00 this is exactly wat I am after! More boat pulling power. Mate I have posted on other threads but if your keen or know any others that can help with a stock non turbo 4d34 I would be stoked. Coming down from karratha in jan for 5 weeks, will be looking at exhaust, turbo kit, and fitting a brake controller with a 12 volt supply. Any one intrested?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior