New rrc owner

Pogue

Workin on it
Hello all I came from the Fj80 world over to the less reliable side. Disregarded all practical advice and bought a 92 rrc sight unseen, no history or records, and 5 hrs from home as they are hens teeth in my area.

Drove home 80 mph with no drama. Everything works as it should except the drivers window only works when it wants and a lazy drivers' wiper. So far I've changed all fluids, plugs and wires are next but I've put 1000 miles on it and it just goes.

All new rubber bushings just arrived and I stumbled across a gently used ome medium kit for $80 the other day. Started bending tube today for a better roof rack, then it's on to the inside storage systems, looking for inspiration on that as I'll need the back seats still.

Any way I've been a long time lurker and finally am in a position in my life to both build a rig and use it. My boys are old enough to start taking 7+ day trips into NM and CO. Gonna be looking for advice and help, hopefully for a long time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    558.5 KB · Views: 44

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Congrats on the purchase and welcome! The Range Rover Classic is my favorite Rover of all. For me it just represents everything that Land Rover stands for: class, legendary off road ability and timelessness. It is also arguably the prettiest of all Rovers as well, being the only one to win a place in the Louvre. If I had to have only one vehicle for the rest of my life it would be my Range Rover Classic.

Last edited:

Pogue

Workin on it
Thanks! I've wanted since high school really, and there was a series III 109" around the corner from me and an 88" across the alley all in the space of six months, probably doubling the older rover population in town. I figured it must be a sign!! It's really been great, even though it hasn't needed much love yet I know it's coming.

Pogue

Workin on it
Actually Im in talks now to try and procure the 109, and it might come with a 95 rrc( fingers crossed!) If it works out I will keep one Classic and the 109, and build a hybrid 4bt coil sprung automatic swb series for my wife. Making up for lost time I guess

DougG

Actually Im in talks now to try and procure the 109, and it might come with a 95 rrc( fingers crossed!) If it works out I will keep one Classic and the 109, and build a hybrid 4bt coil sprung automatic swb series for my wife. Making up for lost time I guess
Oh man! You got it bad. Congrats. There's nothing like a range rover classic.

Mtanzania

You should be able to sell that roof rack you currently have fairly easily. It was a factory option and they are getting quite scarce. Welcome to this side!

dcproven

Adventurer
Welcome to the crazy side, after 6 Land Rovers (I still keep 2) it's fun and a lot of work and swearing involved with them, but the stupid smile in your face when you drive it, will tell you, you are doing it right :)

Pogue

Workin on it
Thanks everyone, yeah when I jump in I usually go a little overboard. I had 3 fj 80s and a 45 at the same time. Good info on the roof rack. Really wish I had history on this truck though. It's a 92 lse which I'm reading there's only 400 of. It seems to have all the options, plus all the dealer add ons like mud flaps, rack, etc. Is land Rover very helpful on vin research?

dcproven

Adventurer
There are several VIN decoders on the internet, if that is what you want. But top of the line Land Rovers usually have a ton of optional equipment and I don't think it shows on the VIN

Pogue

Workin on it
I tried a vin decoder, didn't turn up much. But I did track it back to a dealer in Chicago. Apparently in Illinois they can't tell you any information at all, other than they sold it. However the CO dealer was kind enough to leave out personal info of the previous owners and send me service records from 60k onwards, so at least I have that. More research has turned up an actual LSE option list, and as far as the rack, etc., most of that's coming off anyway. So as soon as the rest of this snow is gone I'll be back at the new suspension and rack

Pogue

Workin on it
Bringing this back up to the top, because I need advice. I am still driving the 92 every other day or so.

Since then I have gained a 95 5 speed discovery, body and interior are rough(runs fine but needs head gaskets, already ordered),
a 91 Hunter edition, body is rough, interior is ok(parked in a yard for 5-6 years due to what looks like overheating),
and an 06 supercharged HSE(bought and paid for, not here yet due to flooding of the entire south end of the damn state)
Although I passed on the 109 because of the extent of work it needed, I am still working on getting the 95 RRC that was supposed to come with it. I havent ever seen it. Don't know if its SWB or LWB, dont know color, condition, anything but all. I was told it "ran when parked"All of these were headed to the scrapper so I figured i could probably come up with something.

Now, with this pile o' rover what I would like to do is build a hybrid. Series rover body on the disco, Hunter, or 95 chassis, either shortened or lengthened depending on what I can find as far as complete series bodies. I know I just said I passed on a 109, but it is over halfway through a frame off resto and it is LHD. Way too nice to ruin for something like this. I'd prefer RHD and something that wouldnt be ruining a good truck.

Who has a Series body for me? Ideally I'd like to do 2, and 88 and a 109, but I'll start with whatever comes first. Ive called a few places but no one has called back or had anything.

sydneyman

Observer
welcome and congrats! as far as storage im thinking about a box in the storage area that would be equal to the height of the seats folded in the 1st position. that way i can bring a twin mattress pad and it will lay across the top of the box and the seats folded down. i can then have drawers or just leave it open out the back and use some plastic containers for whatever. also the box would be short enough that the rear seats can be used. so it would sleep 2 and seat 4. if that makes sense...

Pogue

Workin on it
I ended up building a box 8" high with 2 drawers that took up the floor of the cargo area. I still need room to carry gear for work on top of it, and wanted it covered by the factory cover. Worked out pretty much perfect. That truck is pretty well sorted. Lift, left the factory rack, 235/85/16s, runs great.

Now Im looking for leads on a Series truck that I can make a hybrid out of. More camping orineted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior