Project AWOL: 1986 CUCV M1010 Ambulance

DUVAC Removal "Plan B"

A commonly known weak point in these M1010’s is the Dual Voltage Alternator Controller (DUVAC). It’s made up of two components: the voltage regulator and the DUVAC box. From what I gather, the main function of this mysterious blue box is to take the 27-28V input from the top 24V 100A alternator, and step it down to ~14V to charge the front battery. For those that are unfamiliar with the M1010 24V system: it’s basically two 12V batteries in series, where the 24V load is taken from the rear battery +ve terminal, and 12V loads taken off the front battery +ve terminal. There are two 24V alternators, the bottom alternator charges both batteries in series at ~27V and the top alternator charges just the front battery at ~14V via the DUVAC to handle the various 12V loads. One plausible explanation for the 24V system, was to allow the CUCV's and other vehicles to boost a larger vehicle if needed (think 5 ton, armoured etc). For visual people, here's the charging system wiring diagram from the manual :Wow1:

M1010ChargingCircuits.jpg

After driving my new truck home and excitedly showing everyone how the A/C unit and heater works, flicking the spotlights on and off etc, the batteries had run down to the point that the truck wouldn’t start. I decided I’d boost it and take it out for a little spin to give the batteries a bit of a charge. Well, I didn’t make it far before the truck quit on me, the voltmeter was just dropping and dropping until the truck shut off a few blocks away. After getting another boost from a friendly and curious neighbour I limped my way back home.

As an aside, if you get one of these vehicles, make sure you think about what you’re doing when you go to boost it from a normal 12V vehicle. Common sense, but easy to forget: if you’re boosting the rear battery (24V at +ve terminal) you must connect your jumper cables from the 12V vehicle directly to the +ve and –ve terminals of the rear M1010 battery. If you put the cable on the +ve terminal and the engine block you’re hooked up to 24V! Bad! So basically, you need two good, isolated, 12V batteries to boost the M1010 which might mean two other 12V vehicles.

I decided it was time to dig into the electrical system to see what the problem was, and why my batteries were seemingly receiving no charge from the alternators. Instead of trying to deal with the DUVAC, I decided I would do what many M1010 owners have done and just get rid of the damn thing. I didn’t want to do a full 12V conversion as I would like to use the existing A/C and heater for the time being. I was also advised by my uncle, who works with large diesel engines (marine, generators) to keep the 24V starting system as he says it’s the way to go, especially in cold weather. For these reasons I decided to give the DUVAC REMOVAL PLAN B method a try. Another bonus with this method is that, should I decide to completely convert to 12V in the future, I’d already have a 12V alternator installed.

I ordered a LEECE-NEVILLE 12V 160A alternator on ebay, and started with the DUVAC removal. Man, this DUVAC thing was a mess. From what I had seen online, most people just tape and fold back all of this wiring. I didn’t like the idea of having a rats nest of unused wiring hanging under the hood, so I went all in and cut open the main wiring bundle, discarding the old grungy heat shield and tape.

IMG_4189.jpg IMG_4190.jpg

IMG_4192.jpg IMG_4194.jpg

IMG_4244.jpg IMG_4246.jpg

IMG_4247.jpg IMG_4197.jpg

Glow Plug Resistors

I also decided to do away with the resistors feeding power to the glow plug relay (GPR). This modification was a no-brainer, I'm not sure what the original designers were thinking. They have 24V coming off the bus bar, being stepped down to ~12V through a pair of resistors, then being fed into the GPR and glow plugs. All the while the GPR is mounted to the firewall, literally inches away from the 12V power bus.

All I did was remove the resistors and wire the GPR to the 12V bus. Done and Done. More photos to follow.

IMG_4188.jpg M1010GlowPlugCircuits.jpg

12V 160A Alternator (Leece-Neville 110-555JHO)

Pulled out the old 24V 100A Top alternator and replaced it with my new 12V 160A Alternator (Leece-Neville 110-555JHO). This is a "self-exciting" alternator so I no longer require the IGN wire, it's stand alone. It shares a common ground with the 24V alternator, and is connected to the positive terminal of the front (12V) battery. I'm hoping this will help eliminate my charging woes, or at least simplify my electrical system and make it more serviceable.

IMG_4175.jpg IMG_4177.jpg

The new alternator fit without any modification, and I reused the old pulley. It took a bit of patience to get it in the right position as it's not EXACTLY the same shape as the old one, and was contacting part of the mount.

More photos and details to follow, having iPhone issues.

In the meantime, here's one of my new LT315 70R17 COOPER DISCOVERER ATR's beside my current LT235 85R16 spare.. Just waiting to get some rims and I'll get these puppies test fitted. Hope they fit without the lift. (I'll be trimming the fenders)

IMG_4241.jpg

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
I also decided to do away with the resistors feeding power to the glow plug relay (GPR). This modification was a no-brainer, I'm not sure what the original designers were thinking. They have 24V coming off the bus bar, being stepped down to ~12V through a pair of resistors, then being fed into the GPR and glow plugs. All the while the GPR is mounted to the firewall, literally inches away from the 12V power bus.

All I did was remove the resistors and wire the GPR to the 12V bus. Done and Done. More photos to follow.

View attachment 257708 View attachment 257709

Yes and when the resistor goes bad, it sends 24v to all of your glowplugs. The glowplugs don't like that too much.

most simply rewire the controller out of the system. Hold the button for 5s, start rig.

I've bypassed the controller with a momentary push-button switch, however the glow plug relay still isn't clicking over, so I believe my problem lies elsewhere.

Going to follow the troubleshooting procedure from the TM, but I'll likely end up replacing the relay with a new ST85 relay anyways.

mtnbikerfred

Great idea. There is a thread on steel soldiers recommending a Ford relay instead. There is also a guy who sells an aftermarket replacement controller for under a hundred bucks.

Doghead Starter Relay

"Doghead relay" Starter Solenoid Replacement (Part # 7-01860-1)

Although I wasn't having any issues with the starter relay, I went ahead and replaced it. These relays are known to get stuck in the closed position, resulting in starter run-on and potentially expensive damage. After reading a few stories about people running into their garage looking for their socket set to disconnect their batteries as their starter is running non-stop, I figured it was worth the 40$ investment.

IMG_4416.JPG IMG_4418.JPG IMG_4420.jpg

I was gifted some LED floodlights to replace the dim utility lights on each side of the camper box, should be a significant improvement. These are the amazon cheapo version so we'll see how well they hold up, they seem pretty decent.

IMG_4439.jpg

Changed the transmission filter and fluid: the fluid seemed to be fairly new/clean, aside from this moth that met his end in there (somehow). Having a hard time figuring out how a moth could've gotten in there.

IMG_4286.jpg

technoweenie

"Doghead relay" Starter Solenoid Replacement (Part # 7-01860-1)

Although I wasn't having any issues with the starter relay, I went ahead and replaced it. These relays are known to get stuck in the closed position, resulting in starter run-on and potentially expensive damage. After reading a few stories about people running into their garage looking for their socket set to disconnect their batteries as their starter is running non-stop, I figured it was worth the 40$ investment.

View attachment 259138 View attachment 259134 View attachment 259135

I was gifted some LED floodlights to replace the dim utility lights on each side of the camper box, should be a significant improvement. These are the amazon cheapo version so we'll see how well they hold up, they seem pretty decent.

View attachment 259136

Changed the transmission filter and fluid: the fluid seemed to be fairly new/clean, aside from this moth that met his end in there (somehow). Having a hard time figuring out how a moth could've gotten in there.

View attachment 259137

I used the knockoff dually LEDs...

As usual, the pics do NOT do it justice...

I spent about $110 for 6 of them, 20W ea.

10694408_10204397244186394_7786205580295491492_o.jpg

I'm betting your lights are gonna be good to go, as well..

Keep us updated!

mountainman1010

Love your build. Very cool. What did you do with sevond alternator. 2nd alt. Where is it on truck. Is all the cargo box still 24 volt. But dies that mean only ac? Did you put a 12 volt in. I have seen 12 volt ac and heater in that style on amazon for 700 bucks. Another question. What is largest tire you can put on without cutting fender. And man those side lights are cool. You can see all around you.

stevo-mt

I fell in love with those lights as well. I have a couple more to install with 3 right now. I was going to make them swivel on a RAM ball mount and try that out. I like your build so far!

Did your truck come stock in the back with the rack setup? I was fiddling trying to get my air conditioning to work and I found a fuse panel in the rear under the drivers side over the tire storage. After two years I never bothered to look behind the cover and then I discovered there was a bunch of wiring ran to the rear. A person might be able to incorporate that into your cabin wiring if that is still there. All you would have to do at that point is install a battery isolator solenoid to your cabin batteries. There was even one of those anderson power plugs (like what the winches use that are disconnectable with a receiver hitch for 12v) in front of that. Needless to say if I would have known this existed my wiring would probably turned out simpler.

SORRY everyone for the long dryspell on this thread, but I'm going to try to post some more updates. I've been pretty short on time and funds this summer so the build has been moving along at a crawl.
I did however complete a bikepacking trip on the Colorado Trail! (but that's a story for another thread)

20002232664_80b7c486a5_k.jpg

20438288249_c181080806_k.jpg

I used the knockoff dually LEDs...

As usual, the pics do NOT do it justice...

I spent about $110 for 6 of them, 20W ea.

View attachment 269385

I'm betting your lights are gonna be good to go, as well..

Keep us updated!

looks like a slick setup technoweenie... how did you wire up those rear-facing LED spotlights?
I have a pair mounted in the same location and I'm trying to determine the best way to connect them to my panel in the cab. I'm not too keen on the idea of drilling a hole in the camper box, but I think it may be the tidiest option. Drill a hole close to where each light is mounted then run the pigtail into the camper and wire from there?

There's also that gutter that runs around the camper box, could run the wires in there, to the front of the box and down between the cab/camper... not sure how I feel about having all my wiring sitting in that gutter if it's full of water though.

Love your build. Very cool. What did you do with sevond alternator. 2nd alt. Where is it on truck. Is all the cargo box still 24 volt. But dies that mean only ac? Did you put a 12 volt in. I have seen 12 volt ac and heater in that style on amazon for 700 bucks. Another question. What is largest tire you can put on without cutting fender. And man those side lights are cool. You can see all around you.

The 2nd alternator is still in place, on the passenger side, below my new 12V alternator. The cargo box and starter are all still 24V, and run off the two batteries in series... the heater and the A/c run no problem off the 24V post in the camper box (below the driver side bench, which I've removed)

Not sure what the biggest tire you can fit without cutting, but I'd guess maybe 33"? Whenever I can afford a set of new rims, I'll test fit the 35's and post my findings on here.

I fell in love with those lights as well. I have a couple more to install with 3 right now. I was going to make them swivel on a RAM ball mount and try that out. I like your build so far!

Did your truck come stock in the back with the rack setup? I was fiddling trying to get my air conditioning to work and I found a fuse panel in the rear under the drivers side over the tire storage. After two years I never bothered to look behind the cover and then I discovered there was a bunch of wiring ran to the rear. A person might be able to incorporate that into your cabin wiring if that is still there. All you would have to do at that point is install a battery isolator solenoid to your cabin batteries. There was even one of those anderson power plugs (like what the winches use that are disconnectable with a receiver hitch for 12v) in front of that. Needless to say if I would have known this existed my wiring would probably turned out simpler.

stevo-mt, mine did come with the two benches in the back. I removed the driver side bench and I've incorporated that fuse panel and power distribution into my camper wiring.

IMG_5552.jpg

It's changed quite a bit since that photo, but you get the idea. I decided to leave the 24V positive post back there (which is connected to the 24V bar under the hood) to run the heater and the air conditioner (both run pretty well).
I also ran a second wire from my 12V bus bar under the hood back into the camper, with a battery isolator solenoid to charge my camper battery. As of right now the camper battery is connected to my compressor for on-board air and to my inverter. The 12V and 24V items in the camper share a ground post on that fuse panel, which is connected to the negative bus bar under the hood.

I'll snap a few more up to date photos and get them up.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz